PDA

View Full Version : Stowaway keyboard problems?

funkapus
2005-12-08, 07:47
Has anybody else had problems using a Stowaway keyboard with the 770? I installed the 770 BT driver and it seems to work just fine, but I'm having some issues with the data that the keyboard sends.

In particular, if I press any of the function keys (which are necessary to access any of the number keys), it prints "="--treating the function key as a character keypress rather than a modifier keypress (like shift or alt). This makes the keyboard essentially unusable, as you have to go back and delete all of the equals signs every time you try to type any characters that require a function key.

Has anybody else had this problem, or figured out a way around it?

aflegg
2005-12-08, 09:47
Nope, works fine for me with the keyboard I got yesterday.

Which app are you using? One thing I noticed is that if you connect the keyboard then the foreground application needs a trigger to notice the input method change. Opening the system menu or switching to another app and back again seems to fix it.

HTH,

Andrew

funkapus
2005-12-09, 05:53
Interesting--I think this problem is limited to HTML textareas, the large text-input controls that you use to enter long text. I do not see this problem in the email app, the notes app, or the browser when entering in URLs in the location bar or short bits of text in HTML input controls like a username/password box. However, in Gmail, Blogger and this forum's post interface, I've been able to reproduce the problem every time.

In fact, I tried to post this message from my 770 using the keyboard to illustrate what sort of characters I'm seeing, but my 770 crashed when I pressed Preview Post. The crash may just be a coincidence, though--I had some network errors just before the crash, and my 770 has crashed a few times immediately following network issues.

aflegg
2005-12-09, 19:19
Ah, indeed - I can confirm there's something screwy going on with textareas in Opera.

The 'Fn' is getting treated as a keypress in its own right, and even auto-repeats. Very odd indeed.

I wonder if the problem also afflicts the Nokia Bluetooth keyboard.

There's a simple form containing a textarea here:

http://www.bleb.org/misc/foo.html

I've just used this to test myself.

Cheers,

Andrew

mtoneman
2005-12-14, 12:53
Drat, I have the same problem in Gmail... :confused:

funkapus
2005-12-16, 21:29
I filed a maemo bug on this issue:

https://maemo.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=333