PDA

View Full Version : Maemo 6 upgradeable from maemo 5 n900 mobile?

ashy
2010-09-21, 17:07
Hi friends, am new to the forum. So forgive me if this question is already been answered.

The current n900 mobiles running in maemo 5, can it be upgraded to maemo 6 once its released (which is been said to be releasing by this yr end) ?? I feel, it should be possible but need some confirmation.

Am planning to buy n900, just in a dilemma whether go ahead now itself or wait till maemo 6 is released.

wmarone
2010-09-21, 17:09
There is no planned or announced upgrade from Maemo 5 to any other OS (MeeGo, Harmattan, Android) for the N900.

There will likely be a PR1.3 update for Maemo 5, and community builds of MeeGo, Harmattan, Android will eventually be available.

ashy
2010-09-21, 17:14
There is no planned or announced upgrade from Maemo 5 to any other OS (MeeGo, Harmattan, Android) for the N900.

There will likely be a PR1.3 update for Maemo 5, and community builds of MeeGo, Harmattan, Android will eventually be available.

Thanks for the reply wmarone..

excuse me if its a silly questions, when u said "There is no planned or announced upgrade from Maemo 5 to any other OS (MeeGo, Harmattan, Android) for the N900." did u mean Maemo 6 also ?? because my question was specifically upgrading from maemo 5 to maemo 6.

ashy
2010-09-21, 17:19

So would you suggest me to go ahead and buy n900 now rather than wait till the release on maemo 6 on n900 ??

stefan-78
2010-09-21, 17:21

excuse me if its a silly questions, when u said "There is no planned or announced upgrade from Maemo 5 to any other OS (MeeGo, Harmattan, Android) for the N900." did u mean Maemo 6 also ?? because my question was specifically upgrading from maemo 5 to maemo 6.

there will not be any maemo6 they have started working on a new os partily based on maemo named meego

NvyUs
2010-09-21, 17:22

Maemo 6 was renamed Meego-harmattan.
There is a team of people working alongside nokia for a N900 version of MeeGo, it will not be called an official upgrade but paid pro's from the maemo community and from nokia are doing the work

geohsia
2010-09-21, 17:38
So would you suggest me to go ahead and buy n900 now rather than wait till the release on maemo 6 on n900 ??

If you're happy with Maemo 5 functionality I think you should buy the N900. It's a nice phone. Don't count on Maemo 6 though. You will hear lots of people talk about stuff that's being worked on. It's great but whether or not the final product of these efforts will be usable by normal people rather than developers is the big question.

There will be a few non-supported releases for the N900, a hacker's smörgåsbord if you will, but if you are an end-user that wants Flash, OVI Maps, Skype and all the other nice things that come with a finished platform, don't expect anything other than stock Maemo 5. If you get your hopes up then you will likely be disappointed.

RenaldoTT
2010-09-22, 04:22
It's a mobile computer not a phone. Directed to post above me

stlpaul
2010-09-22, 04:43
Hi friends, am new to the forum. So forgive me if this question is already been answered.

The current n900 mobiles running in maemo 5, can it be upgraded to maemo 6 once its released (which is been said to be releasing by this yr end) ?? I feel, it should be possible but need some confirmation.

Am planning to buy n900, just in a dilemma whether go ahead now itself or wait till maemo 6 is released.

No such thing as Maemo 6, it was combined with Moblin to become MeeGo. But Nokia has officially said there will officially be no official MeeGo on N900. However... there is unofficial, unsupported, but made by official workers, wink wink, MeeGo for N900, and N900 is the offical dev platform for MeeGo handset edition. It is already available now, new versions published every week. I haven't tried it so I don't know if it's to the point where you'd want to use it as your full time phone operating system yet.

Nobody knows how long that MeeGo-on-N900 updates will last (I imagine once the N900's replacement comes out that won't be a good thing for N900 owners), and of course nothing at all is guaranteed.

So, I agree wholly with geohsia. If you like N900 exactly as-is, and would be happy if there was never an update of any kind, then get it. If you want it to continue getting major new features and upgrades for a couple years, forget it, it's not going to happen. That is just my opinion.

ossipena
2010-09-22, 04:54

there will be no release on maemo 6 on n900. n900 will run out of stock from shops probably this year and that's it. after that you can buy used ones but there will be no meego (=maemo6 with meego compatibility layer) officially. so no-one knows how well it will work and how long. (of course I am wishing the best with it)

ashy
2010-09-24, 12:29
Thanks all for your replies...:)

What about n9 ?? does anybody have any idea about its features and release ? Is it better to wait for the n9 or go for n900 now ? little confused :mad:

johnel
2010-09-24, 12:36
Hi Ashy.

A couple of things:
1 - Nokia do not communicate with customers. Most stuff you do hear will be rumours (some well-founded). It makes life that little more unpredictable!

2 - What is it you want from your device? N900 has very basic phone functionality but is extremely flexible in how it is used - sometimes you may need to get your hands dirty but it is fun and you will learn stuff.

ashy
2010-09-24, 12:47
Hi Ashy.

A couple of things:
1 - Nokia do not communicate with customers. Most stuff you do hear will be rumours (some well-founded). It makes life that little more unpredictable!

2 - What is it you want from your device? N900 has very basic phone functionality but is extremely flexible in how it is used - sometimes you may need to get your hands dirty but it is fun and you will learn stuff.

very basic phone functionality ?:confused::p

shockgiga
2010-09-24, 12:54
yes very basic, as it only offers well the basic functions out from the box.
the extra functionalities / apps will be up to you afterwards with the help of a wide range of hacks, modification tutorials, apps and even installation of another OS. you just need to do some researching.

why don't you buy n900 for now since the n9 won't come until next year anyway. i think...

mmlado
2010-09-24, 13:10

By default N900 can make calls and USSD codes (ex: *311#). No grouping of contacts, no custom ring tones/contacts.
You have SMS, but no MMS.
And not 3G videocalls.

Some of them can be solved, like putting fMMS app to have MMS-es. Grouping/ringtones have several solutions.
As I know 3G videocalls are not solved yet, but you can use Skype/Gmail videocalls.

For all of these you need some digging, and the community will help, but if you want things just to work and need these things I would say it's not for you.

As for waiting for N9... you can always wait for the next big phone that will be better then the current one.
If you can wait a couple of months for the N9, then wait.
It will probably have many improvements over N900, like better ovi maps... and maybe N900 will have the same maps at one time... but will not know this until the app is there, Nokia is very bad at communication with the community.

Then again, as I heard N900 is/will be the most open phone on the market. Read it somewhere, but too lazy to search for it that N9 will have DRM in it.

So... come back in a few months and we can tell you more. :)

cferrism
2010-09-24, 13:24
I call shananigans. maybe its me but i find it hard to believe someone could have wandered into the maemo.org froum, not done any searches (or even looked at 3/4 of the active topics which are always filled with same question) someone that knew the n9 was on its way and posted in the meego/harmattan section but still didnt have a clue that maemo 6 was now meego and is willing to base there phone purchase on it. This looks like poking the bears with a stick to me.

In case im wrong my opinion is - buy the n900 if your in anyway techie....its awesome!

vivmak
2010-09-24, 13:45

people are right if you are looking for fancy PHONE THEN N900 IS NOT for you. It is tabelet a computer with just phone facility, rest you will depend on the kind people of community or develope ur own apps

cferrism
2010-09-24, 14:18
Judging by your other thread:

"Hi folks, whats your say on the USB port for n900 ?

I heard it falls off in 9/10 mobiles, and it doesnt connect well at times.

Is this true ? Would this make you regret for purchasing the phone ?"

I stand by my suspicion :P

shockgiga
2010-09-24, 15:31
come to think of it. really is suspiciously negative. talking about regretting to have bought an n900. wtf? lol

Judging by your other thread:

"Hi folks, whats your say on the USB port for n900 ?

I heard it falls off in 9/10 mobiles, and it doesnt connect well at times.

Is this true ? Would this make you regret for purchasing the phone ?"

I stand by my suspicion :P

dannycamps
2010-09-24, 16:19
I think if this topic and its many replies serves one thing - it's to show just how little everyone actually knows about the future of the N900 / Maemo / MeeGo.

These are the facts as I understand them:

1. There will not be a Maemo 6. It has merged into MeeGo.

2. There is no Harmatton. That was the code name for Maemo 6 (see point #1 above). There is no MeeGo/Harmatton for the same reason.

3. There are two builds of MeeGo. An Intel-based build and an ARM-based build. They are the same with regards to functionality. The only difference is the hardware layer (similar to Intel and ARM builds of desktop operation systems).

4. The N900 is being used as a reference device for MeeGo. That means that is it not the same as NitDroid / Mer / or whatever. It means that the people who are building MeeGo are using the N900 to ensure proper functionality. All drivers, programs, etc... for MeeGo 1.1 will function on the N900.

5. Not officially supported by Nokia does NOT mean it will not work. It means at the very least, it will not be available from Nokia's website for download and that it may also be missing the 'hands' animation and Nokia logo. There may also be some Nokia-specific items like themes that will not be included.

The same thing applies to Android. There are a ton of tablets and phones on the market that run Android but they run the stock unofficial build.

Finally - and the most important - the N900 and Maemo 5 function perfectly for what I need. With all due respect to the developers hard at work for NITdroid (and they are extraordinary) and even MeeGo, I could care less if they ever ran on my phone. I knew what the N900 was before I purchased it. Living in the U.S., I also know the (lack of) support Nokia phones receive so I never expected another OS.

-DJ

wmarone
2010-09-24, 16:27
2. There is no Harmatton. That was the code name for Maemo 6 (see point #1 above). There is no MeeGo/Harmatton for the same reason.
There is. MeeGo/Harmattan is a Maemo-based, MeeGo compatible OS that will be on the follow-up device to the N900.

3. There are two builds of MeeGo. An Intel-based build and an ARM-based build. They are the same with regards to functionality. The only difference is the hardware layer (similar to Intel and ARM builds of desktop operation systems).
There are those two, but by no means are you limited to ARM or Intel. You'll have to figure out how to build it yourself, but you could port it elsewhere.

mmlado
2010-09-24, 17:23

Depends how you define things. It will still be Maemo 6 only rebranded as MeeGo/Harmattan. They continued the development as it was and only given it a different name.
There are differences, like deb/rpm, so it's only MeeGo compatible or instance.

There will be many different MeeGos. Read more here: http://achipa.blogspot.com/2010/03/danger-of-weak-branding-or-which-meego.html
Also there are different UXs (user experiences, the UI and more)

4. The N900 is being used as a reference device for MeeGo. That means that is it not the same as NitDroid / Mer / or whatever. It means that the people who are building MeeGo are using the N900 to ensure proper functionality. All drivers, programs, etc... for MeeGo 1.1 will function on the N900.

It will function. Will it be usable for everyday users? MeeGo build for N900 will contain drivers, but I'm not certain about other proprietary software: flash, skype... and probably other things that manufacturers will put on their MeeGo version.

5. Not officially supported by Nokia does NOT mean it will not work. It means at the very least, it will not be available from Nokia's website for download and that it may also be missing the 'hands' animation and Nokia logo. There may also be some Nokia-specific items like themes that will not be included.

And won't be many more things. Ovi maps, Ovi store and probably anything in it that is proprietary like games that you buy.

There is rumored that the community will create a hacker-edition of MeeGo-Harmattan... only time will tell what will be of it.
Also some will try to bring flash, skype and other applications from MeeGo-Hatmattan to plain MeeGo. We'll se.

The point is, there won't be an update through air, like many updated to Maemo 1.1 and 1.2. You'll need to reflash and here comes the question how many N900 owners know and do re-flash their devices.
Another question will be if Nokia will uphold the guaranty on the devices, because it's not officially supported.
Hope this clears some of the confusion.

mrsalue
2010-09-30, 05:38
am gona be simple talking this in a very very simple way
Meego Apps will work on N900 Nokia did say on the 1.2 am rite ?;p
Meego 1.1 will beon n900 by a month from now i think
so thats it lol and if it's out then means it will get upgraded! like any other OS
look a this programmer made nitdroid from scratch for the n900 and still doing it
so i think if the hardest part making meego on n900 willl be done then the program tho who ever want to do it
can do it easier ?;p

AlMehdi
2010-09-30, 06:17
I think if this topic and its many replies serves one thing - it's to show just how little everyone actually knows about the future of the N900 / Maemo / MeeGo.

These are the facts as I understand them:

The same thing applies to Android. There are a ton of tablets and phones on the market that run Android but they run the stock unofficial build.

Finally - and the most important - the N900 and Maemo 5 function perfectly for what I need. With all due respect to the developers hard at work for NITdroid (and they are extraordinary) and even MeeGo, I could care less if they ever ran on my phone. I knew what the N900 was before I purchased it. Living in the U.S., I also know the (lack of) support Nokia phones receive so I never expected another OS.

-DJ

You are wrong about your 1,2 and 3. If Nokia didn't change direction again the plan was to "release" harmattan but not as Maemo 6. It will not be Meego either.. in the matter of packaging. Harmattan will still build on debian (apt) and Meego will build on RPM. So Harmattan will probably come and it will be more finished than fremantle (maemo5). It could come as PR1.4 too.. some of the things that was though of in Harmattan will come in PR1.3.

Meego will not come as an OTA but will be installable through flashing. There where talks about a ability to dual boot too.

But there are a lot of rumours too so very hard to have any facts. No one knows exactly what will happen. The only thing we know is that they are working on it.