PDA

View Full Version : N800 & Connecting To Razr V3 - Cingular??

Boil-It
2007-05-09, 03:19
I have tried for awhile now but no luck in accessing the internet from my N800 - cellphone modem connection. I can connect via my home pc wireless router without a problem. The phone is a Cingular/Motorola V3 Razr. I have enabled the Bluetooth and went through the N800 wizard to pair them up. That seemed to go fine. When I went to connect to the internet via the N800 all I got was a 'couldn't connect' message. Initially on the phone it wanted me to grant access to the N800. I changed a setting inside which made that automatic. I just want to set it up in case I am on the road and want to connect. I do not want a data plan from Cingular. I might use it once in awhile. Can anyone explain how to in layman's terms or steps? What am I doing wrong? I thought it would be straightforward. Thanks for the help!!

CobraKC
2007-05-09, 04:40
This is what i did when connecting to cingular. In control panel select connections, then choose your phone connection then edit. In the next screen there are 2 lines where you need to replace with 'wap'.

I believe it sould say wap.cigular, and wap@cingulargprs.com. Leave the other lines as they are such as password etc. Let me know if this works. Also IM assuming you chose cingular internet as the default choice.

CobraKC

Milhouse
2007-05-09, 04:56
According to the Bluetooth DUN Compatability (http://maemo.org/community/wiki/BluetoothDUN) list (please excuse the formatting - hopefully only a temporary problem) the V3 Razr should support DUN.

It sounds like you've done the right things so far: pair the phone and N800, flag the N800 as trusted on the phone then surf the web. I did find bug #1217 (https://maemo.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=1217) which may be the cause of your problem, give it a go and see if it makes any difference.

To change details...

1. Go into Control Panel -> Connectivity, press Connections button
2. Select your Bluetooth phone connection then Edit button
3. Next
4. Change username, password and address ("Access point name" in dialog) as per bug #1217 (https://maemo.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=1217)
5. Finish

Hope it helps.

EDIT: I need to learn to type faster... ;)

rm -rf
2007-05-09, 08:45
Beware of Cingular data charges. It could get very expensive. Think in terms of $1 per page while browsing.

Boil-It
2007-05-09, 22:23
Thank you guys! Your suggestions worked. I changed it to wap.cingular and all is well. Now while it would be expensive to do...I can at least do it on occasion if I like. I would never have figured that out. It makes the N800 more useful so you could use it in a car on a trip via your cell phone. THANKS AGAIN!!! I appreciate the help!!!:)

Delphipgmr
2007-05-09, 22:57
for those who dont know this...

If you sign up for cingulars $20/month unlimited access (Medianet unlimited) for your cell phone (IE: you have a qualifying phone such as the razor/lg500 etc). Cingular CANNOT tell the difference if you are on your phone or on your nokia.

all of cingulars dataplans are "on your honor", the only thing that changes your charge is the contract (what you admit to).

As far as their network is concerned, they see your phone connecting, not your handheld.

Teathering is a feature of your phone, not the plan, when you teather your nokia to your phone, the nokia is getting internet access from your phone... you phone inturn gets it from cingular. Cingular sees it as only your phone getting access.

I've been on cingulars $20/month plan for months and use it all the time, and have never been charged a penny in connect charges. (so this isnt hear-say, I Personally use it and have checked)

and fYI: these are the numbers i get (download/upload) on my lg500 :

GPRS network = 50K/32K
Edge: 100K/150K
3G: 400K/500K

and yes, i get better upload than download speed for some reason.

rm -rf
2007-05-09, 23:32
for those who dont know this...

If you sign up for cingulars $20/month unlimited access (Medianet unlimited) for your cell phone (IE: you have a qualifying phone such as the razor/lg500 etc). Cingular CANNOT tell the difference if you are on your phone or on your nokia.

all of cingulars dataplans are "on your honor", the only thing that changes your charge is the contract (what you admit to).

As far as their network is concerned, they see your phone connecting, not your handheld.

Teathering is a feature of your phone, not the plan, when you teather your nokia to your phone, the nokia is getting internet access from your phone... you phone inturn gets it from cingular. Cingular sees it as only your phone getting access.

Cingular proxies all connections and obviously can watch what you do anytime they want. You don't suppose that looking at http headers would tell them your browser type? Or that a cell phone connecting to Windows Update would be a giveaway?

I've heard of peoples data getting blocked after tethering on a non-tethering data plan, even though most people seem to get away with it.

Delphipgmr
2007-05-10, 00:33
not without a court order can they monitor anything with your connection, that is an invasion of privacy.

(and yes, i am an attorney)

Delphipgmr
2007-05-10, 00:35
and im sure the ones you've heard about are the idiots who call tech support asking how to teather....

I also checked my bill, they dont even monitor KB's on unlimited plans

O.G.
2007-05-17, 13:19
Hey Delph, sent you a message. I am having the same problem but with my 770. New user and member here. Just got this yesterday and trying to get it squared away. I have the same LG CU500 with unlimited broadband access plan and can't seem to get this to work. I know I must be doing something wrong.

rm -rf
2007-05-18, 01:10
and im sure the ones you've heard about are the idiots who call tech support asking how to teather....

I also checked my bill, they dont even monitor KB's on unlimited plans

Here's the details from my Cingular bill (on-line):

05/14 07:54 AM Internet/MEdia Net 24KB
05/13 04:01 PM Internet/MEdia Net 179KB
05/13 03:58 PM Internet/MEdia Net 159KB
05/13 03:58 PM Internet/MEdia Net 4KB

You don't suppose that they have a log of my activity somewhere? Maybe they just make that stuff up?

No doubt they cannot share their logs with anyone other than themselves without some kind of court order. That seems to be standard practice now-a-days. The dudes in suites from agencies with 3 letter acryonyms seem to be pretty familiar with what papers they do & don't need, at least in my experience.

I'd be interested in a citation of the law or FCC ruling or some such thing that tells an ISP that they cannot log IP addresses, bytes, number of packets, etc. on their own networks, and use that data to enforce the TOS that their customers signed? (not voice conversations or packet contents, just the envelope that routes the data.)

lilnyc
2007-06-07, 22:07
According to the Bluetooth DUN Compatability (http://maemo.org/community/wiki/BluetoothDUN) list (please excuse the formatting - hopefully only a temporary problem) the V3 Razr should support DUN.

It sounds like you've done the right things so far: pair the phone and N800, flag the N800 as trusted on the phone then surf the web. I did find bug #1217 (https://maemo.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=1217) which may be the cause of your problem, give it a go and see if it makes any difference.

To change details...

1. Go into Control Panel -> Connectivity, press Connections button
2. Select your Bluetooth phone connection then Edit button
3. Next
4. Change username, password and address ("Access point name" in dialog) as per bug #1217 (https://maemo.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=1217)
5. Finish

Hope it helps.

EDIT: I need to learn to type faster... ;)

I don't understand. Those were already my settings, and there's not an Address field, rather a Domain and Access Point name. I'm still confused, and the N800 is still not connecting :(

brendan
2007-06-07, 22:23
i followed this tutorial and have had no issues when linking the n800 to my phone.

http://www.tabletcorner.com/nokia770/guides/razr.html

when i did set it up, i did not connect to the internet, intentionally. the phone did register as 'GPRS Connnected' on the screen, though. because i have flashed the device a few times, i have had the opportunity to do this a few times, and each time it has worked.

lilnyc
2007-06-07, 22:49
i followed this tutorial and have had no issues when linking the n800 to my phone.

http://www.tabletcorner.com/nokia770/guides/razr.html

when i did set it up, i did not connect to the internet, intentionally. the phone did register as 'GPRS Connnected' on the screen, though. because i have flashed the device a few times, i have had the opportunity to do this a few times, and each time it has worked.

No luck for me. Oh well. I quit. Maybe the fact that I have an 8525 and/or upgraded to the new AT&T software has affected the connectivity. But hey, I can connect at home...where I already am connected to my laptop

jclarkv
2007-06-08, 01:10
I believe Cingular does monitor total monthly usage (even they though they may not report in on your bill). If you use too much, they get suspicious.

noyz
2007-06-08, 13:44
Wow, thanks dude. I was having similar problems with my SLVR L7, changing the address and all solved it and everything. I have one of the cheaper media net bundles and now I can actually put it to some use when i'm on the road and there aren't any hotels around, lol. Thanks again.

Damn, I love my n800!

Resurrectionist
2007-10-17, 01:44
Thanks Milhouse!

Bug 1217 indeed!

good lookin' out