PDA

View Full Version : Internet radio help for dummies?

dhausle
2007-06-06, 22:27
I like occasionally using the internet radio but can anyone help me put stations I find I like in the shortcut area (the internet radio launcher on my desktop)? The only one on there now is the default of Audio Hitkast.

When I try to stream familiar stations I like out of town (like CFNY-FM out of Toronto) it doesn't work. I think they need a WMA player that I guess is not compatible with the 770. Right?

I have found some station I like on SHOUTCAST but I get them by hitting the 'tune in' buttons. The audio player launches, it buffers and I enjoy but then there's no URL that I can copy and past as the instructions tell you to do. How do I get those stations into my shortcut?

Please don't just repeat the cut/paste instructions. My problem is I can't find the URL's to past from the stations I 'tune in' to on SOUTCAST.

HELP!:confused:

fatherom
2007-06-06, 23:58
Select the 'tune in' button, but hold it down with the stylus. There will be 'add link to media player'.

alejf
2007-06-07, 02:39
Use streamtuner for listen shoucast, xiph, live365 is better and fast

dhausle
2007-06-07, 19:48
Using the 'press and hold' advice I was able to copy a 'tune in' shoutcast URL but I got the message "Unable to open. Playlist format not supported" before I could save.

The URL I was trying to save was : http://www.shoutcast.com/sbin/shoutcast-playlist.pls?rn=7789&file=filename.pls

So, any further solutions?

Is the 'streamtuner' needed for saving Shoutcast stations?

What is 'streamtuner'? How do you get it/use it?

TA-t3
2007-06-08, 09:46
I did the following: On my desktop linux box, download that link: wget "that URL of yours" (note quotes)
This got me a text file. Inside that file were four new URLs, these point to the actual stream. I opened the media player on the N800 and (in one of the menues) I could enter that URL (I believe all four are the same station), and it started playing ok. However, the Media Player is pretty lame, there's no obvious way to edit the name of the station, for example.
(One of the URLs that worked for me: http://67.19.5.35:80)

There's probably some other way too.

alejf
2007-06-08, 14:31
Using the 'press and hold' advice I was able to copy a 'tune in' shoutcast URL but I got the message "Unable to open. Playlist format not supported" before I could save.

The URL I was trying to save was : http://www.shoutcast.com/sbin/shoutcast-playlist.pls?rn=7789&file=filename.pls

So, any further solutions?

Is the 'streamtuner' needed for saving Shoutcast stations?

What is 'streamtuner'? How do you get it/use it?

streamtuner is a GUI audio stream directory browser and player you can see here (http://maemo.org/downloads/product/streamtuner/)

http://maemo.org/downloads/product/streamtuner/

dhausle
2007-06-11, 19:53
I'm a little worried about the two solutions suggested. Again, as a newbie, it seems the first offering simply gave me a shorthand of the URL I mentioned that might work. However, how do I (easily?) get other stations if copying from the 'tune in' button doesn't work?

More importantly, if installing 'streamtuner' is a better solution..... well, I downloaded and tried to install streamtuner but it said I couldn't install without mplayer. When I went looking for mplayer it didn't look like there was an obvious easy mplayer download for the 770.
Do I indeed need/want mplayer? If so, how do I get it (being the newbie that I am)?:confused:

smackpotato
2007-06-11, 20:41
you definitly want mplayer. toodle around msemo garage for the latest edition.
to get a short cut save the stream you are listenig to in the audio player then add it to the desktop by clicking track/add to favourites

fatherom
2007-06-13, 02:37

I just clicked on the link you posted and it played fine in media player...iobi radio or something like that.

By copying the link, you can also just make web bookmarks to stations.

stevenstromer
2007-07-18, 18:12
It took a bit, but I finally found how to get the Internet radio applet to do what it would seem it was meant to do. Hope this helps someone.

1. Surf to shoutcast.com, or another stream aggregator, on your 770.

2. At shoutcast.com, click 'Tune In' next to the station you want to stream. The 'Audio Player' application should automatically launch, and begin playing your station.

3. You'll note that most stations will display in Audio Player as multiple streams. (I believe each listing represents a different server, and the numbers indicated in parenthesis represent the number of active and total possible streams of each host.) Single click on any one server that is not maxed out to select it.

4. From the Audio Player menu, select Track > Add to favorites. This adds the stream (and not the .pls file that you may have previously tried to manually enter into Audio Player) to the list available from the Internet radio applet.

5. From the Audio Player menu, select Playlist > Open...

6. Open the file titled 'favourites' that the file manager automatically directs you to. (For those who prefer to work under the hood, the favorites list is actually stored in the file /home/user/MyDocs/.sounds, and can be edited there.)

7. Your favorites list will display in Audio Player.

8. Hold the stylus down on the name of the station you'd like to rename, and name it as you'd prefer.

Enjoy!

fender_fella
2007-07-19, 04:37
Hey stevenstromer,
That is great! Thank you for posting those instructions. Until they figure out how to stream XM radio, this is going to work great.
:D :D :D

stevenstromer
2007-07-21, 03:29
One last step I forgot...

9. From the Audio Player menu, select Playlist > Save... in order for your changes to be saved.

Sorry about that!