PDA

View Full Version : n800 life with a Mac?

helix
2007-05-04, 19:37
Greetings,

NuB is the place for me as I am just getting started...

Given that the Nokia install wizard is for Windows AND I'm currently limited to dialup ISP from home how would I go about updating my OS on a Mac? (I have a USB card reader for my mini SD card)

Thanks in advance!

mian
2007-05-05, 01:36
I have been able to flash my device from my mac using 770Flasher.app. You can find the application at http://www.bleb.org/software/770/. I'm not sure it will work with the n800, but I was able to flash the 770 hacker edition using the application.

helix
2007-05-05, 14:27
Thanx mian, I'll give it a try.

I thought there might be an active Mac user community in the ITablet world, am I wrong?

mian
2007-05-05, 16:22
There are few mac users on these boards. I've owned a 770 for about a year and this is the best place to find answers to your questions. Let me know if it works for you.

GeneralAntilles
2007-05-05, 16:49
Yes, the 770 flasher utility works perfectly for my N800.

Beyond firmware updates, there really isn't a whole lot that you need a computer for with the Nokia tablets so there isn't a lot of discussion of integration with any platform.

helix
2007-05-07, 07:33
Ummm...

I seem to have missed a step. I downloaded the ...2007 .bin file and the 770flasher app onto my mac, shut down my tablet as per the flasher instructions and continued in the flasher app. the console window appeared and displayed "No USB device detected, waiting..." So I thought "yeah there IS no device connected..." so I tried turning on the n800 with the usb cable a. plugged in, b. unplugged, c. unplugged Bluetooth on, still nada.

What am I doing wrong? I cant seem to find any documentation on 770Flasher. The Mac only displays the application itself. And I cant open the info.plist files that are recognized on the n800.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

helix
2007-05-07, 22:19
Oops... I didn't look hard enough.

http://maemo.org/community/wiki/HOWTO_FlashLatestNokiaImageWithMacOSX
has a very good HOWTO on 770Flasher.

I'm up and running thanx for the suggestions.