PDA

View Full Version : MeeGo 1.1 for n900 seems to have been released

Khertan
2010-10-28, 07:17
Hi,

It s seeems that the image for n900 of MeeGo 1.1 has been released.

Not tested yet :)

http://repo.meego.com/MeeGo/releases/1.1/handset/images/meego-handset-armv7l-n900/

babyshamie
2010-10-28, 07:19
yeeeeh,gonna find out

aligatro
2010-10-28, 07:25
Sweet. Gonna try it as soon as it downloads and dds into flashcard.
[added] I have a feeling that new series of server crashes are coming. :)

Mengs
2010-10-28, 07:30
Wish I could test it out, but I'm at work... please do keep us updated =D

crown77
2010-10-28, 07:30
Nice could you do a small tutorial how you installed it @aligatro and maybe a describtion how stable it is and what features it have. *iam at work too well come to me my Servers and Databases *lol*

MaddogG
2010-10-28, 07:32
Wish I could test it out, but I'm at work... please do keep us updated =D

Me too...damned work! :p

!!Nokia N900!!
2010-10-28, 07:32
yeaa, after testing it, we need a tutorial with details in how to install it On N900.

smoothc
2010-10-28, 07:34
I called in sick today because of meego 1.1

aligatro
2010-10-28, 07:36
Nice could you do a small tutorial how you installed it @aligatro and maybe a describtion how stable it is and what features it have.

It's all on meego's wiki

http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/N900/Install/MMC

and then

http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/N900/Install/Dual_Boot

but this was for 1.0. Maybe it will use uboot now.

crown77
2010-10-28, 07:37
@aligatro somewhere i read that they use uboot images now for 1.1.. but iam not sure

dekin
2010-10-28, 07:37

lol that was over kill:D

champus
2010-10-28, 07:38
Copy the iso over to N900, mount with Daemon Tools, run setup.exe, copy Crack from Ai-k0n and don't forget: if you like it, buy it.

Ehm, can you see it too? Nokia -> aikoN -> iKon. That musste be a message! New KDE-based iPhone-killer with touchable icons coming from Nokia? Hmm... mysteriously!

No matter, we'll all die anyway so it's nothing we should concern about. What I concern about is a short install description, too. Thanks!

pious_momin
2010-10-28, 07:44
yes dude, we need a tutorial with details in how to install it On N900.

Schriek
2010-10-28, 07:45
yes dude, we need a tutorial with details in how to install it On N900.

Like Alligatro said...

aligatro
2010-10-28, 07:46
Let me boot it on mine first ok ? :P

Fedmahn Kassad
2010-10-28, 07:47
You work at Nokia support center?

SCNR. :D

Khertan
2010-10-28, 07:50
Download still in progress here :)

aligatro
2010-10-28, 07:52
Hmm doesn't seem to use uboot. Gonna try to use flasher.

chealyte
2010-10-28, 07:53
it seem so complicated for noob like me, i want to try .. !!

Dousan
2010-10-28, 07:58
From wiki.meego.com ;)

http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/N900/Install/U-Boot_from_scratch

I'm to noob to understand it, so if anyone can make this into a easy to do guide that would be great :D

Theres also a vid of @stskeeps booting meego/maemo :)

e: got the link from a post on NITdroid forum :)

aligatro
2010-10-28, 08:00
Ok it booted. :) but it's very laggy :S

pious_momin
2010-10-28, 08:03
Like Alligatro said...

thanx dude!!

Mengs
2010-10-28, 08:06

can it make phone calls? make a youtube video?

edit: wifi? 3g? is it usable?

aligatro
2010-10-28, 08:08
can it make phone calls? make a youtube video?

edit: wifi? 3g? is it usable?

There was no reception. And now I can't boot into it again -_-. Hangs on the "waiting for root device /dev/mmcblk0p1"

Stskeeps
2010-10-28, 08:09

Premature optimisation is evil - get things working first, then add all the things that make a nice user experience. We needed to have the stack working first and stable, then we can work on it properly for 1.2.

For 1.2 there's a lot of low hanging fruit:
* New SGX drivers (as seen in thp's video). We're investigating a crash when minimizing windows hence why it's not integrated
* Including 'booster' ability (like maemo-launcher) for all Handset applications as well as prestarting, helps app launch time and RAM usage
* eMMC deployment

etc..

ZogG
2010-10-28, 08:10
do someone mind videocast it?

Viny
2010-10-28, 08:10
Yeh please someone help make a easier guide for us.

Stskeeps
2010-10-28, 08:14
Also, do yourself a favour and wait for all the release material to be released, it will probably save you from a lot of pain and unmet expectations.

As well as this warning:

MeeGo is an open source project and if you choose to install the MeeGo image to your N900 device, you do it completely at your own risk. If you are not confident that you know what you are doing with it and why, please don't use it at all. Especially now, if you start playing with call software under development, you need to watch after your phone bill, as well.

Mengs
2010-10-28, 08:20
I know, sure noob question, but I'm having trouble finding answers to even through search. Obv any help and answer would be appreciated.

What stage is meego in right now? As in, is it user friendly, and able to make phone calls? browse the web etc... I'm not talking about smoothness, because as we all know; things will work out eventually =)

I saw a vid on youtube of a guy making a phone call with meego on his n900, real or fake?

And if not, at about what version can we expect user friendly usability to be reality?

Thanks!

msa
2010-10-28, 08:20
the tutorial seem to using an external card-reader.
i dont have have, can i do all that stuff in mass-storage mode with the microsd in the n900?

Stskeeps
2010-10-28, 08:22
I know, sure noob question, but I'm having trouble finding answers to even through search. Obv any help and answer would be appreciated.

What stage is meego in right now? As in, is it user friendly, and able to make phone calls? browse the web etc... I'm not talking about smoothness, because as we all know; things will work out eventually =)

I saw a vid on youtube of a guy making a phone call with meego on his n900, real or fake?

And if not, at about what version can we expect user friendly usability to be reality?

Thanks!

Real phone call. It comes out the speakers but the architecture doesn't support audio routing right now so that's a 1.2 feature.

There's a large number of things missing that you'd normally expect to see, but it shows there's a stable and promising foundation for our 1.2 work.

theonelaw
2010-10-28, 08:24
As well as this warning:

MeeGo is an open source project and if you choose to install the MeeGo image to your N900 device, you do it completely at your own risk. If you are not confident that you know what you are doing with it and why, please don't use it at all. Especially now, if you start playing with call software under development, you need to watch after your phone bill, as well.
:eek:
Maybe even better -
- just simply remove the sim card altogether until you know it is stable.

F2thaK
2010-10-28, 08:31
Wee all Go nuts for Meego™

raven
2010-10-28, 08:38
You'll be waiting for this nice page to be filled:
http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/N900/Releases/1.1

Stskeeps
2010-10-28, 08:47
You'll be waiting for this nice page to be filled:
http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/N900/Releases/1.1

No, meego.com is best for waiting for.

!!Nokia N900!!
2010-10-28, 09:11
in the below link:
http://thehandheldblog.com/2010/10/27/demo-the-n900-dual-booting-maemo-meego/

it says that: (........there will be a community based version which you will be able to install by following a brief tutorial. The pieces are almost in place, its only a matter of time )

So this mean, Version 1.1 still under process??

Also, for noobs: ( There is no easy to use noob guide to dual boot between Maemo and MeeGo on the N900 yet )

So when we ( Noobs ) ba able to duel boot & install MeeGo???!

Hope we get some details.
tnx

markoalmelo
2010-10-28, 11:34
When I follow the tutorial at http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/N900/Install/MMC i see the follow:

Windows

1. Download and install bzip2 to Windows http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/bzip2.htm
2. Uncompress raw image in command prompt "bunzip2.exe <compressed raw image>"
3. Download the Win32DiskImager.exe program: https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/+download (zip file)
4. Unzip the file and extract the contents to a known directory
5. Run W32DiskImager.exe
6. Select the MeeGo image file (note you must write *.* file name to see all files)
7. Select the drive letter which corresponds to the microSD memory card.
8. Click the "Write" button to byte-copy the image to the microSD memory card.

I dont understand step 2, what must I typ in command prompt?

edgedemon
2010-10-28, 11:37
substitute the "<compressed raw image>" bit with the filename of the file you downloaded..

markoalmelo
2010-10-28, 11:49
I dont understand it sorry,

I downloaded all the files from http://repo.meego.com/MeeGo/releases/1.1/handset/images/meego-handset-armv7l-n900/.

There is also a zip file in it, i extract it and now i have the following raw file: meego-handset-armv7l-n900-1.1-mmcblk0p.raw

What to do with it in CMD ?

crown77
2010-10-28, 11:55
@markoalmelo well if you have allready unpacked the *.raw you can skip step 2. i guess..

rash.m2k
2010-10-28, 11:59
Installing meego is a pretty simple process, dd the image into a micro sd card and connect your phone to your PC and then the flasher will load the meego kernel - i.e. the flasher application kicks off the boot process and not your phone.

try to flash the kernel to the N900 and then just add some lines to the bootmenu and you can dual boot, easy peasy.

Piotr
2010-10-28, 12:32
I tried a pre release of meego some days ago and I found it completely unusable. Slow like hell and had nothing that Maemo would not have.

One would need to be a crazy person to prefer MeeGo 1.1 over Maemo.

Ele-Mental
2010-10-28, 12:34
Installing meego is a pretty simple process, dd the image into a micro sd card and connect your phone to your PC and then the flasher will load the meego kernel - i.e. the flasher application kicks off the boot process and not your phone.

try to flash the kernel to the N900 and then just add some lines to the bootmenu and you can dual boot, easy peasy.

Ok im gonna try it. You make it sound so easy :-D Will let you know how it goes.

Fredook
2010-10-28, 12:43
can anybody upload a how to video plz ???

WereCatf
2010-10-28, 12:50
One would need to be a crazy person to prefer MeeGo 1.1 over Maemo.

MeeGo 1.1 is not meant for general consumption yet, it's still lacking things that 1.2 is supposed to bring. Just consider 1.1 a development release.

vkv.raju
2010-10-28, 12:56
When I follow the tutorial at http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/N900/Install/MMC i see the follow:

I dont understand step 2, what must I typ in command prompt?

The second step just asks you to uncompress the file mentioned in step1. You can use 7zip (http://7zip.org) for doing that graphically.

kylepsp
2010-10-28, 13:04
Any screen shots or anything?

Patroclo
2010-10-28, 13:09
I would like to install meego, but I will do only if I know it is legal. Nokia said that consumers are not allowed. Maybe they can ask thousands of dollars of refund. Don't know. I am afraid.
I think that if a consumer installs meego is making a damage to nokia because the equation is clear: want meego then buy n9.

NvyUs
2010-10-28, 13:10
why are people asking for a video, go watch the Release Candidate version video there will be no differences apart from few tweaks and the like

tushyd
2010-10-28, 13:14
I would like to install meego, but I will do only if I know it is legal. Nokia said that consumers are not allowed. Maybe they can ask thousands of dollars of refund. Don't know. I am afraid.
I think that if a consumer installs meego is making a damage to nokia because the equation is clear: want meego then buy n9.

Haha, thousands of dollars of refund. Not going to happen, friend. Worry not.

tomchiverton
2010-10-28, 13:27
From wiki.meego.com ;)

http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/N900/Install/U-Boot_from_scratch

I'm to noob to understand it, so if anyone can make this into a easy to do guide that would be great :D

Theres also a vid of @stskeeps booting meego/maemo :)

e: got the link from a post on NITdroid forum :)

Do not take this the wrong way, but if you can't follow those instructions, it's not ready for you.

Back away.

fahadj2003
2010-10-28, 13:56
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=826595#post826595
this can help u install
but believe me, its pointless

we have to wait for the first meego device and then a back port..
imagine a nitdroid all over again..

crown77
2010-10-28, 15:32
well iam a little upset about how they release there Meego 1.1 RC. The Meego.com Site is still not updated , the forum dont gives an offical answer. I read at many news sites and blogs that Meego 1.1 is aviable so this is a big Marketing Problem in my opinion. Also the Wiki isnt actual if you take a look here you see there is no information at all..

http://wiki.meego.com/Release_Engineering/Plans/1.1/1.1.0.0

So i doubt that this Release will be the big bang we are waiting for. But hopefully iam wrong.

noobmonkey
2010-10-28, 15:39
well iam a little upset about how they release there Meego 1.1 RC. The Meego.com Site is still not updated , the forum dont gives an offical answer. I read at many news sites and blogs that Meego 1.1 is aviable so this is a big Marketing Problem in my opinion. Also the Wiki isnt actual if you take a look here you see there is no information at all..

So i doubt that this Release will be the big bang we are waiting for. But hopefully iam wrong.

Crown thats because (And already mentioned by keeps) they they haven't actually released it yet and finished the documentation. People have just found the files :P

Well, thats amy read on it.

Also, it is still really a developers image, so it kinda merrits the people who already know what they are doing, to just get on with it :)

That is usually followed by floods of - OMG'z and Crapzzzz etc... because it's not 1.2 ;) hehe and also the usual "Please can someone give me a step by step guide" posts ;) - i'm quite happy to wait for the official documentation when they are ready and then maybe give it a go :)

go1dfish
2010-10-28, 15:42
Any flashplugin in this release? or other goodies in this release that might be interesting to try backporting?

zikmir
2010-10-28, 15:44

man, i was able to do all, but i couldent follow up the flasher part, can u please tell me what to do, or what to type in there ? i dont understand how to flash the kernal !

Dave999
2010-10-28, 15:50
way do all people want meego. It will take months if not years to get this to kick maemo.

potrait mode is one of the good things for now. other than that its nothing to see. go enjoy maemo and pr 1.3

nokiaqueen
2010-10-28, 15:54
I don't want meego...I just want portrait mode on my maemo. Personally i love the maemo os :)

hibikirein
2010-10-28, 16:02
what meego can do??

Stskeeps
2010-10-28, 16:05
And there we go:

http://meego.com/community/blogs/valhalla/2010/meego-1.1-release

bitflung
2010-10-28, 16:06
why are people asking for a video, go watch the Release Candidate version video there will be no differences apart from few tweaks and the like

what?

no no no. you own the device. and you have nokia's blessing to do anything you want to it. meego is open source and you have meego.com's blessing to download, hack, install, or fork it in any way you wish.

legality is not the concern. liability is. nokia says "for developers only" because they dont want to be liable for real or perceived damage to the n900 by either correctly or incorrectly installing meego on it. they could also say "you can format the drive and try to install windows xp on the device, but only if you're a developer and accept full responsibility".

see, it's just not their problem if it doesn't work. and further, they are saying that if you break your n900 by trying to install stuff they didn't give you specifically to install, then they can't honor any warranty.

thats it. period. no laws being broken, no hurt feelings, etc. it is actually in nokia's best interest if you go ahead and try meego, because maybe (just maybe) you'll notice a bug or ask why something works/fails the way it does and cause the developers to fix or change something that improves meego for everyone. and then that bug is fixed before nokia ever tries to ship a meego device.

gerdich
2010-10-28, 16:09
The producers of the iPhone have weak concurrents that don't know how to present their products.

The presentation of the release of pr1.3 was a castrophy.
The presentation of the release of meego is a catastophy.

Nokia and IBM have much to learn about public relations!!!
Apple will be happy!

There have to be clear instructions.
Instructions that show that the producers know the differences between pr1.3 and pr1.2 and the differences.
The instructions have to show that the release has already been installed once correctly on pr1.3,

The text "It will probably also work on pr1.3" is not suitable for such a presentation.
I haven't installed it yet even though I was waiting for it for a long time and I have bought my n900 for meego.

But what they are doing is not serious.

It's a shame

NvyUs
2010-10-28, 16:13
what?

no no no. you own the device. and you have nokia's blessing to do anything you want to it. meego is open source and you have meego.com's blessing to download, hack, install, or fork it in any way you wish.

legality is not the concern. liability is. nokia says "for developers only" because they dont want to be liable for real or perceived damage to the n900 by either correctly or incorrectly installing meego on it. they could also say "you can format the drive and try to install windows xp on the device, but only if you're a developer and accept full responsibility".

see, it's just not their problem if it doesn't work. and further, they are saying that if you break your n900 by trying to install stuff they didn't give you specifically to install, then they can't honor any warranty.

thats it. period. no laws being broken, no hurt feelings, etc. it is actually in nokia's best interest if you go ahead and try meego, because maybe (just maybe) you'll notice a bug or ask why something works/fails the way it does and cause the developers to fix or change something that improves meego for everyone. and then that bug is fixed before nokia ever tries to ship a meego device.

No offense but LOl what as all that got to do with my comment.
ppl wanted to see a video of MeeGo 1.1 running, it will look no different to the RC versions so i said just look at the videos made of release candidates. they will be the same.
one of the RC would of became full release version 1.1

wmarone
2010-10-28, 16:16
The presentation of the release of pr1.3 was a castrophy.
It wasn't high profile, and was never meant to be.

The presentation of the release of meego is a catastophy.
It's a developer release, did you think they were going to be trumpeting this from the hills?

But what they are doing is not serious.

It's a shame
They are serious, but there's no need for them to try and mimic Apple's ridiculous hype machine for something that isn't intended for end users.

JayBEE
2010-10-28, 16:20
Any flashplugin in this release? or other goodies in this release that might be interesting to try backporting?

There is no flashplugin in this release.

ZogG
2010-10-28, 16:21
For developers’ eyes only: MeeGo version 1.1
http://conversations.nokia.com/2010/10/28/for-developers-eyes-only-meego-version-1-1/

JayBEE
2010-10-28, 16:23

It's updated now. http://meego.com/

Yes, it is only a developer's release, not for general public usage.

NvyUs
2010-10-28, 16:26
There is no flashplugin in this release.

things like flash will be bundled in by vendors for there hardware not the MeeGo project.
I Just hope MeeGo delivers and becomes mainstream and adobe might then release Plugins on there site for download.
i hatz relying on device Manufacturers

M A S T E R
2010-10-28, 16:28
Everyone that has a cheap camcorder or high end camcorder should just start video taping everything you can with meego. If you can film it, then you should upload it! lol it would be awesome to see some of these videos just catch on like wild fire! Plus it would be educational to all the users wanting to test the stuff out ^_^

-MASTER

Dave999
2010-10-28, 16:32
why there are already videos from earlier...check em out.

NvyUs
2010-10-28, 16:33
MASTER are you still are PRO Gamer? i read the Article in the paper few years back about the league going bust.

JayBEE
2010-10-28, 16:34
things like flash will be bundled in by vendors for there hardware not the MeeGo project.

Yes, I am fully aware of this.

I Just hope MeeGo delivers and becomes mainstream and adobe might then release Plugins on there site for download.

We will see.

i hatz relying on device Manufacturers

I feel your pain.

gerdich
2010-10-28, 16:39
It wasn't high profile, and was never meant to be.

It's a developer release, did you think they were going to be trumpeting this from the hills?

They are serious, but there's no need for them to try and mimic Apple's ridiculous hype machine for something that isn't intended for end users.

Yes! Keep cool!
Apple is not good.

Better a good product than a good presentation.
Yes I love my n900.
And all my eyes and hopes are on meego.

But a good presentation is also important.

theonelaw
2010-10-28, 16:39
Reading between the lines it looks like they missed their target date,
but there could possibly be something a bit more stable in a few weeks.

Default Re: Quality of 1.1 Handset release? (http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?t=1691)
MeeGo releases are currently targeted mainly to ODMs. For them, having a predictable time schedule and a transparent QA process assessing the release status every week is more important than having undetermined delays while trying to provide the "ready" release.

The MeeGo project is being honest publishing the test results and moving to future releases the features that are not ready, as soon as the decisions are made in the Program Office. Someone building a MeeGo product has the information needed to decide whether it's better to wait or take own action on the items that need to be in better shape.

Just that the current image is only being put up to comply with the
"develop by the clock" marketing and the "develop by milestone" faction
is simply letting it go to get the marketing types to let them get on with it...
... which is probably what we might best do for the moment

I will wait a bit before committing any serious time to the meego image.

PathFinder@9GS
2010-10-28, 16:54
Maemo PR1.3 > I don't understand why some people still crib about how PR1.3 failed and everything. I mean comeon .. A few months back there was no PR1.3 there was no hope at all. Nokia announced clearly that maemo support is almost over but we STILL got PR1.3 why can't anybody be happy about it.
Just because you don't see NEW flashy icons in your menu or some new hi-tech stuff doesn't mean PR1.3 was a fail. They fixed a lot of really important bugs. EMail works a lotttt better then before no audio issues no hildon-home getting stuck.. these are just a few of the changes. It is actually a useful update from what I see.
So what we missed a few things.. no phone is perfect.. plus we have such a wonderful community.. we all will figure sth out :)

MEEGO1.1 ... about some of the people complaining about meego 1.1 expectation.. meego 1.1 was never going to be a consumer edition.. They forget that and then eventually compare meego1.1 with maemo.. comeon.. meego1.1 vs maemo5 obv they will have differences as of now .. until they complete the dev.. Its like you're comparing your old running car with a new bmw in the shop still waiting for its remaining 2 wheels.

Anyway.. just take it easy..
In any case people who want to try meego wil try .. people who want to curse nokia will curse.. people who are happy with n900 will stay happy :D.. it's still the first meego phone :D

wmarone
2010-10-28, 17:01
But a good presentation is also important.
Certainly, but that's for Nokia to worry about ;)

skripis
2010-10-28, 17:51
Reading some of the comments in here, I get the feeling that Nokia sometimes might regret their decision to develop openly...

MastaG
2010-10-28, 18:03
Hmm 1.2 is planned for April 2011 :(
I hope we'll get the video-acceleration and other nice things a little bit faster than that.

aligatro
2010-10-28, 22:59
Sorry, everyone. I suddenly lost internet yesterday and still don't have it today. (using public wifi right now). Basically, the image that is available for download is not ready for regular users yet. Most of the UI is unfinished. Voice calls work, but sound is coming out of the wrong speaker. Indicators on the main screens show that there is no reception and that battery is at 0%. Everything is extremely laggy and sometimes randomly hangs. So, not worth it.

Airtux
2010-10-29, 01:13
I have installed Meego 1.1 it's very very slow and not optimised for N900, i wait April 2011! and Nitdroid 0.0.9!