PDA

View Full Version : Canola and Mamemo Mapper Integration?

rhouge
2007-05-13, 18:57
OK, So I've had my n800 for about 2 months now and LOVE it. I bought this device while looking at options for a carputer. I was looking to build a carPC that could do wifi, multimedia, and navigation. When I learned about Canola and Maemo Mapper, I was convinced that the n800 could satisfy all my needs for a carPC, with the added benefit of being able to use it outside of my car as well.

That being said, I did some beta tests before looking at mounting options. I found that it was a bit cumbersome (and dangerous) to switch between Canola and Maemo Mapper whenever I needed a little navigational assistence from those helpful GPS satty's hovering high above the earth. I think a great enhancement to these apps would be to have a little GPS icon right there in Canola so that we could switch to GPS view without having to close down Canola (I haven't found a way to minimize within the program) and loose the tunes. To take this one step further, when mapper was running "behind" Canola and a waypoint was approaching, mapper could take over, temporarily mute the music and display the ampping application for a few seconds, then Canola could resume business as usual.

Any thoughts? Should I log this in an enhancement request in the Garage?

PS, both of these apps are GREAT and I truly appreciate all the work that's been done so far, I just thought I would throw my $0.02 in as a user.

jpj
2007-05-13, 19:45
Use the Home hardware button (little house, just above the left speaker) to bring up the task switcher. Then you can toggle easily between Canola and Maemo Mapper, even when both are running in full screen mode.

rhouge
2007-05-13, 19:51
Thank jpj, I'm not used to using the hardware buttons, didn't even think of that. I'll give her a whirl next time I'm out.

jpj
2007-05-13, 20:14
You're welcome. While you're trying it out, don't forget the directionals and select button. Also try the Menu and Escape keys in mapper. The more options you know about, the more flexibility you have.