PDA

View Full Version : clicking on "memory" from within the control panel

GLeoni
2005-12-12, 13:10
When I click on "memory" within the control panel, a blank screen comes up. There is a "memory" header, but no information inside. My sytem kindof locks up at this time. (My memory has no yet been upgraded). Has this happened to anyone ?

henry
2005-12-12, 13:22
Yes, i had the same before. I think it's checking the size of all the files on the device (memory + mmc card). In my case, I tried rebooting, but it didn't help. Eventually, I let it run for a while and the result came up.

myet01
2005-12-12, 13:39
I have the same thing happen to me everytime I try to check memory and everytime I end up having to force my way out of the window. I have yet to see my memory status - am I not waiting long enough?

Tony

Nickster
2005-12-12, 13:40
It happened for me right after upgrading the software.

henry
2005-12-12, 13:44
I have the same thing happen to me everytime I try to check memory and everytime I end up having to force my way out of the window. I have yet to see my memory status - am I not waiting long enough?

Tony

Have you tried removing the mmc card?

myet01
2005-12-12, 14:03
No I haven't but I will try. However, the MMC card seems to work OK, what is your theory behind the suggestion?

henry
2005-12-12, 15:46
I think memory on both device and MMC card are checked. So removing the card might speed up things.

Jus
2005-12-12, 15:57
i had the same problem, but seems to be ok since i upgraded to 45-8.

myet01
2005-12-12, 16:47
Does anyone know what updates are in the -8 upgrade? I have the -7 and I don't see any need to upgrade at this time if it only includes this one fix to the memory display. Also, is there a good step-by-step instruction for upgrading firmware?

Tony

teemu
2005-12-12, 17:59
Does anyone know what updates are in the -8 upgrade? I have the -7 and I don't see any need to upgrade at this time if it only includes this one fix to the memory display. Also, is there a good step-by-step instruction for upgrading firmware?

Tony

I had the memory problem also and -8 version fixed it.

Upgrading is fairly simple. Just go to this page on nokia.com (http://www.europe.nokia.com/nokia/0,8764,79636,00.html) and type in your device's MAC address there. You can get it from a sticker under the battery. It's the one where it says WLAN. After this you get instructions on how to update and also the software for Windows XP if you are not using Linux. The version on that site is -7 so to get -8 version you should go here (http://maemo.org/downloads/nokia_770.php) . Again you will need the same MAC address before you can download the image.

myet01
2005-12-12, 18:04
Thanks for the reply. Since I have not gone far enough to enter my WLAN address in I have not seen the instructions. I wonder why they have not updated the version to -8 on the official Nokia site? Do you know what fixes are in -8?

Tony

putkowski
2005-12-15, 17:13
I had that issue and re-flashed (-7)

Memory displays correctly.

Now downloading (-8) from link below.

bru
2005-12-16, 09:43
HI , i had the same problem , i upgrade to 45/8 it works fine and after working a while , the problem occurs again , impossible cheking memory in control panel , the system is totally blocked,
Is it a bug ? any idea thanks

shanesd
2005-12-16, 17:59
I actually had the memory problem with -8. I reflashed with -8 again. Must be something else.

myet01
2005-12-16, 19:06
I had the memory problem also, but now that I have updated to -8 everything works great! It has been two days now.

Tony

putkowski
2005-12-17, 01:14
It doesn't look like a -7 to me. I've been trying various things like rebooting with/without the MMC.

If you hit the X to close the control panel (and you get a click,) the app will close without making you reboot...

fredly
2005-12-17, 05:14
I am experiencing the control panel/memory thing also. For what it's worth, there is an alternate way of getting memory information. Bring up the file manager. Hold the stylus down over one of the memory-oriented icons such as "nokia 770". This will bring up a menu box. Click on "details". This brings up a details box. The latter has a memory tab. Click on the tab, and you instantly get memory information.