PDA

View Full Version : Poi?

celesteh
2007-07-06, 16:38
I'm very unclear about POIs, alas.

I would like to be able to instruct maemo mapper, for example, to find all the campgrounds within 2 km of my planned route. Or all cafés, or whatever. Not near a particular spot, but rather near the whole line.

Is this possible? How would I go about doing it?

spiderx
2007-07-06, 17:34
Maemo Mapper does not find POIs. You create POIs. Tap and hold on any spot on the map and create a POI.

celesteh
2007-07-06, 18:11
Maybe I'm using the wrong terms? What is a POI?

Is there a way to find things along a route and store their location in the mapper?

Mara
2007-07-06, 18:23
Maybe I'm using the wrong terms? What is a POI?

Is there a way to find things along a route and store their location in the mapper?

Yes... here are step by step instructions: :p

1. Drive around until you find something interesting. (This is called "Point Of Interest".)
2. Stop. Identify the POI and import it into Mapper by pressing and holding stylus on the point where it is on the map. (Having GPS receiver should be great help on finding correct map location.) Once the pop up window come up tap Location and then Add POI...
3. Enter your desired data/text into the fields and click OK. Now you have entered one POI.
4. Go back to 1. Repeat... over and over... :rolleyes:

But seriously... that's how it works in the Mapper. There are no "official" automatic POI import feature, though I think rcull did write windows app that can import POIs from some other mapping software POI databases. You might try searching the forum...

celesteh
2007-07-06, 18:42
Yarg.

Is there a script lurking out there someplace that can suck such data down from Google Maps? Is this part of their API?

I could imagine doing a proximity search from every single waypoint, which is, i guess, what you would have to do. It could be a web/perl script that generated the right xml/whatever file format to download to the mapper.

Scripts to write instead of working #815487152

TA-t3
2007-07-09, 15:32
Yes... here are step by step instructions: :p

1. Drive around until you find something interesting. (This is called "Point Of Interest".)
2. Stop. Identify the POI and import it into Mapper by pressing and holding stylus on the point where it is on the map. (Having GPS receiver should be great help on finding correct map location.) Once the pop up window come up tap Location and then Add POI...
3. Enter your desired data/text into the fields and click OK. Now you have entered one POI.
4. Go back to 1. Repeat... over and over... :rolleyes:

But seriously... that's how it works in the Mapper. There are no "official" automatic POI import feature, though I think rcull did write windows app that can import POIs from some other mapping software POI databases. You might try searching the forum...
Strictly speaking what's described in 1-4 above is what's called a 'favourite' in e.g. TomTom Navigator (i.e. those places you find and add with a tap). POIs are usually lists or databases of info that comes either pre-loaded or can be installed from an external source.
What you want for finding restaurants, speed limit photo boxes, hospitals, airports etc. is one or more POI databases, so try to look for that app by rcull mentioned above. I remember it being discussed in this forum several times over the last few months.
But there's also the question of category- and icon support for POIs in Maemo Mapper, which I think it doesn't have.. without that it's difficult to really utilize the POIs. I don't know if this has already been discussed in the thread for MM 2.0

NewtJ
2007-09-07, 12:22
Hi,

How do I "go to (a POI)"?

NewtJ
2007-09-07, 12:25
Hi,

How do I "go to (POI)"?

I am using a Nokia 770, Maemo Mapper 1.4.7

bunanson
2007-09-11, 15:54
[QUOTE=Mara;57251]Yes... here are step by step instructions: :p

Umm, more correctly, yours should be called a "wheel by wheel" instructions, slightly more advance then step by step.:rolleyes:

bun

rcull
2007-09-11, 19:52
Just two links found in the same number if minutes.

http://www.tomtomfree.com/

http://www.maft.co.uk/garmin/download.htm

Both for the UK but I'm sure there must be equivalent sites for US etc.

Use:

http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5148&page=5

to import to MMs database. I've just added radius limiting and route limiting will be done before Friday. Route limiting will allow you to have a large database of Poi and just extract a smaller set for a given distance either side of a downloaded route.

TA-t3
Both categories and icons are fully supported by MM.

Rick