PDA

View Full Version : Stuck pixels aren't a fault?

joemadeus
2005-12-16, 16:59
I was just reading the 770 manual and came across this:

"Note: A small number of missing, discolored, or bright dots may
appear on the screen. This is a characteristic of this type of
display. Some displays may contain pixels or dots that remain on
or off. This is normal, not a fault."

If I understand this correctly, they're talking about stuck pixels and I've always thought of stuck pixels as a problem. Am I missing something, here?

How many people have units with stuck pixels?

-j

putkowski
2005-12-16, 17:41
I saw that too. I guess it's just their way of apologising for their lack of quality control...

P

joemadeus
2005-12-16, 18:06
That's my worry. I'm thinking about buying a 770, but I'd hate to see that awesome screen marred by bad pixels. Maybe I'll go down to CompUSA and try out the units before I buy instead of buying directly from Nokia.

-j

Hedgecore
2005-12-16, 18:53
Keep in mind how small the pixels actually are... 320,000 of them crammed into a 2.7" diagnal...

putkowski
2005-12-16, 19:39
That's my worry. I'm thinking about buying a 770, but I'd hate to see that awesome screen marred by bad pixels. Maybe I'll go down to CompUSA and try out the units before I buy instead of buying directly from Nokia.

-j

30 day money back guarantee from Nokia. . .

bhima
2005-12-16, 20:49
Stuck pixels have been an issue on active matrix screens from day one.

An active matrix screen has a transistor for every single sub-pixel - so for the 770, 800x480x3 == 1,152,000, or over a million.

Like all semiconductors, transistors sometimes are defective. I remember with early AM PowerBooks, Apple had some standards about how many were tolerable. The number, the color, and their location on the screen were relevant.

A single bright green dot in the middle of your screen would probably qualify for a replacement. An area that never became yellow 1cm from the edge wouldn't be enough, on its own.

I remember reading that some of the early production lines had a _two_thirds_ rejection rate - even with moderately lax standards.

Do I want any dead pixels? Hell no. I haven't spotted one on my screen, so I consider myself reasonably lucky. But, Nokia's policy is in line with the norm in the industry. If 20% more displays were rejected, then they'd all cost more.

HankScorpio
2005-12-17, 08:04
I have one green pixel stuck on. It is only mildly annoying. After the stock catches up, I will try and RMA.

joemadeus
2005-12-17, 13:19
Stuck pixels have been an issue on active matrix screens from day one.

I remember reading that some of the early production lines had a _two_thirds_ rejection rate - even with moderately lax standards.

Do I want any dead pixels? Hell no. I haven't spotted one on my screen, so I consider myself reasonably lucky. But, Nokia's policy is in line with the norm in the industry. If 20% more displays were rejected, then they'd all cost more.

I know where you're coming from, and I agree, but saying that '...Some displays may contain pixels or dots that remain on or off. This is normal, not a fault." is outright false (it's the 'not a fault' part.) I think I'm reacting more to Nokia's spin on this than the fact that these screens have a defect rate.

Still, does anyone know what defect rate for these screens? Any interest in a poll? (if this site supports it - I'm new here)

-j

andymulhearn
2005-12-17, 15:14
30 day money back guarantee from Nokia. . .

Probably doesn't cover pixels, unless there are too many of them or in the wrong place.

My iBook has one in the middle, about 2cm up from the bezel - above the iBook logo. To be honest, I never see it unless there's a plain blue background on the screen. With a browser window open,or anything else that's a white background, I don't even know it's there.

Lord Bodak
2005-12-17, 16:18
I don't see why the 770 would be any different from any other LCD device. Laptops, LCD monitors, LCD TVs... all manufacturers have a certain number of stuck pixels that they consider "acceptable."

choover
2005-12-17, 19:49
exactally, a few dead pix isnt the end of the world

i have zero, and of the other 770's of seen none have had any dead ones that we noticed

coldfused
2005-12-17, 20:30
Mine has one stuck pixel. It is in the upper right of the display about an eighth of an inch from the bezel. I didn't notice it until a few days after I got my unit. The only times I really see it are when I come to itT with the browser in full screen mode or when I play the chess application.

Normally, this type of thing would drive me crazy. I've even return LCDs because of this type of defect. For some reason it doesn't bother me on the 770. Its probably because of the location and the fact that the pixels are so small. I've had friends that couldn't see it at all...even when I pointed it out to them.