PDA

View Full Version : Nokia N800 with MSN!!!!

RobMtl007
2007-05-30, 13:04
Greetings Everyone:

Ok, don't get excited about the title of my post.

Would anyone know how many users world wide use MSN?

Ok, if anyone knows the answer, do you think Microsoft would not attempt
to intergrate MSN with the Nokia N800?

OK I can see that all you Linux programers jaws just droped to the flloor.

From January 2007, when the N800 was announced this device is quickly becoming very popular.
So tell me everyone if you were Bill, wouldn't you at least consider its potential if MSN would be installed on it.

Also, those of you who have installed Gizmo project on the N800 and some of you say stated that you can intergrate your MSN contacts into Gizmo.

Can you show everyone some screen samples.

Regards Robert

TA-t3
2007-05-30, 13:20
I don't use it myself, but from what I can see the gaim client has an MSN plugin already, so you should be all set. That's chat, I assume.

peterjb31
2007-05-30, 13:28
Use GAIM (or pidgin as I think it has been renamed). It is very good and allows use of several different networks. I personally prefer it to the MSN messenger M$ made in the first place. I however use kopete on the desktop as I run linux.

rheve
2007-05-30, 14:40
You can even use the default IM client with your Jabber account and the proper gateway. I use that every day to chat with MSN contacts.

amigokin
2007-05-30, 16:59
Yep, both solution work perfect. Besides, desktops Linux distros are more popular than maemo and MS didn't develop a version for them...

So.. use GAIM it works like a charm

PowerUser
2007-05-31, 11:54
You can use Pidgin, set up to use MSN account and it will work.Tested at least for messages.But actually MSN is pretty sucking protocol with brain-damaged design.It has nice features like custom smiles, avatars and other extras.But this is worth of nothing when protocol may fail to deliver message from Alice to Bob without letting Alice know delivery has failed so she thinks Bob just ignores her messages.There is really better alternatives in the world.MSN is only popular just because nasty MSN client is built in into Windows by default (and even pretty hard to remove even if you don't like it) and people are not aware of better ones.That's how abuse of monopoly works :\

torx
2007-06-02, 08:25
Well, unless Nokia were to pay Microsoft, it is unlikely Microsoft will develop one for Maemo on their own initiative. Afterall, there wasn't MSN messenger for Linux in the first place.

But even if that were to happen, it would no doubt be a binary blob, and could very likely be a badly done wine port too.

Either way, we're better off using Pidgin (or GAIM, if you live in a cave).

Adam_n800
2007-06-13, 01:09
I use Gaim 2.0, but find it sometimes annoying using the N800's keypad to chat, I'm more use to using the full size keyboard as I'm a fast touch typer.

I think there is a way of enabling you to use the default IM app on the n800, for use with MSN/WML I lost the link though :(

heavymetal
2007-06-26, 23:13
"..I think there is a way of enabling you to use the default IM app on the n800, for use with MSN/WML I lost the link though.."

I saw a really nice folding bluetooth keyboard for 100$ !

tché

rhouge
2007-06-28, 23:58
You can even use the default IM client with your Jabber account and the proper gateway. I use that every day to chat with MSN contacts.
And what would that gateway be? Very interested here.

YoDude
2007-06-29, 00:05
Go here >> http://mobile.msn.com/device/en-us/default.aspx with the N800 browser.

rheve
2007-06-29, 07:16
And what would that gateway be? Very interested here.

Being French I use a French server, www.nuxo.net
I fear you'll have to make a little bit of search for other provider. Go to www.jabber.org, and search the public server list (www.jabber.org/user/publicservers.shtml). It is not always obvious if those servers offer the gateway to other systems.
Have a look here www.jabber.org/user/userguide/#findgateways, it may help.

Anyway, I recommend you to do the registration / setup on a regular computer, check that everything is up and running well, and then switch to the N800. That's the way I did it and it went pretty well.

xPAKxMaster
2007-11-28, 19:19
so if you want to chat using msn, u should be all set.
Now my question is: is there a way to do video chats with msn contacts?

i was thinking that you could modify the skype code to access the windows live protocol for video messaging.

or is there an app does does this allready?

amigokin
2007-11-28, 19:32
i was thinking that you could modify the skype code to access the windows live protocol for video messaging.

Haha! That's a good one! :D

Moonshine
2007-11-28, 19:38
so if you want to chat using msn, u should be all set.
Now my question is: is there a way to do video chats with msn contacts?

or is there an app does does this allready?

That would be quite the trick...

A) Skype for N8xxx doesn't do video at all currently
B) There is no open "code" for Skype on the n8xxx
C) It's likely waaaaay different then the code/codecs used by Messinger

In otherwords you'll never see it. :)

For video from n8xxx to PC you just have the following choices currently:

1) Gizmo Project
2) SIP (VoIP) clients that support H.263
3) Jabber clients that support jingle-video (which I have yet to find for the PC)

Golab
2007-11-28, 19:42
That would be quite the trick...

A) Skype for N8xxx doesn't do video at all currently
B) There is no open "code" for Skype on the n8xxx
C) It's likely waaaaay different then the code/codecs used by Messinger

In otherwords you'll never see it. :)

For video from n8xxx to PC you just have the following choices currently:

1) Gizmo Project
2) SIP (VoIP) clients that support H.263
3) Jabber clients that support jingle-video (which I have yet to find for the PC)

can u explain to my how i make video call on Gizmo i´m using N800 whit os2008, but i can only make voice calls to PC

// Sorry About My Spelling I´m Dyslectic \\

Moonshine
2007-11-28, 19:55
Are you using the beta PC Gizmo client that supports video?

http://www.gizmoproject.com/jasmine/WinGizmoBetaLatest.exe

omegaone37
2007-11-28, 19:56
can u explain to my how i make video call on Gizmo i´m using N800 whit os2008, but i can only make voice calls to PC

// Sorry About My Spelling I´m Dyslectic \\

You need the Ver 4 of Gizmo (if you don't have it already.

Regards,

Omega

zerojay
2007-11-28, 20:17
Also, those of you that want MSN on your tablet without installing Pidgin can do so with Jablet.org. Send me a PM if you need help.

John88
2008-03-21, 17:37
Hi

I just got my N800 today and am thrilled with its performance, even more so after i had updated to OS2008.

Ive read on lots of sites about using jabber to talk to people on you msn account. So i downloaded PSI onto my desktop computer and i tried to set up my jabber account onto it, but i just doesnt seem to work, i dont know what the server port is or anything and cant find it anywhere!?

Can anyone give me a hand or have a tutorial i can look at??

Thanks

John

qwerty12
2008-03-21, 17:39
This is a bit outdated, you can now use MSN directly in the built in client nativitly.
http://rtcomm.garage.maemo.org/

ShyBoy
2008-03-22, 16:53
I know that its not implemented in rtcomm to use handwritting with MSN (You can use this feature on MSN Messenger on PC)

Any idea that this will ever be implemented?

I love to see this feature on my N800 :)

ehwin
2008-03-22, 18:33
my contacts don't show up qwerty12
any ideas why this is?