PDA

View Full Version : Scrolling in the Browser

CrossBow
2005-12-13, 16:47
Some, including the arstechnica reviewer, have complained about the fact that the directional pad keys jump around from link to link instead of scrolling in the browser.

I too found this someplace between awkward and irratating. Fortunately, it is easy to fix.

Just edit /home/user/.opera/input.ini

Find the section called (Browser Wiget), and change "Navigate" to "Scroll" as desired.

Quit and restart the Browser.

I did them all, and now I must use the stylish to select links, but the browser scrolls more like I think it should.

If you would like, you could instead comment out the Zoom lines in the GTK Wiget section, and then add F7 and F8 (the +/-) buttons on the top to the Browser Wiget for scroll down and scroll up. (; is comment) This kinda makes up for the 770 lacking a scroll wheel. I scroll web pages more than I zoom in and out.

Reggie
2005-12-13, 17:05
Thanks for that Crossbow. This tip is worth adding in the Wiki. :)

Please add if you get the time.

http://www.internettablettalk.com/wiki

CrossBow
2005-12-13, 17:08
Actually, it's in there, just not real detailed.

http://www.internettablettalk.com/wiki/index.php/Internet:Opera_setting_files

I'll try to add some detail.

Thanks.

gultig
2005-12-13, 17:11
Actually, in the main wiki it's a bit more detailed.

http://maemo.org/maemowiki/ScrollInOperaWithThumb

Gonna be a lot of duplication between these two, and the need to search both sites when looking to resolve an issue. Not real intuitive if you ask me.

Penquin-007
2006-05-30, 23:38
Hello!
I´m a new Nokia 770 user and I was wondering...do I need to have a root access to be able to modify this file?

Thanks!

troubleshootr
2006-05-31, 01:06
Hello!
I´m a new Nokia 770 user and I was wondering...do I need to have a root access to be able to modify this file?

Thanks!

No, you do not need be root to modify this file. It located in the user home directory.

leo_dk
2006-05-31, 05:44
scrolling is supported as standard - just hold the direction keys, and it scrolls. Press once and it jumps to the next/prev. link.

Penquin-007
2006-06-01, 00:30
No, you do not need be root to modify this file. It located in the user home directory.

But what program can I use to find this file, open it and modify it?
I tried the file manager but I cant find the home directory.

thanks!!

bob
2006-06-01, 11:36
Because someone showed me. Just hold down the directional pad. Just hold it! Don't push it rapidly. There no mod necessary. :)

Viking
2006-06-01, 22:10
scrolling is supported as standard - just hold the direction keys, and it scrolls. Press once and it jumps to the next/prev. link.

When I first got my 770 (from a CompUSA) it did not have this behavior. Press and hold went from link to link. If there weren't any links then it would scroll down to the next one. But if the page was full of links it would jump from link to link to link as long as you held the button down.

I applied the root patch Kreature (I believe) provided and suddenly my 770 started working as you describe. Press & hold and it smoothly scrolls down.

So I think there are some differences in initial setups.

Viking

kutibah
2006-06-01, 23:03
Yes, but it is much quicker for those of us that would like to just press it a little for every inch. I don't know, I just don't find it useful to scroll by links ;)

P.S. Thanks for this excellent hack!

kutibah
2006-06-01, 23:05
Hello!

Thanks!
No, you don't. What you should do is get from the wiki apps at maemo.org, a program called leafpad. Then install it and open it, and in the open file directory, enter "/home/user/.opera/input.ini" and hit ok. Then you can edit it in there and save it when you're done.

P.S. Thanks for bringing this topic back to the front. I would have never seen it if you didn't reply! ;)