PDA

View Full Version : Speed up the kinetic scrolling?

mattbutsko
2010-10-01, 22:31
A few phones ago I owned a Nokia 5530 and a 5230, both of which had the terrible S60v5, it's funny looking back and thinking "I'll never own an N900, too expensive!" So I worked with what I could, and found a lightning fast kinetic scrolling mod which worked very well, so well, that using my N900, which I love, makes me miss the mod.

The N900's kinetic scrolling is kinda slow, not very kinetic (try using fMMS and sending a picture, it takes so long to scroll through all your pictures to get to the very bottom!).

Is there any .ini file we could modify, or a patch to install via apt-get to increase the sensitivity or strength of kinetic scrolling? I've been cd-ing and sudo nano-ing through so many folders, specifically around the hildon desktop folders, looking for something to edit, but no success yet.

somedude
2010-10-01, 22:34
A few phones ago I owned a Nokia 5530 and a 5230, both of which had the terrible S60v5, it's funny looking back and thinking "I'll never own an N900, too expensive!" So I worked with what I could, and found a lightning fast kinetic scrolling mod which worked very well, so well, that using my N900, which I love, makes me miss the mod.

The N900's kinetic scrolling is kinda slow, not very kinetic (try using fMMS and sending a picture, it takes so long to scroll through all your pictures to get to the very bottom!).

Is there any .ini file we could modify, or a patch to install via apt-get to increase the sensitivity or strength of kinetic scrolling?

use this thing i heard its very helpful
http://i53.tinypic.com/2zsr3if.jpg

mattbutsko
2010-10-02, 01:03
Yeah and this is punctuation, it can also be very useful.

.,!?

Dumb question, maybe, oversight, okay fine, unnecessary attitude doesn't help the forum too much.

somedude
2010-10-02, 01:37
thats why the last edited part used the punctuation " . " my writing was not done until I edited what I wrote.

Matan
2010-10-02, 10:59
use this thing i heard its very helpful
http://i53.tinypic.com/2zsr3if.jpg

Actually, search will not help at all, since this subject was not discussed much.

You might be thinking of the "[Announce] Faster kinetic scrolling in app menu (PR1.2)" thread, but that only changes scrolling speed in one place, so it is not really an answer to the posted question.

The answer is: Most kinetic scrolling widgets you see probably use hildon library for kinetic scrolling. This library is free software, so you could change global scrolling parameters by changing this library.

mattbutsko
2010-10-03, 01:06
Actually, search will not help at all, since this subject was not discussed much.

You might be thinking of the "[Announce] Faster kinetic scrolling in app menu (PR1.2)" thread, but that only changes scrolling speed in one place, so it is not really an answer to the posted question.

The answer is: Most kinetic scrolling widgets you see probably use hildon library for kinetic scrolling. This library is free software, so you could change global scrolling parameters by changing this library.

Could you help me locate this library, I'll do some googling but tend to have problems finding things like these. I have linux experience (Ubuntu and Debian for 2 years) but not a lot of N900 experience. Also, I did use that search yesterday, and did apply that .deb for the [Announce] you mentioned, which is nice, but as you said, it only improves it in the menu.

It just bothers me that the N8 is a weaker phone than the N900 yet the KS is soooo much smoother, that's kinda a big deal since we have to use kinetic scrolling in most cases.

EDIT: I did find a reference to HildonPannableArea, the maemo reference manual says it's a "scrolling widget designed for touchscreens", but I cannot find a way to edit that on my phone. I also checked a Hildon slideshow showing some of the new features of Hildon and one of those features were "Configurable kinetic scrolling", so I know it's possible. That, and we're dealing with linux here, so anything can be changed, right?

elie-7
2010-10-03, 14:14
so people is this possible ?? can we have faster kinetic scrolling in contacts, conversations, or the app manager ?????????? if yes please how .

atilla
2010-10-03, 14:18
i would make my scrolling superdupermegafast!!!!!!

slender
2010-10-03, 14:28
Little hint!
You do realize that inline search functions everywhere :) Even with file select in fmms.

elie-7
2010-10-03, 14:29
that sounds bloody awesome, i fixed the kinetic scrolling in the menu app with the modified hildon desktop, but what about the other things.