PDA

View Full Version : Nokia 770 in TRANSFORMERS!

airhurt
2007-07-03, 05:20
I just saw the early screening of the movie tonight... (great movie, I would highly recommend it)

Anyway, in a command center, where a bunch of NSA types and hacker/decrypted are working, one of them has a 770 on the wall. You see it for about 1 or 2 seconds, but it is clearly there!

:-) Short, but more publicity for our 770s!

Slakker
2007-07-03, 05:52
Christ...is Nokia paying to have these placed in movies? Seems silly for a "dead" product.
Maybe they're getting tossed in instead of the n800 because they look better (yeah...I said it. The n800 looks cheesy in comparison.)

Rocketman
2007-07-03, 06:08
This is the third major hollywood movie that the 770 has been in of late. I think this is product placement, pure and simple. Regardless of whether the ITT community considers the 770 "dead", I still see the 770 on store shelves and I have seen advertising for the 770 well after the official "we will no longer be supporting the 770" announcements. I am unsure of whether Nokia continues to manufacture the 770, but they seem to be working hard to "clear inventory."

Another thing to consider is that principle shooting for movies, particularly those which rely heavily on CGI (in lieu of plot, acting, script writing, etc.), often wraps up YEARS in advance of the film's release.

vims
2007-07-05, 06:57
since i only watched Die Hard 4 and there where only Nokia-phones in it.
I would guess that the Producers made some kind of contract with nokia about using their phones and as bonus the could also use the "techi" looking 770...

But it's just a guess...

Rocketman
2007-07-05, 07:59
There was also a Nokia phone very prominently featured in Transformers as well. It is during the scene where they are in Hoover Dam and need something electronic to demonstrate the transformitive effects of the All-spark. They even managed to work several lines of dialog about it when one of the characters comments about it being an advanced phone from Japan and is corrected that it is from finland. The movie was practically one big commercial. They were not subtle about the product placement in the least bit. I stopped counting after several dozen products.

Michael Bay murdered my childhood :(

airhurt
2007-07-05, 18:02
Personally - I thought it was a great movie!

frethop
2007-07-05, 18:47
Nokia was also big in the Fantastic 4 movie (Rise of the Silver Surfer). The 770 was Reed Richards' gadget-of-choice, working as a toy (what game was he playing?), as a notification device (the device acted like it received messages like a phone), and as a controller for the blast-the-Silver-Surfer configuration. In "Live Free or Die Hard", there were several Nokia devices -- all phones from what I could see -- with a Nokia 9300 Communicator being the featured device. I missed the 770 in the Transformers movie, but I caught several other Nokia devices (I believe the device in the All-spark energy sequence was a N93 or N93i).

Nokia must be blowing big bucks on product placement!

-F

weezedog
2007-07-05, 19:38
They are blowing all the money they got for selling 8,000 770's on WOOT.

andygates
2007-07-06, 14:23
It's that skunkworks geek credibility. :D

aswarp
2007-08-20, 06:52
I am sure the game Reed was playing must be NetHack ;)

wassabi
2007-08-20, 14:57
Could have been just placed there by the prop guy (it looks good next to everything else) or recommended by a consultant (this is the mobile device of choice).

iball
2007-08-20, 15:18
Could have been just placed there by the prop guy (it looks good next to everything else) or recommended by a consultant (this is the mobile device of choice).

Exactly. Usually when a script calls for some fancy-lad handheld electronic gadget, they turn to the prop master. Prop masters by the very definition of their jobs are usually jack-of-all-trades geeks since they usually wind up having to modify a prop to suit the director's vision. And since there are usually one or two hardcore geeks on the set at any given moment, if the word goes through the film crew on suggestions what to use for a electronic prop, those folks usually know what best to use.
The few times I've been on a set in my life I saw no end of portable gadgets being used by everyone. Seemed like everyone had a damn Crackberry or Treo with a ton of Nokia smartphones as well. "I'll get that right to you" usually meant "I'll email it to you from my laptop or cell phone".
For all the technology and terminology Hollywood has gotten wrong and flat-out corrupted in the past (Damn you "Hackers"!) in the real world they are pretty tech-savvy.
Even Bruce WIllis reads news and does video chats with fans on the internet. Using a Mac no less.