PDA

View Full Version : MMC boot succeeds, but continuous reboot...

Hecatomb
2007-07-06, 12:09
I've followed the instructions about 5 times now (!) and I keep getting the same problem, whether it be OS2006 or OS2007. I'll do a fresh flash to the 770, the copy will go fine, I can boot into the OS, but after about 30-90 seconds, the unit reboots.

I've seen where people have said that the reboot issue happens the first time they try it, and then to re-flash; but I've done that... I've got a Kingston 2GB MMCmobile Dual Voltage 1.8V/3.3V card, and I have it partitioned in half (which is overkill for the OS side, I know), and the only thing I haven't tried is only giving the OS side 512MB for example, and leaving the rest for the MMC.

Does anyone have any input? Maybe a problem with the MMC card?

robbh66
2007-07-06, 15:08
It would probably help a great deal to let people to know at what point does it reboot? Does it get through the blue bar? Does it get into the OS then reboot? etc.

I'd be as specific as possible.

weezedog
2007-07-06, 15:40
I have the 2gb kingston card partitioned in half and mmc boot OS2007HE and it runs like a champ, not sure why you are having a problem.

Jeffus
2007-07-06, 17:24
I was having a similar problem with the same setup. I didn't download the tar recommended in the wiki guide; I just used the tar on the system. Here is exactly what I did (http://www.examplified.net/guide/Nokia_770/Booting_from_MMC/), if you're interested, although it is very similar to the wiki's with a few minor changes.

Hecatomb
2007-07-06, 19:09
It would probably help a great deal to let people to know at what point does it reboot? Does it get through the blue bar? Does it get into the OS then reboot? etc.

I'd be as specific as possible.

Sorry... I always leave out some sort of detail :)

I can actually start to use programs, so I get all the way into the OS.

Thanks for the link Jeffus; I'll try that tonight.

Hecatomb
2007-07-07, 15:07
Thanks for that link Jeffus... not sure what all would be different, but that process worked perfectly!

Amazake
2007-07-10, 16:05
I was having a similar problem with the same setup. I didn't download the tar recommended in the wiki guide; I just used the tar on the system. Here is exactly what I did (http://www.examplified.net/guide/Nokia_770/Booting_from_MMC/), if you're interested, although it is very similar to the wiki's with a few minor changes.

I can't get this to work I have an error in the thrid step.

Hecatomb
2007-07-11, 01:58
I can't get this to work I have an error in the thrid step.

When you tried doing: "apt-get install e2fsprogs" ? What was the error?

Amazake
2007-07-11, 02:08
after the 2 Y/Nquestions, which I answered yes to I get a bunch of errors.

I will copy them when I try again tommorrow

kcallis
2007-07-31, 23:42
I have an issue that is somewhat similar. I boot off of MMC and the boot screen starts, and it looks like everything is good and suddenly, reboot and I am back at the boot menu.
This problem has plagued me many, many time... I am at a loss at to why one day it works perfectly and then another day it goes into a recycle loop???
Any help would be greatly appreciated... This is for the 770

lokesh007
2007-08-01, 20:49
Hi,

I am having the same problem. It will boot, show the screen and as soon as i am going to do something it will reboot. The behavior is always the same. I am trying to boot from 2GB kingston RS-MMC card. I have tried the instructions on both maemo wiki and Jeffus's link but the same problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.....

chyang
2007-08-01, 21:28
Have you removed the charger connector? I found it may cause problems in reboot.

lokesh007
2007-08-02, 13:18
Have you removed the charger connector? I found it may cause problems in reboot.

yes i have removed the charger. i will try once more to load the os onto the mmc card.

steckel
2007-08-02, 13:38
Be sure to use the stock kernel and not the MMC52Mhz ones. I have a 1GB mmc that is incompatible and had the very same problems.

Format the mmc-partition again, as the former crashs will have left it corrupted even though you can mount it just fine

Be sure to use GNU tar, not the busybox one -> it will not copy some important stuff.

If you cannot find GNU tar, first copy the jffs via rsync (this will copy everything but will corrupt opera fonts somehow, dont panic you'll fix this in the next step with builtin busybox tar ...you might have to install rsync before).
After that copy stuff from flash ontop of it (without reformating) with tar.
Sync the filesystems.
Unmount your MMC.
Check the filesystem for errors

rsync -avH /floppy/ /opt/
tar cf - -C /floppy . | tar xvf - -C /opt
sync
umount /opt <- Yes, the _N_ intentionally left out ... If you cannot unmount, cd to another directory ;-)
e2fsck /dev/mmcblk0p[WHATEVER PARTITION YOUR ROOTIMAGE IS ON]

It is good practice to BACKUP your newly created root-image from time to time, as a crash will corrupt ext2 with a very high probability -> Insert MMC into cardreader on linux desktop, mount boot partition and "tar" it away to a safe place.

lokesh007
2007-08-02, 14:38
okay, i have got the GNU tar from the internet. When i am trying to install it it's saying that it's incompatible.