PDA

View Full Version : MeeGo leader Jaakso LEAVES Nokia

jussi69
2010-10-23, 16:45
MeeGo leader at Nokia has left the company and joined HP WebOS!

This looks catastrophic. To me this tells me that MeeGo has no future. This guy was an evangelist, but suddenly he just left us all and jumped into another bandwagon! Shows me how much he appreciated us!

Reffyyyy
2010-10-23, 16:49
jussi69

I believe there are already threads covering this subject. Possibly use search in future?

HellFlyer
2010-10-23, 17:00
You're late a week or so :D Its been discussed dozens of times and NO its not a tragedy its a salvation ;)

ysss
2010-10-23, 17:02
Jaaksi was when he's very fair, and he's turned darker now to become Jaakso?

longcat
2010-10-23, 17:02
triple facepalm (chuck norris facepalm)

jussi69
2010-10-23, 17:07
Jaaksi was when he's very fair, and he's turned darker now to become Jaakso?

Well, let's face it. He wasn't very committed to MeeGo in the first place, was he? He rather just chased his own goals - bigger paycheck I suppose.

bingbings
2010-10-23, 17:12
Strange world where everyone search for a better paycheck, but.....whitout Jaaksi or whatever you want to call him there was no Maemo with I don't know how many steps.....

AMLJ
2010-10-23, 17:17
Well, let's face it. He wasn't very committed to MeeGo in the first place, was he? He rather just chased his own goals - bigger paycheck I suppose.

That's common sense... That's how life works

What? You think Jaaksi's in love with you? No... He's not! Nobody cares about the users! They just want to fill their pockets.. That's what we all do, isn't it?

jussi69
2010-10-23, 17:17
Strange world where everyone search for a better paycheck, but.....whitout Jaaksi or whatever you want to call him there was no Maemo with I don't know how many steps.....

No. You are wrong. Without Linus Torvalds (who started the linux-project) and GNU-tools and Gnome-project there wouldn't be Maemo. Jaaksi was not important in any way. To my knowledge he has not contributed anything to open source world.

Maemo is just a linux distribution that has been named Maemo.

AMLJ
2010-10-23, 17:19
No. You are wrong. Without Linus Torvalds (who started the linux-project) and GNU-tools and Gnome-project there wouldn't be Maemo. Jaaksi was not important in any way. To my knowledge he has not contributed anything to open source world.

I kinda agree with jussie on this... Maemo is a Debian-based distro, which has been named Maemo... But I don't know if he has contributed anything or not..

NvyUs
2010-10-23, 17:21
this news is so old i've just blown the cob webs from my keyboard before responding in it

tissot
2010-10-23, 17:23
I'm not too sure if him leaving the position as head of MeeGo was a bad thing and getting Skillman from HP/Palm in process to lead design of Nokia's MeeGo..... actually sounded like a good deal to me.

!!Nokia N900!!
2010-10-23, 18:01
First was the CEO. Now the MeeGo Leader...LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
What the Hell is going on!@#@

daperl
2010-10-23, 19:13

Proof that you don't know what you're talking about.

ericsson
2010-10-23, 19:19

Still, it's a fact. Maemo is indeed a Linux distro called Maemo, you can't dispute that simple fact.

gerbick
2010-10-23, 19:21
Still, it's a fact. Maemo is indeed a Linux distro called Maemo, you can't dispute that simple fact.

pfft. Maemo is a life choice man. Not just a distro... a friggin' life choice.

AMLJ
2010-10-23, 19:27

I don't like the way the OP started this thread... And I don't agree with many things he said... But this one is the truth, and is a fact.

Maemo is a GNU/Linux distribution, which is based on Debian GNU/Linux.

But if you don't like it, you can call it a Windows version, or iOS or whatever you like. That won't change what Maemo is...

ericsson
2010-10-23, 19:29
pfft. Maemo is a life choice man. Not just a distro... a friggin' life choice.

:D You're right I guess, but then we are hardly discussing facts. Facts of life maybe, but ...

maguitodelrock
2010-10-23, 20:05

Man, you are trolling all posts... plz can you tell why are u here??

daperl
2010-10-23, 20:08
The OP was trying to imply that Maemo was some existing distro that was just basically renamed.

Again, he/she/it doesn't know what the fvck they're talking about.

Don't encourage failure.

Rauha
2010-10-23, 20:17
Shows me how much he appreciated us!

Or maybe how much Nokia appreciated him? Or do you have any insight into his personal reason for leaving?

lma
2010-10-24, 09:40
Anyone who thinks Ari Jaaksi didn't care or wasn't passionate enough about Maemo should go read his blog (http://jaaksi.blogspot.com/) from the beginning.

We'll probably never know the exact circumstances of his leaving. Maybe he clashed with Mr Elop, maybe he was unhappy with Mr Kallasvuo's exit, maybe there were some changes in the MeeGo program that he couldn't live with. maybe he decided that Qt phones are too far removed from his original vision of GNOME pocket computers, maybe a combination of some of the above or none of them. (Or maybe he didn't like people misspelling his name ;-) )

Note however that people at that level tend to have quite long notice periods in their contracts suggesting that either Nokia didn't want him or he decided to leave many months ago and it was just made public now. Either way, it's Nokia's loss.

I'm very grateful to Mr Jaaksi for overseeing the making of 3 truly wonderful machines, wish him good luck at HP and look forward to seeing what he comes up with there.

Dave999
2010-10-24, 09:47
No he don't

danramos
2010-10-24, 09:54
I kinda agree with jussie on this... Maemo is a Debian-based distro, which has been named Maemo... But I don't know if he has contributed anything or not..

But what about all that closed-source that made Maemo soooo much better than Debian, right? Right?

The OP was trying to imply that Maemo was some existing distro that was just basically renamed.

Again, he/she/it doesn't know what the fvck they're talking about.

Don't encourage failure.

Just like Fedora and SuSE are just existing distros that was just basically renamed? Ahem. No. :) Maemo is in fact a distro.. it's based on Debian with a bunch of closed-source crap dumped on top of it. Thank God Maemo is dead. Long live MeeGo!

mikecomputing
2010-10-24, 10:08
.... it's based on Debian with a bunch of closed-source crap dumped on top of it. Thank God Maemo is dead. Long live MeeGo!

Oh c'mon, yes meego core will be open source, but we will NEVER see an fully open sourced product based on true 100% open source that is fully functional product.

I have never seen a fully functional Linux PC without some drivers that are closed.

I Have never seen a fully functional smartphone were the drivers is 100% open.

IMHO I prefer a phone that may have some closed drivers/apps than a phone that is 100% open sourced and halfbaked. Cause if Meego hardware is 100% open then it for sure it will fail. WeeTab is already and example of this. They release a halfbaked product and hopes opensource gurus will "fix the bugs" then people will comeback and complain about a crap product.

I mean all that whining here about flash 10.1 on N900. Is flash open? Accelerated open source SGL drivers etc... Do u think TI will open this fully I dont, Also in the case oif Nokia battery management...

Only OSS fanatics like Stallman may think is possible but this is not how the world looks like...

danramos
2010-10-24, 10:12
Oh c'mon, yes meego core will be open source, but we will NEVER see an fully open sourced product based on true 100% open source that is fully functional product.

I have never seen a fully functional Linux PC without some drivers that are closed.

I Have never seen a fully functional smartphone were the drivers is 100% open.

Only OSS fanatics like Stallman may think is possible but this is not how the world looks like...

Myesssss... but what about a large number of closed APPLICATIONS? Calendar? Media player? It was FAR worse in DiaBLOW, not much better (I think I'd read it was worse, actually?) in FreMENTAL.

Also... OH C'MON!! ;) heheh Love that reaction.

mikecomputing
2010-10-24, 10:22
Myesssss... but what about a large number of closed APPLICATIONS? Calendar? Media player? It was FAR worse in DiaBLOW, not much better (I think I'd read it was worse, actually?) in FreMENTAL.

Also... OH C'MON!! ;) heheh Love that reaction.

Yes There are stuff that I agree that should be opened sourced.

But I think it could be related to that some stuff is made by people who is "not so open minded" or ever by some external nonnokia consults?

danramos
2010-10-24, 10:30
Yes There are stuff that I agree that should be opened sourced.

But I think it could be related to that some stuff is made by people who is "not so open minded" or ever by some external nonnokia consults?

I'm not sure I understood your last sentence. Can you rephrase that?

!!Nokia N900!!
2010-10-24, 10:37
tomorrow we will wake-up and notice that : Nokia shut down.
loooooooooool

pycage
2010-10-24, 10:40
WeeTab is already and example of this. They release a halfbaked product and hopes opensource gurus will "fix the bugs" then people will comeback and complain about a crap product.

That's not quite true. It's called WeTab, not WeeTab, and it's not 100% open. Unlike Nokia, the WeTab developers are working on enhancing the OS.
Yes, it was halfbaked when it came to market, but so was the N900.
But after several firmware updates within weeks, the WeTab is in a really good state, and we have Multitouch gestures, a great onscreen keyboard, hardware-accelerated HD video playback, and already a beta preview of Android support.
In fact, I'm writing these lines on a WeTab 3G and I like it.

ericsson
2010-10-24, 10:40
Man, you are trolling all posts... plz can you tell why are u here??

NO!! I only answer to Chuck

danramos
2010-10-24, 12:26
tomorrow we will wake-up and notice that : Nokia shut down.
loooooooooool

Or that it at least froze up and someone has to go over and hold down the power button on the front doorbell for five seconds to shut down all operations.

dchky
2010-10-25, 04:51
Maemo is a GNU/Linux distribution, which is based on Debian GNU/Linux.

People still prefix everything with GNU? : ) I thought we got over that 10 years ago.

It's a linux based distro with a few closed bits.

kitwalker
2010-10-25, 06:19
People still prefix everything with GNU? : ) I thought we got over that 10 years ago.

It's a linux based distro with a few closed bits.

http://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html

Dave999
2010-12-22, 22:10
http://jaaksi.blogspot.com/

ari's blog. Always intressting to read...Its almost as an good bye letter...