PDA

View Full Version : New MeeGo screenshots?

johnny_knoe
2010-09-03, 00:57
Hi,
just found this link in a comment by "jim" on the my nokia blog:

http://meego.com/developers/ui-design-guidelines/handset/customizing-visual-appearance

Klick next page to see more screenshots.

For me they are new and look promising. I hope we get some official infos at nokia world in a few days...

darksurfer
2010-09-03, 01:15
Someone please tell me all this can and WILL be able to run on the N900!!!

Awesome overall design! Kudos to the people behind it!

maluka
2010-09-03, 01:48
This was already posted in another thread earlier.

NvyUs
2010-09-03, 01:52
loads more on here http://mynokiablog.com/
the lockscreen is awesome it displays if you have messages and stuff
i'm loving the black theme more than the blue

HellFlyer
2010-09-03, 02:16
You know what i like mostly in MeeGo? I can see some familiar things from Maemo :D

Look at the GPS and Phone signal indicators ..so cool

somedude
2010-09-03, 02:29
anyone notice it says '4G' on the status bar by the signal where is is kind of grayed out.

F2thaK
2010-09-03, 02:32
get f**ked!! that device looks amazing !! cant wait

Bratag
2010-09-03, 02:38
Looks like the eye candy everyone was whining about being missing on the N900 is there in spades for this new interface. Must say - it has a certain appeal

automagic68
2010-09-03, 02:43
OMG that is sexy....makes Maemo5 look real low on the productivity scale. I love how everything else doesn't get pushed off the screen when moving to multitaking view like it does in Maemo5.

bxbomber
2010-09-03, 02:52
Now we just have to wait for the phone to come out.

wmarone
2010-09-03, 03:03
Now we just have to wait for the phone to come out.

All of those are on the MeeGo wiki so there's good possibility they may end up available to people using the N900 imqages.

NvyUs
2010-09-03, 03:07
anyone like the orange/white/silver theme.
theming is going to be much fun on MeeGo i must make more effort to learn to make themes for MeeGo i lost interest on a maem0 theme i started to make, lets hope there is good theme making tools
http://meego.com/developers/ui-design-guidelines/handset/ui-customization-guidelines/brand-guidelines-base
@somedude the 4G sign is even easier to see on screenshots in above link.

bxbomber
2010-09-03, 03:18
anyone like the orange/white/silver theme.
theming is going to be much fun on MeeGo i must make more effort to learn to make themes for MeeGo i lost interest on a maem0 theme i started to make, lets hope there is good theme making tools
http://meego.com/developers/ui-design-guidelines/handset/ui-customization-guidelines/brand-guidelines-base
@somedude the 4G sign is even easier to see on screenshots in above link.

I'm really liking the white, silver, organge.

Feels reel soft on the eyes.

jerryfreak
2010-09-03, 03:45
i sure hope the first RC of meego for the n900 is relatively fully functional and not a compromise like the android port (no offense guys). while droidnit is a community project i understand there will be multiple steps of development. i am hoping that since meego is being tested out behind the scsnes on n900 that the release will be pretty complete when it sees the light of day

Odd_gunnic
2010-09-03, 03:47
I wonder what happens in the case of multiple missed calls.

Would the bar expand or maybe a x4 shows as in the case of multiple email notifications on Maemo 5.

Really looks good tho.

NvyUs
2010-09-03, 03:48
i sure hope the first RC of meego for the n900 is relatively fully functional and not a compromise like the android port (no offense guys). while droidnit is a community project i understand there will be multiple steps of development. i am hoping that since meego is being tested out behind the scsnes on n900 that the release will be pretty complete when it sees the light of day

its not being done behind the scenes you can go ahead and install a development versions now if you wish, of course its not fully functional yet but it does get weekly updates.

jerryfreak
2010-09-03, 04:03
does it have a ui yet? i thought it was basically CLI at this point.

NvyUs
2010-09-03, 04:08
does it have a ui yet? i thought it was basically CLI at this point.

its had UI for a while there is videos of it on n900 what ppl have made
its far from complete and very buggy at the moment

tso
2010-09-03, 04:54
Now to get it on something like the archos 5IT or another non-phone device.

sands.m
2010-09-03, 04:58
No thanks .

I love MAEMO as is.

mokkey
2010-09-03, 05:01
the screenshots looks so beautiful !!!!

Stskeeps
2010-09-03, 05:07
Now to get it on something like the archos 5IT or another non-phone device.

Already on 5IT, go see #meego twitter for a photo :P

tso
2010-09-03, 05:23
Already on 5IT, go see #meego twitter for a photo :P
But still rough around the edges, iirc. I was thinking more like a officially supported product from a big brand.

YoDude
2010-09-03, 14:18
the screenshots looks so beautiful !!!!

Downright sexy...

http://meego.com/sites/all/files/users/u10030/switcher_green.png

...in a Georgia O'Keeffe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_O%27Keeffe) kind of way. . :p

wovenstringz
2010-09-03, 14:41
There are bits of it that look a lot like the WebOS on Palm Pre....Does it also "throw the cards off the screen" to close apps?

atilla
2010-09-03, 14:47
looks better then the other pics i saw.
i hope that meego will be a multitasking monster like maemo5
will be meego opensource like maemo?

slaapliedje
2010-09-03, 14:49
Is it me, or does Android look / act like crap compared to how this looks (appears to act) like it's going to turn out?

Awesome. Can't wait to try it out on my N900.

Enyibinakata
2010-09-03, 14:53
Is it me, or does Android look / act like crap compared to how this looks (appears to act) like it's going to turn out?

Awesome. Can't wait to try it out on my N900.

Well android is not going to stand still, is it ?. Gingerbread promises to be a vast improvement over the current UI not to talk of its successor HoneyComb. I think WebOS still looks the best of the lot and Win Phone 7 is not that bad either.

For me its not about eye candy, its about stability and responsiveness which the Maemo 5 is rubbish at, as much as I like my N900, I nearly smashed it today due to slow Email and unacceptable UI lag. Nokia have got a fight on their hands and they are yet to show me they can win. I hope I am dead wrong but we shall see.
:mad:

tso
2010-09-03, 14:54
There are bits of it that look a lot like the WebOS on Palm Pre....Does it also "throw the cards off the screen" to close apps?
Given the X in the upper right corner, i suspect the answer to be "no".

mistman
2010-09-03, 15:04
What would be the first mobile device we could see this on N8/N9 ??

patlak
2010-09-03, 15:35
Could someone make the dark theme, please :)
Btw I love how you can immediatelly switch from grid type of multitasking view to carousel by pinching :) interesting :)

TheBootroo
2010-09-03, 15:52
NEEEEEEEEEEEEED !!!

(please take a look at my own desktop environment, developped in Qt4/C++ and which will be installe don a MeeGo Core base system : http://modern-os.projects.servhome.org/news-item?id=77 excuse me the website is in french because i am)

fatalsaint
2010-09-03, 16:41
What would be the first mobile device we could see this on N8/N9 ??

First one we will see it on is probably (most likely) the N900 and the Intel Moorestown Handset.

First one to ship with it will be none of the above (well, maybe the N9).

In fact, we may never see this exact UI on anything but the dev devices shipped. Most handset manufacturers will like add their own twist to the UI/UX on the devices.

Good chance that the Harmattan device could be similar since it's been said they are going to use the Reference UI and add their own proprietary software to make the "UX" a little different.

YoDude
2010-09-03, 17:04
NEEEEEEEEEEEEED !!!

(please take a look at my own desktop environment, developped in Qt4/C++ and which will be installe don a MeeGo Core base system : http://modern-os.projects.servhome.org/news-item?id=77 excuse me the website is in french because i am)

Ce sont des images de l'interface utilisateur de comprimés, d'accord?

S'il vous plaît excuser mon mauvais français, because I am not. :)

TheBootroo
2010-09-03, 17:07
i think the Harmattan video seen few days ago on youtube and then removed was the vanilla handset ux with a nokia CSS skin (beautiful) !

TheBootroo
2010-09-03, 17:08
YoDude : i didn't understood your questoion, please repeat but in english (i'm french but speak english quite well, so ou don't need to speak french for me...)

TheBootroo
2010-09-03, 17:13
humm, retranslating your question to english trought google i saw 'comprimé' meaning tablet !
so to answer, it' not realy for tablets, its for convertible devices (primary notebooks or netbook) with eventually a (detachable or not) touchscreen....

i'was thinking about doing a phone (handset) UX for this but MeeGo seems to be better than me for that so i'll stay on Computer or eventually tablets for my OS.

PS : it's an OS for noobs, not for geeks or professionals, so not too many cuztomizations are possible and there are only one program by type of usage (that why i call them Activities and not Applications or Programs).

NB : this is not finished at all, i'm full time working on it a the moment, but i'm the only developper so it's not that speed... but it's going on tough...

mmurfin87
2010-09-03, 18:19
Nokia is fail. End of story. Screenshots look interesting... for 2 years ago.

The level of jadedness I feel for all things Nokia right now is so ridiculous I feel like I finally have a hold on reality.

Bratag
2010-09-03, 18:23

The level of jadedness I feel for all things Nokia right now is so ridiculous I feel like I finally have a hold on reality.

Thankyou for this insightful and completely pointless post. I get the feeling they could have shown shots of fully hardware accelerated cod 4 playing as a live wallpaper and you would have given the same response.

arcticrobot
2010-09-03, 18:56

Poor guy. So what exactly are you doing here?

atilla
2010-09-03, 19:14

ahhmmm what?
its ok what your think i mean its your opinion but what do you do in a nokia community?
crazy guy

btw:ok i gotta go i will register into a nintendo wii forum to tell them in 300 posts how crappy it is(sry nintendo fans but thats my opinion)

danramos
2010-09-03, 19:28
Looks nice! It finally looks a lot like a cross between Android and WebOS--which is a VERY good thing. Kudos!

Bratag
2010-09-03, 19:33
Looks nice! It finally looks a lot like a cross between Android and WebOS--which is a VERY good thing. Kudos!

Plus a good smattering of the stuff I really liked in Maemo - the dismissal of alerts etc.

gerbick
2010-09-03, 19:39

I just tweeted that earlier today. I'm not sure I like it.

It's gone from squared off to curves in the UI, and an app carousel that invokes WebOS memories.

I'm... not sure about this iteration.

danramos
2010-09-03, 19:44
Plus a good smattering of the stuff I really liked in Maemo - the dismissal of alerts etc.

I'm not sure what you're referring to. Tell me in which images you see that?

I just tweeted that earlier today. I'm not sure I like it.

It's gone from squared off to curves in the UI, and an app carousel that invokes WebOS memories.

I'm... not sure about this iteration.

Aww, I rather like it but hopefully that's all themeable n'junk.

silvermountain
2010-09-03, 20:24
Thankyou for this insightful and completely pointless post. I get the feeling they could have shown shots of fully hardware accelerated cod 4 playing as a live wallpaper and you would have given the same response.

And replies like that contributes more how?

danramos
2010-09-03, 20:39
And replies like that contributes more how?

They increment the comment post numbers, I suppose. :P
Wait--how did YOUR comment contribute??
How does MY reply now contribute???
AUGH!!

silvermountain
2010-09-03, 21:21
They increment the comment post numbers, I suppose. :P
Wait--how did YOUR comment contribute??
How does MY reply now contribute???
AUGH!!

A vicious circle indeed.

jerryfreak
2010-09-03, 21:39
thanks for the update. im sure it will be all over this board once its ready for prime time

lwa
2010-09-03, 23:21
'looks' good, but i dont think i like the feel of it.... if you keep clicking through the document you get to 'use flows' which indicates there is no multiple desktops with widgets. i remember a old document mentioning a 'widget space' which may still exist but i dont think it will be what people are expecting..

YoDude
2010-09-04, 01:37
YoDude : i didn't understood your questoion, please repeat but in english (i'm french but speak english quite well, so ou don't need to speak french for me...)

Sorry about that. :o I rely on 2 years of school house lessons from a long time ago for my spelling and my phrasing was absorbed in Wallonia.

Tablet was exactly what I meant. This is very interesting work you are doing. Your post reminds me of another reason why I think MeeGo will be widely used.

Notice I said widely. With other mobile OS's people seem to be judging success based on how deep their use is in only one segment of the future mobile device market, mobile phones.

The future of this OS is not only in mobile phones but in markets that other mobile OS's haven't even penetrated yet. Assisted living devices for speech synthesis, kiosks used in markets, or remote data collection; to name just a few. Many future embedded devices and appliances haven't even been imagined yet. :eek:

H,mmm...

All these devices can now be as complex or as simple as the branding OEM wishes to make them. Technical talent could move freely between verticle markets and not be niched into one that eventualy goes the way of the telegraph. :)

For OEM's the potential talent pool will become huge and technical support costs will drop.

BTW, you are lucky I didn't subject you to my spoken French. It is atrocious but has some value at most cocktail parties and taverns on the continent...

Except in Paris. People there just seem to outright ignore me. :)

I also apparently have a thick Philadelphia accent. Residents of Lyon think that this accent along with my phrasing is somehow mocking of the way they talk. Tensions rise during the conversation and I usually end up in a fight and have no idea why. :D

TheBootroo
2010-09-04, 02:51
LOL :D

(and thanks for appreciating my work, its quite hard and i'm the only dev on this ATM)

j.s
2010-09-04, 04:01
loads more on here http://mynokiablog.com/
the lockscreen is awesome it displays if you have messages and stuff
i'm loving the black theme more than the blue

What does "Drop to unlock" mean? I know what is meant by unlock in this context, but what the heck does "drop" mean?

tso
2010-09-04, 04:43
drag & drop the round thing inside the square.

sdesai
2010-09-07, 07:07
http://asia.cnet.com/i/r/2010/crave/hp/63020662/meegoui1_600x450.jpg

http://asia.cnet.com/i/r/2010/crave/hp/63020662/meegoui2_600x450.jpg

http://asia.cnet.com/i/r/2010/crave/hp/63020662/meegoui3_600x450.jpg

http://asia.cnet.com/i/r/2010/crave/hp/63020662/meegoui4_600x450.jpg

http://asia.cnet.com/i/r/2010/crave/hp/63020662/meegoui5_600x450.jpg

ajflex
2010-09-07, 13:46
meego os looking good for Nokia n900 and expected apps yet to come

danramos
2010-09-09, 21:55
I swear those screenshots make it REALLY look a lot like a bunch of the Android themes I've seen--total compliment, mind you. If you can get there this quickly, hopefully it'll function/look better sooner than later. :)

qwazix
2010-09-09, 22:00
it looks as an android-iphone bastard to me, I still prefer maemo5...
________
Cheap glass bongs (http://glassbongs.org/)

danramos
2010-09-09, 22:03
it looks as an android-iphone bastard to me, I still prefer maemo5...

Maemo's dead, didn't you hear? You need to move on, lad.

AndiThebest
2010-09-09, 22:27
Same bad multitasking than in webOS :(
when there is not the nice multitasking overview from maemo5, i won't switch to meego.

danramos
2010-09-09, 22:35
when there is not the nice multitasking overview from maemo5, i won't switch to meego.

I'm sorry to have to admit this, but I have NO idea what that jumbled phrasing is trying to communicate except that there's some failed statement of comparison to WebOS and a fragment of sentence indicating that you don't intend to use MeeGo.

maxximuscool
2010-09-09, 23:24
Maemo is dead, so the only way out is MeeGo, Let see if we can get meego running like natively on our N900.

fatalsaint
2010-09-10, 00:29
I'm sorry to have to admit this, but I have NO idea what that jumbled phrasing is trying to communicate except that there's some failed statement of comparison to WebOS and a fragment of sentence indicating that you don't intend to use MeeGo.

I think I get him (her?). He's looking at the "card"-like multi-task view in the screen shots which look near exactly the same as the WebOS cards. Evidently he doesn't like that, and prefers Maemo 5's grid-based system.

Where I'm confused.. is in the next picture down it shows that MeeGo also has a grid system.. so it appears, at least, to allow either/or (grid or sliding cards).

So.. I think I understand what he said.. but I don't understand his complaint.

AndiThebest
2010-09-10, 07:44
Where I'm confused.. is in the next picture down it shows that MeeGo also has a grid system.. so it appears, at least, to allow either/or (grid or sliding cards).

Ah, I'm sorry, I didn't see the grid based multitask screenshots. puh, so i think i'll like meego (if its able to do the same things ike m5) ;)

techie
2010-09-10, 07:55
Actually Meego supports both types of multitasking overview.The card layout from the webOS and the grid layout from maemo 5.
Extract from official Meego site
Users can use a pinch multi-touch motion to change the switcher into an overview mode. By pinching in, thumbnails move into a grid display. The grid can scale up to a 3x3 version, thereafter the switcher then starts to create new pages. Pinching out, while in the grid mode, changes the view back to larger stacked mode.
So to summarise doing a multitouch pinch action can switch between the multitasking view you prefer.
However the Meego port for Nokia N900 will only show card-layout multitasking since its not capacitive screen and cannot do multitouch.

johnel
2010-09-10, 07:58
NEEEEEEEEEEEEED !!!

Actually I think something like this can benefit any Linux system.

KDE & Gnome are bloated and something more streamlined (Qt-based) will be useful.

Great Work!

tso
2010-09-10, 07:59
Unless someone adds a toggle button/option...

fatalsaint
2010-09-10, 14:14
So to summarise doing a multitouch pinch action can switch between the multitasking view you prefer.
However the Meego port for Nokia N900 will only show card-layout multitasking since its not capacitive screen and cannot do multitouch.

Well.. isn't that frustrating :(.

I don't have much against the card system but the grid method is definitely easier to switch between tasks that aren't right next to each other.

Multi-touch..... feh.

Stskeeps
2010-09-10, 14:27
Well.. isn't that frustrating :(.

I don't have much against the card system but the grid method is definitely easier to switch between tasks that aren't right next to each other.

Multi-touch..... feh.

Report a bug - I'm sure we can come up with a gesture that work with single-touch. I mean, the code's open source, it's not rocket science :)

danramos
2010-09-11, 00:59
Sometimes it's easy for a plain user (un-developers) to forget about it and need reminding. Thanks, Stskeeps!

Helmuth
2010-09-11, 01:13
I filled a bug about a very similar problem. They are implementing at the moment a setting for this: Bug 4300 (http://bugs.meego.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4300)

Perhaps if there is no possibility in the near future to switch the view at the N900 we should be able to change this setting at the terminal to set our prefered style. :)

On the other side... we could use the volume/zoom Buttons at the task switcher to change the view. (like zooming at the image viewer) - perhaps the more handy solution compared to a crappy multitouch gestue. :)

Who will fill the Bug? :)

qwazix
2010-09-21, 16:39
Maemo's dead, didn't you hear? You need to move on, lad.

No I don't! N95 was dead years ago, but I didn't jump to every miserable Nseries after it until the N900. I can wait as long as the N900 still works and I can even buy another one if it stops, until there is something I like better.
________
LIVE SEX WEBSHOWS (http://livesexwebshows.com/)