PDA

View Full Version : About My N800 (Good Read)

testerj
2007-05-26, 00:52
I like being able to communicate with my orb when @ home just walking around my unit, I can browse site's instant message whilst walking around.

At work, I can connect in Toronto to the hydro one wireless internet (Which has an 8km or about 6 miles of the city) although the connection seems to be slow inside a building and fast outside.

It took me a whole week to pimp out my n800

Things I don't like are
The PC Camera on it seems to give a really average picture, although it has some strong functionality with googletalk (I haven't really tested it because that doesn't seem popular enough yet) Connecting a PC Cam on Yahoo or MSN seems to be a challenge.

I walked over to the local shopping mall the Eaton Center in Toronto and purchased a 4GB SDHC card for around $80 CDN (other stores where selling it for up to 300!)

Walked back to work and found that it wasn't reading my card... then I found out there was a kernal downloadable to fix that... (impressed that programmers have a fix for this already) And got my N800 to recognize SDHC Kingston Flash Memory 4G Card

The speakers on the left and right hand don't tend to give out alot of bass, but aren't annoying either and when not connected to the headset it's not too bad to use at all.

Finding wireless networks is a breeze, everywhere seems to have them and luckily people tend to share their internet in apartment buildings so if at a friends I can still check my email.

I looked at all the Pocket PC's out there and I think that Nokia deserves a hands up for supporting the open source software community, I think that's what I would call a smart move.

Unfortunately it seems that there is still work to be done with certain features to come on board, such as skype and maybe some other VOIP software could be used, but apparently there is a solution if you look for it.

Overall if I was rating this device against others in the market, I'd say the N800 is fun to play around on. I mean I wasn't expecting a linux operating system and to download/install quite a few things, but I am enjoying it.

Sometimes there are error messages on installs because they rely on other files to install, but if you do some smart searching there has not been an application I can't install eventually.

Minimo seems to be a better browser than the standard opera browser, however it's a bit unstable, it almost seems like this browser should have been preinstalled or supported better.

In fact it seems some people have got Java running, how about including that in the next update :-)

And finally maybe you can hire some artists to actually make some more amazing themes, and let people really customize it.

I found that it was easy to recieve a picture from their bluetooth on the phone, but doing other things like syncing with contacts seems to be a pain in the behind...

The touch screen is pretty impressive, it easily recognize's your fingers automatically and throws up a large keyboard. There is a button at the top to bring it out to full screen.

Canola media player is impressive, it give's it that kind of mac/vista look and would look awesome on the dash of a car, with the back clip it makes it easy.

Canola can be used with your Orb connection to, so you can use it to browse your media at home.

When I feel like communicating I open up one of the instant messenger managers and talk to my friends on msn, yahoo and aim aol instant messenger.

I wouldn't mind seeing what another operating system would look like on the n800 and if I could all more virtual memory than 128MB as bigger cards don't seem to be accepted to trade off more virtual memory.

If you think there is anything fun about your N800 that I am missing here, please feel free to share it, I would like to learn more about the fun things it does... and yes I have tried the computer game emulators they are kind of average at this time....

Some more games on this machine would be great, some support of a more major game would be great as well... maybe some kind of ngage port ? If that is at all possible... ?

Summary
Office tools, web2.0 support (which I think requires Java?), Bluetooth contact syncing, increased virtual memory capability, full SDHC kernel support, better games are some suggested upgrades that would make it more powerfull.

* Browsing is pretty fast with good connection, can log into accounts on encrypted sites(banks)
* Canola Media Player is A++ and supports Orb (remotely connecting to pc)
Which looks like
* Larger memory cards SDHC can be installed with community supported kernel
* Solutions are out there to use google docs if you look hard for it
* It seems there is no official office like support at this time
* Growing in popularity, it seems like more programmers are joining up and making the n800 more interesting on a daily basis
* Seems like the N770 is getting some extra functionality out of this new release which is great for older purchasers in terms of backwards portability
* More secure? this is questionable, but this linux environment is meant to be better when it comes to that, can anyone tell me any different.
* Not really a gaming device, this deserves about a D in this area, there needs to be support for better and licenced software if necessary
* I believe 16GB SDHC are in the planning at this time

++Maemo.org is a great source of software, testing and even programming if your interested in the open source development project++

Rider
2007-05-26, 09:47
Great review!

But I don't think that Minimo is the better browser. opera has some nice features, esp. when you have to zoom because the letters are too small to read. The whole handling on this small device is much better with Opera. I use Minimo only for a few sites which refuse to connect with Opera (banking sites mainly).