PDA

View Full Version : 770 and woot

Nrmf
2007-06-25, 14:23
ok i have been watching the nokia devices for a long time and was skeptical about buying based on price, but i jumped on one this morning from woot for(hope this was smart move) the 770(for the wife) and been crusing through the site looking at post and trying to figure out what should be done for a newbie is putting the OS 2007 HE easy enough to do for a newbie is it worth it, she will like to check web and emails and maybe some .doc files will the 770 be able to do this oh and she loves mp3's and divx movies so i gues i need a 2gb memory upgrade, i have read about the swap files and making the 770 a little more responsive is this easy to do. thank you guys for getting a newbies feet wet.

Nrmf

phi
2007-06-25, 15:29
770 hacker edition install should be pretty easy. check out the maemo wiki for more info

Posh1227
2007-06-25, 15:52
I just bought one off woot and decided to give this thing a go. I was thinking of using one of the gps applications and was wondering if I could use my usb gps receiver with this. I know i have to have a modified hub. I have a Holux GR-213 which does support linux. Does anybody know if this should work. There are Linux drivers available on Holux's website.

Thanks!

aleksandyr
2007-06-25, 17:52
Just about any GPS will work, especially if it works on Linux. That said, getting a GPS working via a modified USB hub isn't exactly for the faint of heart, and Bluetooth GPSes (which work quite easily) are relatively cheap --- I see them go for $60 or so quite often.

airhurt
2007-06-25, 19:24
Hey all... I have been a lurker on this site (and many other dedicated 770 sites) for almost a year now. Last week, I was about to break down and shell out the cash for a N800. But today's deal @ woot was the deal breaker. Instead, I "broke down" and bought myself not just 1, but 2 770s!!!

I called my wife and we both are looking forward to this!

Nrmf
2007-06-25, 19:49
i am looking forward to getting my hands on the wifes 770 but i haven't told her yet, i need to sell my pocket pc now to put out the flames. so if i understand correctly putting the OS 2007 HE on this 770 will make it nicer, i have seen Canola and like that will it run one 2007 HE is installed, also would like more info on GPS...blue tooth is fine any suggestions.