PDA

View Full Version : Status of Skype?

Nik1
2007-05-12, 21:50
Any word Skype and when the beta will be released? It's really a shame they didnt implement skype instead of the obsolete google talk .... I got my money on June 26 :)

TA-t3
2007-05-14, 09:15
1) We will hear nothing until it's actually ready.
2) What makes google talk 'obsolete'? I think you're looking for a different word..

Nik1
2007-05-14, 20:36
1) We will hear nothing until it's actually ready.
2) What makes google talk 'obsolete'? I think you're looking for a different word..

Bah! Maybe I could of used another word, but to tell you the truth I do not know anyone that uses it. The first time I heard of it was when I bought my n800. The only thing I find good about it is that its built into the UI.

Texrat
2007-05-14, 20:46
I've successfully used Googletalk (in conjunction with Gtalk2voip), although lag was an issue.

benny1967
2007-05-14, 21:05
GTalk works as fine as Skype. The only difference is that the protocol is open.

Talking about "obsolete" - I'm afraid it's Skype we'll have to say good-bye to in a few years... in my job I see all these VoIP-Solutions emerging, all with a high market potential. Of course, they all are built upon SIP rather than Skype.

So forget Skype for the N800; what we need is SIP-integration in the IM-user interface...

Toontje
2007-05-15, 07:57
what we need is SIP-integration in the IM-user interface...

and the masses starting to switch from Skype to SIP. And that i don't see happening (yet). ICQ was and is "better" than MSN Messenger, but since nobody is using it anymore... Linux/Unix/OSX was and is "better" than Windows, but since nobody is using it (no offense meant for the 6% installed base of all three OS's together), driving a LPG car propelled car is "better", but since nobody is using it, should i go on?

Bring on this Skype client!

Ton.

benny1967
2007-05-15, 09:32
and the masses starting to switch from Skype to SIP. And that i don't see happening (yet). ICQ was and is "better" than MSN Messenger, but since nobody is using it anymore... Linux/Unix/OSX was and is "better" than Windows, but since nobody is using it (no offense meant for the 6% installed base of all three OS's together), driving a LPG car propelled car is "better", but since nobody is using it, should i go on?

Bring on this Skype client!

Ton.

This was a misunderstanding. I didn't say SIP was better than Skype (it might be morally and ethically superior, but I doubt its in any way technically better than Skype).

I said that from what I see happening here at work, it seems the masses *will* be switching to SIP-based applications because a lot of companies invest heavily in SIP-based VoIP-solutions. Skype may remein popular for some years to come but is probably not future-proof.

Toontje
2007-05-15, 10:06
Skype may remein popular for some years to come but is probably not future-proof.

since "future" in IT only lasts a couple of years at most, that's perfectly valid. I hope (for the same moral and ethical reasons) that Skype will never become the Microsoft of VoIP and we will continue to have a choice which VoIP software and which VoIP provider we want to work with. But until then... :o

submin
2007-08-15, 13:42
Skype does not work the same way on the Nokia N800 as under WinXP.

When I ring a contact and they send a chat message I can see the message but I can not switch to the chat window and enter text in reply. I have to disconnect the call make a response and then close chat to get back to making a call again.

The contact screen hides the chat button when a call is made. If you are in chat and get rung back (same person calling as you are chatting to) you can't get to the accept call window.

As chat and voice work from the sender okay I see no reason why the N800 can't work like a PC.

Gerald

ph1asco
2007-08-15, 14:31
I just really wish they would enable tablet-to-pc video calls!! I don't know anyone else with an n800 so the camera on this thing is about as useful to me as a solar powered flashlight during a cloudy day lol

omegaone37
2007-08-15, 16:02
So forget Skype for the N800; what we need is SIP-integration in the IM-user interface...

Speaking of SIP.... just received a SIP call on my N800... the caller called my Gizmo Project "Call Wave" number (Area 775)... was a TeleMarketer from "The Home Depot" out of Fort Worthless TX...

I wonder if there is a National Do Not Call List of N800's...

Regards...

Omega :rolleyes:

re2st
2007-08-15, 20:57
Home Depot uses Gizmo Project? Wow..

Ald
2007-08-15, 21:22
"Area 775" is Gizmoproject's free incoming phone number. The actual number is located somewhere in the Middle of Nowhere, Nevada. You can pay for a local number, but if all you want is an incoming number, they'll give you that one for free.

heavyt
2007-08-15, 22:12
Did you know you can use GrandCentral as a local number for a Gizmoproject phone number?

Ald
2007-08-15, 22:25
I seem to recall reading an article to that effect, yes, saying it would be one way to get a free local number out of Gizmo.

rickh
2007-08-16, 01:39
"Area 775" is Gizmoproject's free incoming phone number. The actual number is located somewhere in the Middle of Nowhere, Nevada. You can pay for a local number, but if all you want is an incoming number, they'll give you that one for free.
If you include the capital of Nevada "the Middle of Nowhere" then yes, I suppose it is the middle of nowhere, but area code 775 actually comprises a rather large portion of the state, including the county which includes Reno.

Sorry, it bugs me that anything outside of Clark county is considered "the Middle of Nowhere". There's a lot more to the state.

R.
==

iball
2007-08-16, 02:00
So it's possible to call Reno 911 with that number? ;)

omegaone37
2007-08-16, 02:10
Speaking of SIP.... just received a SIP call on my N800... the caller called my Gizmo Project "Call Wave" number (Area 775)... was a TeleMarketer from "The Home Depot" out of Fort Worthless TX...

I wonder if there is a National Do Not Call List of N800's...

Regards...

Omega :rolleyes:

The whole point of my posting this was (past tense), the irony that even non phone devices are not immune to to telemarketers and their bull **** spam.

Didn't occur to me that you all would geek out over a free sip number from GizmoProject... go figure :p

Regards...

Omega

Ald
2007-08-16, 02:13
My apologies, rickh. You are indeed correct. I really should learn more geography of my neighbors: I live next door in California.

I suppose that's very nice for all those people who live in the capital and its environs, as it's a free dialin number without having to pay for a local number.

Toontje
2007-08-16, 07:02

Speaking of hijacking a thread... :eek:

Texrat
2007-08-16, 12:14
Eh, omega's non sequiter was peripherally on target, and I got a chuckle out it. But then, I'm irony-motivated... :D