PDA

View Full Version : opera's user agent string

gregh2000
2005-12-12, 02:28
Hi,

I have to use a website for work every day and it requires IE 5.0 or higher. It runs on sql or something, I have tried changing the number in the opera.ini file but it doesn't report to the site any differently, does anyone know how to make opera report itself as IE?

Thanks

gregh2000
2005-12-12, 04:30
I have been doing more research on this topic and I have found what the numbers are for, but even when set to "5" it still identifies itself as opera. I have been reading about a user java script. Anyone know if there is such a thing with the 770 version of opera?

found that info here:

http://www.scss.com.au/family/andrew/opera/browserids/

gultig
2005-12-12, 06:50
Mozilla/%s (%s; U) Opera 8.02 ~ [%s]^@^@^@^@Mozilla/%s [en] (%s; U)^@Mozilla/%%s (%%s; U) Opera %s ~ [%%s]^@^@^@Opera/%s%%s (%%s; U) ~ [%%s]^@^@^@^@Mozilla/4.0 (compatible;
MSIE %%s; %%s; U) Opera %s ~ [%%s]^@8.02

a quick look at /usr/bin/browser shows that, as a last resort, binary hacking is always an alterative. i may do this since my bank (wells fargo) refuses to work with anything but the latest version (non beta) of ie or ff.

gregh2000
2005-12-12, 07:39
if you figure it out let me know, I am far from knowing what I am doing with Linux and I would like to figure out how to make it detect the browser differently. I don't even know if the page that I use will even run without IE but I guess it is worth a try. Otherwise I will setup VNC on a comptuer with IE and do it that way once a VNC client comes out that works with the 770. I have seen the VNC client that is out now, I haven't tried to install it yet, but it says that it doesn't support a keyboard, but with windows xp there is a built in on screen keyboard that might work as long as you don't need to login to the comptuer.

gultig
2005-12-13, 13:26
I have verified that the following hack will allow usage of online.wellsfargo.com by replacing the word Opera with Blank in the user-agent string.

WARNING:

Only use this code on 2.2005.45-8. It will only work if you are root. I accept no responsibility if you brick your device. You have been warned.
echo -n "Blank" | dd conv=notrunc of=/usr/bin/browser bs=1 seek=4181163

anson
2005-12-14, 23:13
That's one approach :-)

On Windows (and mac and linux, I suppose) Opera reads a ua.ini file that allows overriding the user agent string in a better way than the network preference setting, which still has the word "Opera" in the string. For example:

[Identity]
slate.com=5

would use a very IE like agent string for slate.com. I created my own ua.ini file for various sites but I can't get the 770's Opera implementation to read it; placed the file in the .opera folder but nada. I also tried adding the section to opera.ini but also no luck.

Anyone know if this form of user agent override is supported by 770's Opera implementation?

Reggie
2005-12-15, 19:43
In a site that checks and displays the browser's agent string, here's what's displayed for the 770:

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; ; Linux armv5tejl; U) Opera 8.02 [en] N770/SU-18

gultig
2005-12-15, 21:35
In a site that checks and displays the browser's agent string, here's what's displayed for the 770:

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; ; Linux armv5tejl; U) Opera 8.02 [en] N770/SU-18
yep. and even though for the most part it's an ie string, some sites filter if they see the word opera anywhere.

fpp
2006-03-21, 08:34
This is an old thread, but for the sake of completeness in case anyone stumbles upon it through a search (like I just did) :

This is easily solved used PRIVOXY as a local proxy on the 770 : see the HOWTO on the ITT Wiki.