PDA

View Full Version : Difficulties with Canola & Media Streamer

Macindows
2007-05-31, 18:32
Okay I've been looking all day in this forum for an appropriate answer to my question but I couldn't find anything so please excuse me, if this question has been answered already a thousend times.

Problem:
I would like to stream videos and audiofiles from my PC over WLAN to my N800 using CANOLA or MEDIA STREAMER. Orb doesn't work well for me. But how can I have access to my shared files via Canola or Media streamer? What do I have to configure / install on my PC? How does it work at all? I have no idea.

I'd appreciate it very much if you could help me out and explain it EASILY!
Cheers!:)

MikeL
2007-05-31, 20:03
Basically you need media server software running on a PC, some examples are Twonky and TVersity; but there are also a number of others available.

www.tversity.com
www.twonkyvision.de

The Media Server is advised where your personal and Internet media is stored or available from and serves it to software running on the Internet Tablet such as Canola & Media Streamer.

Macindows
2007-05-31, 20:52
@Mikel
Thanks for the info!
I installed both of the programs you recommended. At first TwonkyMedia and then TVersity. I installed the programs, shared some folders, changed some settings to decrease the bitrate of the used codec, saved everything, restarted the program to be sure and then started my Nokia N800.
However, neither Media Streamer nor Canola could find any of my shared folders in my network. Can this be so hard or what am I doing wrong?

MikeL
2007-05-31, 22:05
I assume Canola And Media streamer on the Internet Tablet can see the two media servers running on your network?

The way you share your media with each server especially if it's on a network drive rather than the PC that the media servers are running on is important. (Windows account settings and sharing?)

You will need to read the FAQ & support pages + forums for Twonky & TVersity to understand how to share correctly for your particular environment and to ensure firewall and ports that need to see through it are set up correctly for each programme.