PDA

View Full Version : VLC for the N800?

brohken
2007-05-28, 07:31
Anyone know if something out there is available that will let us play most any file format on the N800 (and be able to handle subtitles).

VLC would be nice if someone could port it. Any word of this? Is it possible?

maxilogan
2007-05-28, 09:12
What about mplayer? There is a port already available, together with a simple GUI, and can read all the files that its desktop counterpart can read.

Rocketman
2007-05-28, 09:21
The short answer is no, but mplayer is available (https://garage.maemo.org/projects/mplayer/). The long answer is that next time, please conduct even the most rudimentary of searches before creating a new, ultimately worthless post.

pumo
2007-05-28, 10:03
but mplayer in maemo isn't capable show ie. dreambox ts streams...
vlc should work, I think so :-)

geneven
2007-05-28, 11:17
I disagree with the prevailing consensus that people should be made to quake in fear before posting questions. I think that repeat questions are ok, but I think that those who object to them should feel free not to respond.

remjax
2007-05-28, 12:04
I agree geneven. Rookies seem to be looked down upon or expected to know much more than they do.

Yes the SEARCH feature is there, YES it should be used but why must at least one person SMART off about it?

Just answer the quest, ignore the question or give a POLITE HINT about the search function.

fpp
2007-05-28, 12:40
Why didn't you do it yourself, then ?...

fanoush
2007-05-28, 14:40
I disagree with the prevailing consensus that people should be made to quake in fear before posting questions.

Agreed.

I think that repeat questions are ok, but I think that those who object to them should feel free not to respond.
There is one big disadvantage. Repeated questions (and answers) make searching for the answer much harder. Which thread would you read if search gives you 10 similar topics? Will you read all of them? Will you be happy if each of them contains different partial info and most of them just suggestion to do a search or pointers to different topics? Will you give up and create 11th similar thread apologizing that you cannot find the information and ask same question again? I think this is scenario is very likely.

So this is about maintaining order and reducing noise to minimum. Newbies are the ones who will profit from this most of all.

Just tried to enter VLC into search box and there is couple of threads asking same question.

luketoh
2007-05-28, 15:18
Hence we should have some FAQs around for stuff...somehow, sites like these need some structured thing like that...

or maybe pinned topics?

Rocketman
2007-05-28, 21:19
I am not trying to be pissy, but I really can't stand it when people can't even be bothered to type a few self-obvious search terms into a box before starting a thread.

I think the general consensus is that Wiki's are good platforms for faq type stuff. This site even has one. http://www.internettablettalk.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
The multimedia section isn't very well fleshed out right now.

There are enough questions/threads on multimedia stuff that perhaps we could use a audio/video sub-forum? Anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

LordFu
2007-05-29, 04:00
I like VLC.

My $.02 :p

PowerUser
2007-05-29, 11:02
I like VLC.

My $.02 :p
VLC is not equal Mplayer.Mplayer is a good thing but it has quite limited streaming and networking support.Mplayer can play some files from HTTP server, but for example I'm failed to choose any stream format which will make Mplayer happy with VLC server "broad"casting video as HTTP server.Mplayer can handle video from HTTP but somehow picky in choosing what it willing to play and what is not.Streams from VLC streamed over HTTP is not what works damn well with mplayer :mad:

bac522
2007-05-29, 15:03
VLC is not equal Mplayer.Mplayer is a good thing but it has quite limited streaming and networking support.Mplayer can play some files from HTTP server, but for example I'm failed to choose any stream format which will make Mplayer happy with VLC server "broad"casting video as HTTP server.Mplayer can handle video from HTTP but somehow picky in choosing what it willing to play and what is not.Streams from VLC streamed over HTTP is not what works damn well with mplayer :mad:

Huh???? Did you proof read this? Your posting is not very clear as to what you are trying to say. I don't know if you are saying VLC is better or Mplayer is better.

I will say that I've had far greater success with Mplayer playing practically any stream I throw at it verses VLC. I like VLC through for streaming out to devices as it as a good interface for setting up such.

If you're curious to see the codecs that Mplayer comes with just type at the command prompt:

mplayer -vc help

PowerUser
2007-05-31, 12:27
Huh???? Did you proof read this? Your posting is not very clear as to what you are trying to say. I don't know if you are saying VLC is better or Mplayer is better.
No, they're just different.VLC is master of networking and streaming, Mplayer handles more formats and handles some formats better(in some video formats however sometimes VLC is a winner as well).On desktop I'm using both :)

I will say that I've had far greater success with Mplayer playing practically any stream I throw at it verses VLC. I like VLC through for streaming out to devices as it as a good interface for setting up such.
That's where I come to stuck.I routed video stream from VLC to it's HTTP streaming output.I wanted VLC to re-code input stream on the fly into format which is handled well on n800 without any slowdowns, etc.

Normally, mplayer can play files over http and VLC`s http server is just outputs video stream over http when client connects, so it can work, at least in theory.But I failed to find stream output format which will make mplayer happy with VLC's server so it can play such stream.It attempts to play stream, even recognizes its format but fails at some point.However mplayer can play some other video formats from usual HTTP server.That's some issue with inter-operability I guess.Actually mplayer and VLC not replacing each other.They're complement.

If you're curious to see the codecs that Mplayer comes with just type at the command prompt:

mplayer -vc help
I'm familiar with mplayer, thanks.But as for me I will be happy to see VLC on n800 as well - it is a real master of networking.I doubt this will happen anyhow soon though, since VLC is quite big and complex.