PDA

View Full Version : Which is best to use with the Nokia 800?

JJS070470
2007-06-02, 19:31
I am seriously considering getting the Nokia 800. I know that it operates on Wi-fi and Bluetooth, however, which phones is it most compatable with. I am currently using Sprint as my carrier and am due for an upgrade to my phone. I'd like to get one that's user friendly with the Nokia 800 and one which will be easily recognized by the Nokia 800 when trying to establish a broadboand connection with my cell. Thanks.

jortiz
2007-06-03, 06:33
i beleive on sprint you need have a plan to teather a device,which seem rather expensive.i forgett the price i was quoted but it was alot more than the all you can eat 20.00 plan.i went into the sprint in cleveland to test their edvo speeds on my device and they wouIdnt pair up.im with at n t , and any phone with 3g would be good(although the blackjack uses b.t. pan and not dun)i messed around with the nokia n75 today and it was good,speeds were good to very good...just incase you were up to switching.and that works with the 20.00 internet plan.

JJS070470
2007-06-03, 14:50
I am willing to swith networks at this point since my contrcat is up soon. I don't necessarily want to "tether" the N800 to my phone, but would like to access the BT capabilities of the phone to get online if Wi-Fi was not accessable in the area where I was at the moment. I guess the real meat of my question was pertaining to which phone and carrier would be best suited for this type of scenario?

Thanks

dcarter
2007-06-03, 15:47
I think the carrier jortiz is talking about is cingular/att. They have a $20.00 medianet unlimited plan that works, and the N75 is one of cingular's newest offerings. I have the LG CU-500 phone- it is cheap and 3g fast.

dcarter

johnkzin
2007-09-27, 08:47
What's the difference between AT&T's "Medianet unlimited" at $20, vs their PDA Connect with Tethering at $70?

If all I need, in order to use my phone with my n800, is Medianet unlimited, that's great ... but I was under the impression that was called "tethering", which is why I was assuming you need to use their "PDA Connect with tethering" option.

krisse
2007-09-27, 12:19
I don't necessarily want to "tether" the N800 to my phone, but would like to access the BT capabilities of the phone to get online if Wi-Fi was not accessable in the area

What do you see as the difference between tethering it and using it to get online?

klinglerware
2007-09-27, 14:56
A lurker for a few months here. Anyway...

Another option you might consider for a data plan is T-mo. They just rolled back their unlimited internet plan to $20 (and that plan does allow for tethering). So, if you don't need 3G, that may be a possibility for you. And as others have mentioned, a phone with DUN will probably be less of a hassle to tether than a phone with PAN.

johnkzin
2007-09-27, 16:11
I was looking at t-mobile, but to get their total internet unlimited rate plan, you have to use either a Dash or a Wing ... and I've been told that the Dash is a pain to work with (and it's a PAN, isn't it?). Plus, if I'm going to buy one of those, I can probably use it for most of the things I'd want to use my N800 for, so it would be a little redundant. And ... they run windows (eew).

I'm looking at MetroPCS at the moment. I found a forum that talks about how to enable a few of their phones for DUN. Flat rate (I can get unlimited voice and unlimited internet for under $50) ... if I can make it work, then that seems ideal.

klinglerware
2007-09-27, 17:36
I was looking at t-mobile, but to get their total internet unlimited rate plan, you have to use either a Dash or a Wing ...

I would bet that customer service will add the service for you if you ask for it, regardless of your phone (as long as you have phone service through them).

I have the unlimited plan with an SDA, btw.

scrappy898
2007-09-27, 17:49
In your oppinion(everybody at the forum), what is the cheaapest and most effective plan to work with? I don't care about the carrier and if i dont have to buy talk mkinutes but only need the 'internet service' will be good!!! Imagine 20 dollars and i dont have to swtich carriers

johnkzin
2007-09-27, 19:45
I would bet that customer service will add the service for you if you ask for it, regardless of your phone (as long as you have phone service through them).

I have the unlimited plan with an SDA, btw.

Yes, but the Wing is the replacement for the MDA and SDA, isn't it? meaning, it's the same limitation I already outlined, only your phone is a previous generation.

You're probably right, that if I talk to the right person, I might get the total internet plan even if I have a lesser phone ... but then we're talking about me hacking a phone I own ought right with no contract (MetroPCS) where I'm just out the price of the phone if I'm wrong ... vs being at the mercy of the whim and luck of customer service, and being stuck in a 2 year contract, if I'm wrong, if I go with T-Mobile. Plus, the T-Mobile monthly rate, even with the $20 internet plan, is still more than MetroPCS (even before you factor in that MetroPCS _also_ has unlimited talk minutes).

At the moment I'm leaning toward the MetroPCS. Slightly more up-front money, but easier to get out of it if it ends up being less than what I had hoped for. And the ability to make it work is more based upon my ingenuity than talking to the right customer service rep.

johnkzin
2007-09-27, 20:02
In your oppinion(everybody at the forum), what is the cheaapest and most effective plan to work with? I don't care about the carrier and if i dont have to buy talk mkinutes but only need the 'internet service' will be good!!! Imagine 20 dollars and i dont have to swtich carriers

If MetroPCS works out (which requires a little bit of finesse and tinkering to make it work; and you have to be in a MetroPCS area, they're only in a few cities right now), then you can have unlimited minutes (legit) and unlimited internet (they only expect you to be using it for web) for under $50/mo. A little more if you want unlimited text messaging and some other extras. But they're a flat-rate carrier, so whatever services they have are either "off" or "unlimited use". Though, if I understand it correctly, you get charged per minute if you leave you city, even if you're in another MetroPCS city (so, you get unlimited minutes at the expense of unlimited travel). Because they're flat-rate, you don't really get subsidized phones, and their phone section is worse than first tier carriers.

T-Mobile is a little more expensive (no unlimited talk minutes, but some good talk rate plans if you get a Favorites phone (5 numbers, any carrier or even landline, with unlimited minutes), and the "unlimited mobile to mobile" add-on, which gets you unlimited minutes to other t-mobile phones)... but their data plan is supposedly fully intended to be used with the real internet. Though, their phone selection is only slightly better than MetroPCS (as my girlfriend likes to say "best plans [of the first tier carriers], but the worst phone selection [of the first tier carriers]" ... she's a T-mobile customer who has tried just about every phone they have). At least T-mobile has unlimited roaming in your home country, so better travel prospects than MetroPCS.

AT&T has an unlimited data plan, that, if I analyzed it correctly costs you about $40 for the lowest any-time minutes, and then $70 for unlimited PDA internet use with tethering (you can get unlimited internet for cheaper, but that doesn't include the right to use tethering, and they say right up front that they'll cancel you if you're using your phone in a way that exceeds your contract's data expectation). Oh, and you can only get it with certain (higher cost) phones.

Sprint only has blackberry unlimited data, and that has _ZERO_ included talk minutes. And, IIRC, it's not cheap.

Verizon is in the same class as Sprint and AT&T.

IMO, it's "T-Mobile" or "MetroPCS". And which one you choose is really a matter of taste and circumstance.

If you're willing to do a little finessing (and never being able to ask customer support about anything about internet use other than web browsing with your actual phone), and don't do a lot of travel, then MetroPCS is probably cheaper.

If you want better actual support for the internet plan, and do a bit of travel to places other than the 6-8 metro areas MetroPCS covers ... then you'll probably be willing to pay a little more for T-Mobile.

That's been my analysis over the last week or two.

Richard G
2007-09-28, 14:32
in terms of devices, rather than price plans, as you can probably imagine all of the nseries range work perfectly with it, n95, n91, n76, n93 etc and more, if you go for a decent device and you've made sure with your carrier first that it can be used as a modem, then there shouldnt be a problem. :)

scrappy898
2007-09-28, 15:13
MetroPCS is great, I had it before as my cellphoen provider(UNTIL I LOST MY CELL)... and the area it's pretty good(I'm located in palm beach gardens, fl) now the issue itself is if it would be able to be use with the n800 and what speed should I expect???(Any first hand experiences??)

klinglerware
2007-09-28, 15:40
being at the mercy of the whim and luck of customer service, and being stuck in a 2 year contract, if I'm wrong, if I go with T-Mobile.

I don't think that you would be rolling the dice that much with t-mo. The materials I've seen on their website suggest that you are able to use your phone as a modem without penalty with the plan, and it seems that a lot of people with unlocked GSM phones not bought from T-mobile do use t-mo with a data plan without any problems--so you probably won't need to do anything sneaky to get it added. You could probably even tell them that your phone has modem capability and you would like a plan that allows you to use it.

But it does sound like Metro PCS will work out best for you. I think that is what it comes down to, with questions like this. What service is best really depends on the needs of the customer, and the coverage quality in the areas the customer frequents. For me, I do travel abroad quite a bit, so I do need to be on a GSM carrier (Skype on n800 is great internationally, but it won't help me if there's no wi-fi). So when I went through this exercise a couple of months ago, it was between at&t and t-mobile. At&T had the advantage in terms of rollover (since I rarely eat through my minutes) and good 3G support in my metro area. But, their data plans and policies didn't fit me as much as T-mo, so I went with the latter.

But in the end, the right plan depends on your circumstances.

nosam
2007-10-03, 06:30
At the moment I'm leaning toward the MetroPCS. Slightly more up-front money, but easier to get out of it if it ends up being less than what I had hoped for. And the ability to make it work is more based upon my ingenuity than talking to the right customer service rep.

Tell me if it works with PCS. I was told a few weeks ago by a PCS reseller that there is NO tethering on any PCS phone at all. He said it was turned off by PCS on all phones. Maybe this was a wrong comment. He could have been giving me a line, but thought I should tell you. I am in SF, CA. Maybe you can find someone who has tethered with metro PCS recently to prove this wrong.

Could PCS allow some data/internet via phones but not tethering at all?