PDA

View Full Version : Another NEW 770 owner with questions

JeffB
2007-07-03, 14:56
Great machine but:

When my 770 is in its case (screen out) and I try to power it on, it doesn't want to turn on (sporadically). Does this have something to do with the little silver buttons on the inside of the case?

It seems to have an auto shutoff when its in the case (screen in). Is power totally off in this configuration? Or do I need to press power button for "permanent off"?

I can't seem to download Mapper software from this website. Can someone help me with downloading procedure?

Thanks, JeffB

Karel Jansens
2007-07-03, 16:13
Great machine but:

When my 770 is in its case (screen out) and I try to power it on, it doesn't want to turn on (sporadically). Does this have something to do with the little silver buttons on the inside of the case?

It seems to have an auto shutoff when its in the case (screen in). Is power totally off in this configuration? Or do I need to press power button for "permanent off"?

I can't seem to download Mapper software from this website. Can someone help me with downloading procedure?

Thanks, JeffB

The 770 has a magnetically activated switch hidden on the lower left front side. In the cover is a magnet that will trigger that switch if the cover is slid on "right way up" (covering the screen). The switch toggles "softpoweroff" mode, which is a really cool standby mode: screen is blacked and screen and all buttons are desactivated, save the on/off switch; certain programs (like the media player) are allowed to continue doing their thing.

So, no: your 770 isn't really "off", and yes: it will continue to suck some juice from its battery, but it should last for about a week in that suspended state.

There really is hardly ever a pressing need to completely shut down an Internet Tablet; it won't "windoze" itself into oblivion if left running for too long and it saves having to keep finding things to do while it boots.

JeffB
2007-07-03, 16:34
Thanks for the rapid response -- almost as fast as the 770 turns on in its "rest" mode.

Do you have any suggestions on downloading "Mapper". Says some packages are missing - unable to install.

JeffB

Karel Jansens
2007-07-03, 18:31
Thanks for the rapid response -- almost as fast as the 770 turns on in its "rest" mode.

Do you have any suggestions on downloading "Mapper". Says some packages are missing - unable to install.

JeffB

Sorry, I don't use Maemo Mapper. Don't get me wrong, it's a great program, it's just that electronic navigators and I don't get along. The last one I used on a hike tried to send me off a cliff. Honestly. I'm still suspecting TexRat had a hand in this.

Texrat
2007-07-03, 18:42
Sorry, I don't use Maemo Mapper. Don't get me wrong, it's a great program, it's just that electronic navigators and I don't get along. The last one I used on a hike tried to send me off a cliff. Honestly. I'm still suspecting TexRat had a hand in this.

There was supposed to have been a bridge there, I swear!

mardin
2007-07-03, 21:23

Try downloading the maemo-mapper_1.4.6-2_armel.deb from here:

https://garage.maemo.org/frs/?group_id=29&release_id=680

See this thread:

http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4691

Also, you may be able to add the repository, then install from the Application Manager.

manually add the mistral extras repository to the Application Manager:

Web address: http://repository.maemo.org/extras
Distribution: mistral
Components: free non-free

Karel Jansens
2007-07-03, 21:58
There was supposed to have been a bridge there, I swear!

That's what they all say. ;)

mardin
2007-07-04, 03:50
To add a new repository open the Application Manager, then click on the menu bar and select Add Repository (or Manage Respositories?), then just Add New and put in the following information:

manually add the mistral extras repository to the Application Manager:

Web address: http://repository.maemo.org/extras
Distribution: mistral
Components: free non-free

JeffB
2007-07-04, 22:51
Thanks Mardin,

I actually got "mapper" program to download, but it seemed to be by chance not knowledge about the OS in my 770. It's a great little machine. It downloaded a world map automatically. Can you insruct me on downloading regional and local maps? Do these maps have there own "repository"?

Thanks,
JB

mardin
2007-07-05, 00:45
Follow the instructions in one of the maemo mapper threads above. In your map download settings, you can check the "zoom levels" of maps you want to download. The easiest way to do it is to check "Auto Download", then use the stylus or D-pad to center in on the location you want. Then use the zoom rocker button to zoom in and higher detail maps will download automatically. If you scroll in any direction new maps will also download.

thaibill
2007-07-05, 01:40
Thanks Mardin,

I actually got "mapper" program to download, but it seemed to be by chance not knowledge about the OS in my 770. It's a great little machine. It downloaded a world map automatically. Can you insruct me on downloading regional and local maps? Do these maps have there own "repository"?

Thanks,
JB

Tap on MaemoMapper at the top of the screen. Then, Help. You have now entered one of the best help feature of 770 applications.

Bill

sondjata
2007-07-05, 04:04
Click the zoom buttons. Maps will magically appear ;-)