PDA

View Full Version : Successfully flashed ITOS2007HE with Fanoush's MMCPlus+Multiiblock writes

weezedog
2007-07-06, 17:38
Just any FYI, I flashed the ITOS2007HE with Fanoush's MMCPlus52Mhz + Multiblock writes experimental kernel mod and it seems to be running great. I couldn't find anywhere where someone has tried this, so I just wanted to state something for the record.

I used Fanoush's write speed test example command "sync ; date ; dd if=/dev/zero of=/path/to/mmc/test bs=8192 count=5000 ; sync ; date" and transferred 40MB in about 30-40 seconds, which was way better than the 4-5 minutes I got before flashing.

I'm not sure if it is my imagination, but graphically intense sites seem to load MUCH faster. The only thing I can think of is the much increased write (and read) speed of the cache/virtual ram?

I'm using the Kingston 2GB mmcmobile card and I used the kernel flasher directly in the N770 from x-term. I also boot from the MMC Card, so hopefully the whole system is getting a boost.

EDIT: Yes I can say for sure that by booting from the MMC card and running the read and write patch that the whole system is much "snappier" and websites load/navigate faster. Which is to be expected from such an increase in read/write speeds.

spiderx
2007-07-06, 18:45
I dont see where that's downloadable. Is there a fiasco image somewhere? Any link on how to do this? I have yet to purchase a large mmc card for my device, but if it helps with the speed, I just might.

weezedog
2007-07-06, 19:22
The kernel patch and flasher are available at Fanoush's site:
http://fanoush.wz.cz/maemo/

Its not a fiasco image, its basically a patch that you flash to the device using a linux flasher. You run the kernel flasher directly on the 770 within xterm, no need for a linux computer.

Ground Loop
2007-07-06, 19:22
That's awesome. These new MMCPlus cards are much faster than I gave them credit for.

Any chance you could post your installation notes or outline a walkthrough?

I have the standard 2006 -49 image booting from MMC now, but wasn't able to replace the kernel. When you boot from MMC, does it fetch the (modified) kernel from there, or do you have to keep that in the internal flash?

A FIASCO image would be sweet, or even just a raw dump of your 1GB partition, compressed.. dd'ing it onto an MMC card would be easy.

Ground Loop
2007-07-06, 19:30
I posted too quickly. :)

jackyyuen
2007-07-06, 20:30
Hi,

I have installed ITOS2007HE on my MMC2. follow the guide step by step and take me a hour. And now I want to know if this hack works for me?? If yes, can anyone of you guys upload a step by step guide??

Thanks

fpp
2007-07-06, 21:25
Yup, I'm interested too. I've been saving my 2GB MMC for the next OS2007HE update, but I'm tired of waiting, and seeing my OS2006 reboot itself every 24hrs...

weezedog
2007-07-06, 22:34
Ok here's a pretty much step by step guide of what I did. If you install unzip you could do this 100% on the nokia, but I didn't feel like installing unzip so I just used my Windows PC to unzip the Zimage and put in on the mmc card via usb.

Before doing this, make sure you have xterm and becomeroot installed. I'm pretty sure it's required to access the kernel.
This was all done while booted from the MMC, I did not boot to the internal flash.

1. On my PC,downloaded the Zimage from here (http://fanoush.wz.cz/maemo/zImage-su-18-200639-2gb-mmcplus52Mhz-multiblockw.zip).
2. Unzipped the file and copied it to the mmc card via usb. The file should be called zImage-su-18-200639-2gb-mmcplus52Mhz-multiblockw
3. Once on the mmc card, I copied the zImage from the mmc card to the Documents folder, just to be on the safe side I wanted the flasher and zimage in the same place. Now with ITOS2007 this has to be done from the terminal because filemanager can't manage files on the mmc, its a bug.
I think the command I used was:
"cp /media/mmc1/zImage-su-18-200639-2gb-mmcplus52Mhz-multiblockw /home/user/MyDocs/.documents/"

4.On the 770, download the following kernel flasher file from here (http://fanoush.wz.cz/maemo/kernel_flasher.tgz). Save it to your documents folder.
5. Open X-term and give your self root access by typing "sudo gainroot"
6. Change directories by typing "cd /home/user/MyDocs/.documents/"
7. Uncompress it using the following command "tar zxvf kernel_flasher.tgz"
8. Change directories by typing "cd kernel_flasher"
9. Flash image by typing "./kernel_flash /home/user/MyDocs/.documents/zImage-su-18-200639-2gb-mmcplus52Mhz-multiblockw"
10. Reboot by typing "shutdown -r now"

And of course all commands are typed without quotation marks. You could also shorten the zImage file name to make it easier on yourself, but I didn't.

jackyyuen
2007-07-07, 00:10
Thanks a lot weezedog

I will give it a try tonight.

Thanks.

BcNexus
2007-07-07, 05:39
Will the available space on the card become less and less due to blocks dying from too many writes? That's the trade-off for speed, right? I wonder when a new card would have to be purchased.

weezedog
2007-07-07, 15:14
yes, I also wonder what the longevity of the card will be, being that Im booting from the mmc card. But the way I see it, it should last just as long as the internal memory, since it is solid state as well! And the card is much easier to replace than the internal memory! (Until 2gb cards aren't available anymore)
Fast or slow shouldn't make a difference, as its the number of read/write cycles that counts. High speed will stress the card more though, so lf there is a manufacturing defect, it could break sooner in high speed.

mrp
2007-07-09, 05:30
I tried patching kernel in my 770. I have a 1 GB Kingston MMC. I had booted from there and thought that I would patch kernel in MMC. I booted and ended in situation where I could not boot from MMC/flash, so I figured that I had patched the internal flash kernel (HE 2007). I inserted my older sandisk 512 and was able to boot from flash and read from 512 MMC. I changed card to 1GB but was not able to read it, not even after reformatting to vfat. My question here is that should my newer 1GB card be able to work with patched kernel? My several months older 512 did? If it should work and I could take it back, how can I prove the seller that the card is faulty as it works well at lower frequencies?
Furthermore is it possible to patch the kernel located in MMC when I have booted from MMC, a modified script or something?
I made the initial error assuming I was patching mmc kernel not internal flash kernel so I did not use flasher with USB to test it first. Now I know I should have tested card compatibility first :(

P.S. I did not try the version with multiblock writes

fanoush
2007-07-09, 07:44
I tried patching kernel in my 770. I have a 1 GB Kingston MMC. I had booted from there and thought that I would patch kernel in MMC.

There is no kernel on MMC. There is only one kernel in flash (/dev/mtdblock2)

I booted and ended in situation where I could not boot from MMC/flash.

Any further info about this? Maybe you forgot to unpack kernel zip archive and flashed it as is? Newer kernel flasher (since last week) has some additional checks to prevent this. How did the boot look like? Did you see the boot menu or at least the 'press menu key to see the menu' message? In that case kernel should be OK and it should boot from flash at least.

I inserted my older sandisk 512 and was able to boot from flash and read from 512 MMC. I changed card to 1GB but was not able to read it, not even after reformatting to vfat. My question here is that should my newer 1GB card be able to work with patched kernel? My several months older 512 did? If it should work and I could take it back, how can I prove the seller that the card is faulty as it works well at lower frequencies?

Well it should work in theory but anything is possible. I have one card that works in everything except N800 so such things happen. Kingston mmcmobile 1 and 2GB cards were reported to work, though. Perhaps some fake one from eBay? Does you card has 2 rows on pins (i.e. is mmcmobile not regular rs-mmc)?

Furthermore is it possible to patch the kernel located in MMC when I have booted from MMC, a modified script or something?

There is no such kernel.

I made the initial error assuming I was patching mmc kernel not internal flash kernel so I did not use flasher with USB to test it first. Now I know I should have tested card compatibility first :(

Even if card is faulty, patched kernel should boot fine from flash. You can also try to remove the card when booting but it shouldn't matter.

mrp
2007-07-09, 09:51
Fanoush, thanks for your reply. Ok, I had mixed up things totally with kernel location. I had the impression that all was booted from mmc but that obviously is not possible:o
The patching itself was successful as I'm able to boot without mmc and my older 512 inserted. Kingston 1GB inserted while booting leads to total hang up, only showing maintenance icon, no boot options, nothing at all. Have to remove battery:confused:
I'll check number of pins later. Card is from local dealer and I'm going over to give a try with another card in 770.

fanoush
2007-07-09, 10:31
I had the impression that all was booted from mmc but that obviously is not possible:o

No, currently not. It would be useful for some special setups but it is quite tricky to do and so far there was no really good reason to justify the amount of work needed. It either needs messing with Nokia proprietary NOLO bootloader or load second linux kernel from the first one in flash. Both solutions are not trivial.

The patching itself was successful as I'm able to boot without mmc and my older 512 inserted. Kingston 1GB inserted while booting leads to total hang up, only showing maintenance icon, no boot options, nothing at all. Have to remove battery:confused:

Hmm, looks like kernel hangs even before running userspace stuff. That's odd. What happens if you boot from flash with patched kernel and then insert the 1GB card after system is up and running? Does it work (i.e card is accessible)? Are there some errors in kernel log when card is detected? Or when it is being read later (try to run 'find /media/mmc1' to scan card file structure)? To see kernel log you can run 'dmesg' in osso-xterm after you insert the card and close door. Or you can leave 'cat /proc/kmsg' running as root and experiment with the card.

mrp
2007-07-09, 11:02
Hmm, looks like kernel hangs even before running userspace stuff. That's odd. What happens if you boot from flash with patched kernel and then insert the 1GB card after system is up and running? Does it work (i.e card is accessible)? Are there some errors in kernel log when card is detected? Or when it is being read later (try to run 'find /media/mmc1' to scan card file structure)? To see kernel log you can run 'dmesg' in osso-xterm after you insert the card and close door. Or you can leave 'cat /proc/kmsg' running as root and experiment with the card.

I'll experiment later your ideas. Only thing I can say now that after booting up and changing using 1gb card, card is not accessible through file manager

P.S dealer traded my mmc to a 2GB (no 1GB in stock), so I'm going to try with that one again

mrp
2007-07-11, 06:04
I tried using the new 2gb gard with HE, patched with 52Mhz, no multiblock writing. I can not write on VFAT partition "Operation failed". Same happens with 512 and original 64MB card, can not write to vfat, can create a swap though. formatted vfat through USB with Gparted live-cd (not possible in 770, "card may be corrupted:confused". Patched again with multiblock writing. Same result.
Reflashed HE in Ubuntu. No writing to vfat with any of my three mmc cards, patched, no writing. flashed latest os2006, cards are functioning, patched with multiblock writin, all cards working. Works prett well, occassional reboots during application installations.
Now, please, tell me what the hell happened with HE and vfat? Could this be hardware oriented? Any way to diagnose test card reader?

fanoush
2007-07-11, 08:19
I can not write on VFAT partition "Operation failed".
Over USB or directly in the device? Over USB there is known problem http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=40839#post40839

fanoush
2007-07-11, 08:28
Could this be hardware oriented? Any way to diagnose test card reader? Watch kernel log on device like already explained. If you see i/o errors something is wrong with the hardware and you better use original Nokia kernel and see if it goes away. There might be real reasons Nokia runs MMC at 12MHz. Some cards (or N770 devices?) may not like running at higher frequencies. But if it works in IT2006 and not 2007 it is either that USB thing or maybe metalayer crawler stresses the card after device boots so IT2007 triggers some HW problem but IT2006 not?

mrp
2007-07-11, 08:56
wtinig not possible irectly in the device, using USB I recall it was possible.

As I told I have latest os2006 now but plan to put that in mmc and flash with HE.
Most of your meta crawler thoughts were hebrean to me ;)

mrp
2007-07-11, 10:00
one thing more. How was it possible to lose vfat writing with fresh HE? I had used HE for several months without any problems before trying to patch kernel

KaNawogirusa
2007-07-22, 04:53
I flashed my OS2006 v.49 with Fanoush's MMCPlus thanks to you, thank you very much and thank you Fanoush... now I want to intall the modules.... but I don't know how... any help would be apreciated :)

ArnimS
2007-07-22, 15:19
Note: the kernel_flasher must be run from the current directory containing the kernel moduless

Thansk Fanoush! worked!

KaNawogirusa
2007-07-23, 20:58
Note: the kernel_flasher must be run from the current directory containing the kernel moduless

Thansk Fanoush! worked!

ArnimS thanks for your answer.. but I still don't get it.. the kernel modules have to be compressed or not? If uncompressed what should the name of the directories contaigning them? Lib?
Thanks again!

fanoush
2007-07-23, 21:28
now I want to intall the modules.... but I don't know how... any help would be apreciated :)
Well, if you don't know what to do with them, you probably don't need them at all.
They can be put anywhere you wish, why do you want to install them?

As for kernel flasher - unless there is some bug, it can be run from any directory with approx. 2MB free space in filesystem (for temporary kernel image with NOLO header) so I don't understand comment made by ArnimS too :-)

KaNawogirusa
2007-07-24, 03:37
Well, if you don't know what to do with them, you probably don't need them at all.
They can be put anywhere you wish, why do you want to install them?

As for kernel flasher - unless there is some bug, it can be run from any directory with approx. 2MB free space in filesystem (for temporary kernel image with NOLO header) so I don't understand comment made by ArnimS too :-)

I thought that they were meant to be installed after flashing the nokia with the zImage-su-18-200625-2gb-mmcplus52Mhz... but now I guess they are not necessary, right?... thanks fanoush for letting me know.

fanoush
2007-07-24, 05:26
I thought that they were meant to be installed after flashing the nokia with the zImage-su-18-200625-2gb-mmcplus52Mhz... but now I guess they are not necessary, right?.
For recent 2006 firmware or HE the ..-200639-.. one is better.

Required modules are already in the system (/mnt/initfs/lib/modules) and don't need updating. I just provided additional ones not enabled by Nokia in their kernel build.

lokams
2007-07-24, 20:31
Could you please give us a step by step procedure to install 2007 HE on MMC also?? I was trying to do this since 3 days.. i could able to install 2006 on MMC successfully but not HE.

fanoush
2007-07-25, 08:13
Could you please give us a step by step procedure to install 2007 HE on MMC also??
No, but after you succeed you may write such guide for others :-) It should be same as for 2006.

Your reboot issue reported in yet another thread (you should definitely check this (http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php)) looks like using wrong tar for the copy, make sure you use GNU tar. If it still reboot then I don't know.

KaNawogirusa
2007-07-26, 07:39
For recent 2006 firmware or HE the ..-200639-.. one is better.

Required modules are already in the system (/mnt/initfs/lib/modules) and don't need updating. I just provided additional ones not enabled by Nokia in their kernel build.

Yep that's the one I intalled... it's just that's seems that I'm getting dumber with the pass of the years :( ;)
Thank you very much for your support!

yoshi
2007-08-09, 17:18
I have a kingston 2 GB card but I don't know if it's fake or not.. But the card seem very slow .. Is there anyway to test it and see how fast it is .. is there a program..

Is just all card just slow or will Fanoush patch help with the speed problem ?

fanoush
2007-08-10, 07:21
I have a kingston 2 GB card but I don't know if it's fake or not.. But the card seem very slow .. Is there anyway to test it and see how fast it is .. is there a program..

search this forum for 'dd if=/dev/mmcblk0'

Is just all card just slow or will Fanoush patch help with the speed problem ?
See http://fanoush.wz.cz/maemo/#mmcplus

All cards are slow with original Nokia kernel. Speed should be ~1.4MB/s when reading and 300KB/s when writing. With high speed kernel with multiblock writing enabled it should be ~5MB/s when reading and 3-4MB/s when writing.

muki
2007-09-27, 10:36
Sorry for the dumb question but will the fanoush patch work with SU-18_2007HACKER_2.2006.47-17_PR_F5_MR0_ARM.bin and for that matter the latest 2007HE? I have some new 2G Datawrite cards that state "highest read/write speeds up to 30MB/sec" so these should easily work eh? Also do these patches in any way effect accessing the internal flash on the 770's?

I suggest you first boot it via 'flasher-2.0 -l -b -k zImage-su-18-200625-2gb-mmcplus52Mhz' and test all your cards before flashing permanently.

What does the above do?

Probably more dumb questions to come.

muki
2007-09-27, 10:38
BTW these Datawrite cards have 13 pins and I saw somewhere that this means you should get even more speed. Can the 770 take advantage of this?

Kaervak
2008-01-09, 03:38
Sorry for bringing this thread back from the dead, but I had to thank fanoush. I flashed over to the 48mhz high speed SDHC enabled kernel on my 770 with the latest OS2007HE and it is wickedly fast. I did the speed test fron the first post and 40MB written in 24 seconds on my Kingston 2GB MMCM. Way way way cool. Tons of thanks fanoush, great work. :)