PDA

View Full Version : Phone functionality and rotate/screen lock -- Strangeness ensues...

VulcanRidr
2011-03-17, 18:53
Hey all,

I was wondering about the phone app, and how it interacts with the screen blank and rotation. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I wanted to post it hoping that a) I am doing something wrong, b) something is misconfigured or c) if there is truly a problem, maybe the debs can look at it with an eye toward a CSSU update at some point. (I just found out a bout CSSUs, and my hat's off to the devs!)

In any case, let me describe what just happened when I made a call.

I unlocked the screen and held the camera button halfway down until the phone app launched, it was in portrait mode;
Dialed my call, and put the phone to my ear. (I was not using bluetooth at the time);
When I pulled the phone down from my ear, it had blanked. It did not come back on until I tapped the display, then when it did, the phone app was in landscape.

The problem is that sometimes the phone will ring, be in portrait mode, then blank again (while still ringing), and only by tapping the screen am I able to get it to come on. Well, depending on how the orientation is, I have managed to reject calls.

Is there a way to make the phone override the screen lock setting? I'm actually not sure what I am trying to ask here, but *something* is wierd about the phone behavior, even if I can't put my finger on it.

Thanks,
--vr

jedi
2011-03-17, 19:03
Is this relevant? http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=968135&postcount=2077

VulcanRidr
2011-03-17, 19:15
Is this relevant? http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=968135&postcount=2077

Possibly, but I'm not sure. I am not using the CSSU yet. I only heard about it a few days ago, and haven't done my due diligence before installing it. So for the moment, I'm running vanilla PR1.3...

I checked the phone app, and it was set to automatic. I can't find the CSSU's orientation lock, I went through settings but came up empty. That said, that may be a function of the CSSU, and as stated, I'm not quite there yet.

--vr

jedi
2011-03-17, 19:18
Possibly, but I'm not sure. I am not using the CSSU yet. I only heard about it a few days ago, and haven't done my due diligence before installing it. So for the moment, I'm running vanilla PR1.3...

I checked the phone app, and it was set to automatic. I can't find the CSSU's orientation lock, I went through settings but came up empty. That said, that may be a function of the CSSU, and as stated, I'm not quite there yet.

--vr

So you haven't installed CSSU - that's why you won't be able to find the CSSU orientation lock.

Not sure why you're experiencing the problem then.

VulcanRidr
2011-03-17, 19:43
So you haven't installed CSSU - that's why you won't be able to find the CSSU orientation lock.

Not sure why you're experiencing the problem then.

Yeah, I had my firewall at home cough up a hairball, so I had to build another one, and that one only had two interfaces. I need to get a PCI-X network card for the new firewall to restore wireless. So the only wireless I have reliably is at work, and I haven't had time to get up to speed on it. I'll hit the wiki page tonight then probably install the CSSU tomorrow...

Thanks,
--vr

jedi
2011-03-17, 19:50
Yeah, I had my firewall at home cough up a hairball, so I had to build another one, and that one only had two interfaces. I need to get a PCI-X network card for the new firewall to restore wireless. So the only wireless I have reliably is at work, and I haven't had time to get up to speed on it. I'll hit the wiki page tonight then probably install the CSSU tomorrow...

Thanks,
--vr

Now I'm really confused. Your phone app has very little relevance to PCI-X network cards on your firewall.

:confused:

VulcanRidr
2011-03-17, 19:55
Now I'm really confused. Your phone app has very little relevance to PCI-X network cards on your firewall.

:confused:

Sorry for the confusion. The reason I haven't upgraded to the CSSU, aside from the fact that I only recently heard about it (on the Linux Action Show) is that I have no wireless at home, because the firewall does not have an interface for the wireless access point...

Anyway, I will probably be upgrading to CSSU tomorrow. Hopefully this will fix my problem.

Sorry for the confusion.