View Full Version : Meego running on TI OMAP4

3beers
2010-09-28, 23:30
hi everyone: here is meego running on TI OMAP4 CPU:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S20k1mvL8d0

enjoy:)

maxximuscool
2010-09-29, 00:02
good but MeeGo still not yet optimised! You see the loading time is insanely slow and still irresponsive at some applications. It needs to be more fluent than this to compete in the world of smart phone OS

3beers
2010-09-29, 00:08
good but MeeGo still not yet optimised! You see the loading time is insanely slow and still irresponsive at some applications. It needs to be more fluent than this to compete in the world of smart phone OS

I read on a forum but can't find the thread right now that the opening applications is slow because they are running some software in the background which is a sort of benchmark and errors saver.
about the response I think they should improve that.

however the few applications that were showed run fast, with small exceptions. so I think the right way. :)

maxximuscool
2010-09-29, 00:11
I read on a forum but can't find the thread right now that the opening applications is slow because they are running some software in the background which is a sort of benchmark and errors saver.
about the response I think they should improve that.

however the few applications that were showed run fast, with small exceptions. so I think the right way. :)

Yes correct, but the People (CONTACTS) app runs like a snail and pressing SMS button took 10seconds for the application to launch. Maemo5 did better than this by far. MeeGo needs some love from the developer.

theflew
2010-09-29, 00:24
Yes correct, but the People (CONTACTS) app runs like a snail and pressing SMS button took 10seconds for the application to launch. Maemo5 did better than this by far. MeeGo needs some love from the developer.

What we don't know is how much ram this thing has, cache and processes that have be preloaded

Odd_gunnic
2010-09-29, 00:48
dont know much about software development but I dont think that is at the top of their priority list. Now if this video were to show up after MeeGo was officially released then I'd be setting my sights to other platforms.

Diph
2010-09-29, 05:23
Do you mean that Maemo was snappier when it was in the same development phase or what?

vkv.raju
2010-09-29, 05:35
All that matters now is that work has already begun on OMAP 4 boards which is a good sign. (N9, I am looking at you.)

I would not expect the MeeGo for handset (either from the meego.com or from Nokia) to give users any pleasant experience until their 1.2 release.

Btw, do anyone here have any idea about MeeGo running on those Tegra2 chips ? MeeGo-for-tablet/netbook on the very-soon-to-be-released Notion Ink Adam tablet would be great!

cjp
2010-09-29, 05:46
Do you mean that Maemo was snappier when it was in the same development phase or what?

Fairness in comparisons FTW. Let's not forget that MeeGo isn't ready yet...

tissot
2010-09-29, 13:08
All that matters now is that work has already begun on OMAP 4 boards which is a good sign. (N9, I am looking at you.)

A bit late don't you think?
They where testing it on MeeGo 1.1 anyways, not MeeGo-Harmattan.

shady
2010-09-29, 13:50
nope, just in time! nokia knows it, we know it ... i just hope that we can see something materialize. remember TI is a massive sponsor, they would want to showcase their latest and greatest ESP since the A15 has been pushed as the new gold standard by 2013. ARM and TI's roadmaps have A9/OMAP4 chips coming out this year in devices. so its a waiting game to see if nokia hooks us up, if not ill wait for the 1.1*omap4 iteration.

quipper8
2010-09-29, 13:53
cant wait for this to get posted on engadget so they can opine about how ugly the n9 hardware is...&_& :rolleyes:

gerbick
2010-09-29, 13:54
I'm going to have to save my enthusiasm for when it's optimized.

wmarone
2010-09-29, 14:48
Btw, do anyone here have any idea about MeeGo running on those Tegra2 chips ? MeeGo-for-tablet/netbook on the very-soon-to-be-released Notion Ink Adam tablet would be great!
Basically, it's a no-go unless someone builds an X driver for the chip, and Nvidia already hates open source. I'd be shocked if anyone with access to the driver had actually ported it to work with X.

jnack95
2010-09-29, 15:33
Basically, it's a no-go unless someone builds an X driver for the chip, and Nvidia already hates open source. I'd be shocked if anyone with access to the driver had actually ported it to work with X.

Even so they have provided quality binary drivers for X for the past 10 or so years. No major graphics houses provides open source 3D drivers as far as I know (are Intels)? IMO Nvidia has been very supportive of Linux.

wmarone
2010-09-29, 16:00
Intel's non GMA5xx/6xx chips are all open source. The question is if they'll play along in the same manner that TI does.

Edit:

I just found out we got a Blaze platform in here at my office. Sadly, it's only here for two weeks and already queued up for stuff the entire time, so I won't have a chance to try and get MeeGo handset up and running on it.

The demo unit is cool though. I'd love it if a MeeGo device came out with support for multiple displays.