PDA

View Full Version : Nokia 770 NO LONGER BOOTS

kurtgodel
2005-12-10, 21:52
Hi all,

I got my Nokia 770 a few days ago and was having trouble connecting to Wifi. Tech support told me to shut down, remove the battery, and restart. This was annoying, but it worked. While online, I installed a few apps (xterm, ssh, GAIM, etc.), and tried setting my path in /home/user/.profile to include the install directory, as well as \bin and . I didn't include \sbin, but my change to .profile didn't seem to have any effect anyway.

The next day I had the wifi problem again, so I removed the battery and tried to restart. Now it fails to boot. The Nokia screen (not the hands, just the Nokia name) comes up and the progress bar starts moving, but at a certain (apparently random) point, the screen flashes, and the progress bar starts over, at the left. This continues to repeat until I remove the battery to turn it off.

I called tech support again. They said they had never heard of this problem, and told me to exchange it at CompUSA, which is difficult for obvious reasons. (Also, I'd like to find out exactly what caused this, so it doesn't happen again. I don't have a lot of Linux experience, but could the .profile be messing up the boot script?) I tried running the update software from the Nokia Europe website. This starts up, but fails at a certain point with "error code: ?". There's the flasher software, with which I could reboot r&d mode and get root (and delete .profile or at least see debug info on startup), but I don't have a Linux box or Mac handy.

Has anyone seen this behavior? Any advice?

Kurt

henry
2005-12-10, 21:56
I had problems with the image from the Nokia Europe website too. Maybe you can try the image from http://maemo.org/downloads/nokia_770

kurtgodel
2005-12-10, 22:18
Thanks a lot, I was able to do the update with Nokia_770_0.2005.45-8.bin from maemo. (I've lost my data, it hasn't succeeded in getting online yet, but at lease it boots!)

Do you think my path statement was the problem, i.e., is it used during startup?

Miho
2005-12-10, 23:41
Hi all,

Has anyone seen this behavior? Any advice?

Kurt

I had exactly same kind off behavior on my 770 after I installed xterm and added path information. I didn't even have root rights so boot problem was little suprise for me. Anyway I don't know any cure for this so I would like to know if anyone has got path settings work correctly?

henry
2005-12-11, 09:37
I don't know if .profile is the problem. Mine works fine. Here is what it looks like:

#!/bin/sh
export PATH=$PATH:/var/lib/install/usr/bin
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/var/lib/install/usr/lib

alias ssh="/var/lib/install/usr/bin/dbclient -i /home/user/.ssh/id_rsa.db"
alias sshd="/var/lib/install/etc/init.d/dropbear-server $1 $2"

Calle
2005-12-16, 17:39
I had exactly same kind off behavior on my 770 after I installed xterm and added path information. I didn't even have root rights so boot problem was little suprise for me. Anyway I don't know any cure for this so I would like to know if anyone has got path settings work correctly?

I had this one too. I think the reason it didn't boot up properly afterwards was that I had left out /usr/bin from the path.