PDA

View Full Version : I have a 770, should I get a N800?

Bromo33333
2007-05-24, 20:00
I have a 770, and am relatively happy with it, but I would like to know - what is the primary advantage or advantages to "upgrading" to the N800?

Also, does anyone know if the N800 has any near term "upgrades" ahead of it?

penguinbait
2007-05-24, 20:37
I have a 770, and am relatively happy with it, but I would like to know - what is the primary advantage or advantages to "upgrading" to the N800?

Also, does anyone know if the N800 has any near term "upgrades" ahead of it?

I bought my n800 as soon as it was available, the 770 I bought very early on also.

I would say if your 770 does what you want it to, then I would wait for early next year when next version comes out.

Advantages,
2 SD slots
faster
more flash memory

There are not a lot of things from my perspective that the n800 provides, choppy youtube is definetly not an advantage. The streaming video/audio that does not work well, unless you have two n800s and its still iffy.

My 770 disappeared at Nokia repair, if not I might be still runnning the 770...

Don't get me wrong, I see nothing better in this space than the n800 and I believe the n800 is better than the 770, but is it worth the upgrade, perhaps not, I think if you are happy with what you have, you should wait for the next peice of hardware.

I am sure this is not a popular opinion, but its mine!!!

Clay
2007-05-24, 21:17
The 800 has a brighter and sharper screen [my 770 always looked like very slightly frosted glass], runs faster, and seems to have less tendency to get confused with multiple applications running as compared to my 770. On the other hand, to me, the hand-feel of the 770 is way better than the 800. To me, the 'lump' along the top edge of the 800 just doesn't feel right. The 770 felt like a gadget from the future, while the 800 feels like just another pda, with its sliver trim and hard to push buttons on the top just making it feel even more cheap compared to the 770.

While I am using the 800 [for speed and multi-application reliability] nearly 100%, I don't know that I would have stepped away from the 770 had it not been for the closing-compusa pricing on the 800.

In the best of all worlds, I woulld have been much happier if they kept the physical design of the 770 and just upgraded the screen, processor, and went to full size SD memory. I don't even see where the two speakers of the 800 are an upgrade, given the spacing involved.

Just my two cents.

geneven
2007-05-25, 01:57
People who should know are hinting that good things are on the verge for the N800, and I believe them. The 770 has been marginalized, and I think you should move up if you can. There is no way to know when if ever there will be an N900.

Modulok
2007-05-25, 06:03
It depends what you like to do with it.

I like reading e-books with my Nokia 770. It is the best e-book reading device I ever had. Without the cover it is handy as a book. The N800 I saw was too heavy for me.

I you like a mini linux in your pocket, you should look around for devices with an keyboard included and better support.

penguinbait
2007-05-25, 16:29
People who should know are hinting that good things are on the verge for the N800, and I believe them. The 770 has been marginalized, and I think you should move up if you can. There is no way to know when if ever there will be an N900.

Like I said, if you are happy with what you have, why bother. While there is no way to know if there will be an n900 or follow on product. I think that a magic OS update for n800 is just as elusive. Having had both tablets and many OS updates, I am not holding my breath for major functionality updates on the n800. I gave up and had to start breathing again, long ago...

While some people have to get attention by saying that they are in the know, I have heard plenty and seen little.

Since I already gave my 2 cents, this is my 3 cents!!! Next we bump up to a nickel...

brohken
2007-05-25, 20:09
Read the thread but just wanted to see if it was worth getting the N800 now or waiting for something new. I don't know what the life expectancy of these models is.

phi
2007-05-25, 21:29
I'm still holding onto my n770 and installed the hacker edition of OS2007 to hold me over. The only advantages I've heard are the 2 slots, and faster (as in a few seconds of loading) processor. I hardly run multiple programs, so the 770 is fine for now. Plus, I REALLY like the hard cover.

I wonder if anyone has done a battery drain shootout between the 2 tablets. Seeing how the 770's processor and memory is more anemic, it might stand to reason it drains the battery a little slower.

Dietrich
2007-05-26, 04:53
Get the N800. Why?

"Because it's there"

And while you're at it, get the as yet to be released N900 with WIMAX! ;)

fanoush
2007-05-26, 10:55
Both devices has its issues. If you are happy with N770 then keep it and wait. I am using both and sometimes I prefer N770 over N800. N800 is better for web browsing since it is faster, Opera is newer and device has more RAM which is good for having more pages open. ALso N800 is better for media since you can fit more of them to SD card(s) and USB transfer speed is much faster. Otherwise N770 is good enough. Hardcover is great, buttons are better, it feels better in hand and the touchscreen is more accurate and display blinks and flickers less on lowest brightness. Basically I am leaving N800 at home for my family to use and carry N770 everywhere with me. And even at home I mostly stick to my N770 and use N800 when N770 runs out of battery or I want to do some more web browsing or something else where speed matters. So yes, N800 _is_ better but if you are happy with N770 stick with it, there may be things that you will miss when upgrading to N800. However the truth is that things will improve with N800 in future but N770's best future is now or is already over.

michelkenny
2007-07-15, 17:08
With the new firmware update for the N800, would you still say to keep the 770 if you already have it? I want to buy either a 770 or N800 for the first time... the N800 looks nice but is 3 times the price of the 770. I'm not sure which one I should get. I will mainly be doing some browsing and maemo mapper. Would the 770 be sufficient?