PDA

View Full Version : Any way to get the 770 to connect and use a treo 700wx?

Goldchamp
2007-06-29, 03:29
Ive searched and cannot find a definite answer. And if so directions if possible?

gog
2007-06-29, 16:34
I'm interested in this myself, I have a Sprint 700wx and I hope to get my 770 that I bought on Woot Tomorrow :)

Slakker
2007-06-29, 16:41
I believe the 650 works, so perhaps if you did a search and found the tips and tricks for that one it would work with the 700wx?

robbh66
2007-06-29, 19:05
You're looking in the wrong place. Try searching a Treo 700w specific forum for tethered DUN functionality. You might also want to include your carrier in the search.

It does work with a Sprint 700p, btw.

gog
2007-06-29, 19:51
I believe the 650 works, so perhaps if you did a search and found the tips and tricks for that one it would work with the 700wx?

The 650 and 700wx are two vastly diferent devices.

The 650 is Palm OS based and has a nice easy to use modem mode.

The 700wx is a Windows Mobile 5 device without built in DUN.

Now some Searching has turned up this:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=137462

This thread is hacking a 3rd party bluetooth stack onto the Treo 700wx to add support for sound, as a side-effect it seems to enable DUN atleast between my Mac and my Sprint 700wx.

Question is, Will it work with the 770. I hope to find this out when mine gets delivered.

robbh66
2007-06-29, 20:08
Question is, Will it work with the 770. I hope to find this out when mine gets delivered.

It should. Using it with a computer is much more complicated (in my experience at least) than using it with this device.

andyf
2007-07-01, 03:44
Now some Searching has turned up this:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=137462

The answer appears to be a qualified yes. I am a wooter (or is it wootee?). I have a treo 700w on Verizon. I got it running, but three times it has given me 'Internet connection failed' and I've had to reboot the phone to get reconnected. Here's what I did (from memory, so hopefully I won't forget anything):

1. back up treo.
2. load the new bluetooth client on the treo from the above link.
3. Control Panel > Phone > New. Found the treo. Entered the passcode. got 'no file sharing - only interenet access'-type message rather than 'no services, screw you'-type message.
4. Tools > Connection Manager. Click on the words 'Connection Manager' at the top for the menu (may seem obvious, but I didn't know where the menu was). Tools > Mobile operator setup wizard. Next. select your country. Here's the weird part - For Mobile Operator - no matter who your provider is select 'T-Mobile'. If you select sprint or verizon, the connection doesn't show up on most connection screens. Finish.
5. Control Panel > Connectivity > Connections. Select T-Mobile Internet and click edit. You can change the name if you so choose, leave Connection type on Packet Data. Next. Access-point name = nothing (actually nothing, not the word 'nothing'), dial-up number= #777 (this is for Verizon, I assume sprint is different). Username and password are both blank. Next > Finish.
6. You are done. Click your globe and connect.

As I said, if I get booted off, or disconnect and re-connect, I have to reboot the phone to get back on. Not real convenient. I will keep playing, hopefully someone can figure out the problem.

andyf
2007-07-03, 03:39
If anyone cares, I fixed the won't re-connect problem. I uninstalled the new bluetooth stack and bought pdanet. All the other instructions still apply. Works great.

prk60091
2007-07-03, 15:50
it connects w/a verizon 700p using the tethered hack as described in the treocentral 700p forum - i did update the 770 with the btstack from maemo before doing any pairing

Chinpokomon
2007-07-04, 23:34
For me PDANet and a 700w worked. The only difference was that I configured (and paired) my phone itself rather than the carrier. The username I used was ##########@vzw3g.com, where ########## is your 10 digit phone number... password is vzw. This is the same as can be found on the phone itself with enough digging.
I've used PDANet long before I tried to pair it with my Nokia, and I've had occasional lockups as mentioned. Reseting the phone fixes it. I expect it is a problem with the phone or PDANet and there may not be any way around it.