PDA

View Full Version : Dying old DeLL, should I go Nokia800 ???

heavymetal
2007-06-26, 22:31
Yo,

My 8 year old DeLL laptop PC, with MicroSoftXp, is dying.

Thank god for that!

But...this means I need to buy a new computer. Or do I ?

I work as a research scientist and just came back from a conference where I met a guy with a Nokia800. Also had a BlueTooth folding keyboard, and because the conference rooms where all Wireless Internet... WOW!

After getting a Nokia 101 lesson from this dude, I starting to think that I don't really need I computer, all I need it this Internet Tablet.

Now, I've never worked with Linux before, although I do love to learn about computers and programming. I do want to convert from MicroSoft to Linux, and have all the fancy computer tech at work, so I don't need it at home anymore.

I'm thinking in terms of saving costs; Nokia800 and BT keyboard combo is LESS than a new PC. And... I figure that Linux $ Bluetooth tech should be useful in the future (meaning the Tablet Applications should get better and better in time).

So... my question is:

Should I replace my old dying Dell computer by I NOKIA800?

tché
Heavy

earl00
2007-06-26, 23:02
no pda/internet tablet/umpc can replace a full blown laptop/desktop, they may come close but they won't last very long as far as future proof. Laptop/desktop you can still upgrade slightly. I'd say fork out $300 extra and buy a dell like this for $699. AMD Turion X2 Dual-core Processor, Windows VistaTM or Windows® XP, 1GB Memory, 80GB Hard Drive, CD Burner/DVD Reader Combo Drive.etc.

http://www.dell.com/content/default.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04#426862262246239513

Then buy a Nokia N800 if you still need a internet tablet.

geneven
2007-06-27, 00:26
I say buy the N800. I love my old Dell, but I rarely use it now. I use my desktop or my N800.

huck
2007-06-27, 02:20
N800...
if all you gotta do is write up some text...
chat a bit and send/receive e-mails...this is the ticket...

oh and multimedia viewing/listening as a bonus...fits in ANY of your pockets
takes a bit of getting used to looking at a screen so small and divinely clear but after that you'll be laughing at your collegues tote'n around their 7 lb laptops ;)

earl00
2007-06-27, 02:55
you guys are stupid. you are not thinking. You guys have a laptop or a desktop already with your N800 right? You guys are telling everyone on this forum that you'd rather have just the N800 than a laptop or desktop to write emails as your main device. Pathetic. I don't think anyone in this forum would want a N800 for their main email device - your eyes will hurt from squinting all day, day in and day out reading emails. Think before you say stupid sh*t. Get a laptop or desktop first if you don't have one. Then get a n800 or pda for when you need something small and quick to access on the run. Even if you just reading email, you'd probably like a bigger screen..., with a laptop, your still mobile(not everyone needs something to fit in their pocket), plus you'll have the option of playing dvds, burning content, along with surfing the web ten times faster and better ... if you don't having any shoulders to carry a laptop case get a N800, and if your some geek that needs every small gadget and toy to fit your pocket regardless if you need it or not, buy a n800. I have a n800, its great, but don't buy if you don't have a laptop or desktop already.

robbh66
2007-06-27, 03:22
A palm sized device will never replace a full size PC or laptop.

Having just an N800 sounds great and all, and these devices are great- but at ONLY what they are designed to specifically do. When the day comes that you need to do something outside of it's bounds, you will regret not having a full size PC. Additionally I would not use such a small device to learn a new platform on.

However, if you can survive with a laptop that is 8 years old- then maybe you specifically don't use your computer that much.

sdrman
2007-06-27, 04:55
I haven't regretted my decision to buy a 770 AND a desktop instead of a laptop. I've since upgraded to an n800. It works well for most mobile internet usage and is much smaller and more convenient than a laptop. It's also slower and harder to read. (800x480 is still low resolution compared to laptop/desktop screens.) However, the n800 is capable of taking notes for math class, which is not easily done on a laptop.

If you have a desktop you may do fine with an n800, but I wouldn't reccommend it for your only computer.