PDA

View Full Version : Is a Qt app for Maemo binary compatible with MeeGo ?

pvbrowser
2010-10-27, 08:52
We have build a Qt based app for Maemo 5 and provide the according deb package for installation.

It works fine on my N900 with Maemo 5.
Will the same deb package be usable on MeeGo ?
Will we have to provide a different package for MeeGo ?

noobmonkey
2010-10-27, 08:55
Well my theory is Meego is using RPM not debs? (I'm no linuxy person though!) :)

But the code in theory should work fine i woulda thought, unless it is maemo specific.

pvbrowser
2010-10-27, 08:58
Our app uses Qt4 + sockets calls (TCP/IP).

pvbrowser
2010-10-27, 09:02
If Maemo and MeeGo use different package formats or may be different otherwise will there be a build service like openSUSE buildservice for Maemo + MeeGo ?

smurfy
2010-10-27, 09:04
Hi,

if you only use QT base packages and not the maemo5 qt package the app should be binary compatible.

but as noobmonkey already said. meego uses rpm not deb (at least the reference platform)

i heard somewhere that nokias brand of meego uses deb, but i don't know if this is fact or just rumors, neverless for meego reference you need to create a rpm package.

jcharpak
2010-10-27, 16:12
Hi,

if you only use QT base packages and not the maemo5 qt package the app should be binary compatible.

but as noobmonkey already said. meego uses rpm not deb (at least the reference platform)

i heard somewhere that nokias brand of meego uses deb, but i don't know if this is fact or just rumors, neverless for meego reference you need to create a rpm package.

You're confusing several things:

1) Meego on the N900. Uses rpm files. Uses code to generate it's look and feel completely separate from Maemo5. Not ready for primetime.

2) Harmattan formerly called Maemo6 now actually called Meego-Harmattan to everyone's confusion). Uses deb files, is a continuation of Maemo5 code, with bug fixes, new features, using the same code meego uses for it's look&feel (although the actual look and feel may be different from Meego). Will NOT run on the N900 but rather on some future device. Closed development but there is significant communication with the meego team.

3) Harmattan- community edition. Non-existant vaporware that will take bits from Harmattan (where possible) and meego (where necessary) to deliver an OS that is as close to Harmattan as possible yet still runnable on the N900. Will use deb files. Will use the same look and feel code as Meego and Harmattan.

None of these versions are likely to be binary compatible with each other. However Nokia is pushing for everyone to use the same look and feel code (officially called Meego Handset UX) based on qt. Ideally the only thing you'll need to do is repackage it twice to get your application into Harmattan extras and meego extras (if such a thing exists)

nephridium
2010-11-01, 05:04
It's unfortunate that Nokia is moving away from the maemo (hildon) UI. I found it to be very functional and intuitive, to the point that I even emulate some of its functionality on my (touch capable) Ubuntu netbook using compiz/cairo-dock, e.g. there is a permanent icon on the top left that calls "compiz shift" to show all current windows, just like on the N900.

Meego on the other hand feels cluttered and confusing (apparently an illness it inherited from Moblin). And no, those weird stylized humanoid figures on the backgrounds don't do it for me either. Hopefully they'll soon come up with a theme that looks "cool" or "smooth" instead of "weird" and "wtf?".

Sure, Meego is still in "beta" stage, but I was never as annoyed by the UI when testing maemo's beta images. Thus, after reading your description I have high hopes for Harmattan being much closer to maemo than Meego, and would probably buy the next Nokia device that comes with it (hopefully with a more up to date CPU, a 45nm Snapdragon would do nicely ;))..