PDA

View Full Version : FM status of N9

optimaxxx
2011-06-22, 11:56
So, this is the tipping point for me.

I will not buy an N9 if it doesn't have FMTX, now it isn't listed on the official page, so i'd appreciate if we could come up with a decisive answer in this nice and simple thread which shall ONLY discuss FMRXTX.

For:
is the fact it also wasn't publicised for N900, and the proposed chip physically has what it takes, just no software for it.

Against:
Nokia info says it doesn't.

Rauha
2011-06-22, 12:02
What is a FMRXTX?

Aranel
2011-06-22, 12:05
FM Receiver & Transmitter

edit: I won! :D

Kozzi
2011-06-22, 12:05
What is a FMRXTX?

receiver and transmitter

mece
2011-06-22, 12:06
What is a FMRXTX?

is that sarcasm? My sarcasmadar is off.

FM reciever / transmitter module

Rauha
2011-06-22, 12:08
is that sarcasm? My sarcasmadar is off.

No it wasn't sarcasm. FMRXTX is a collection of consonants that I had never seen before. Also, thanks for answers. Learn something new everyday.

Dragoss91
2011-06-22, 12:44
The N9 doesn't have FM reciever ? I know it doesn't have transmitter .

Jigzy
2011-06-22, 13:13
Why nokia Why? when other smartphone makers are adding things why are you taking things away why?

Kozzi
2011-06-22, 13:27
is there a FCC document of N9 or any detailed information of the SoC on N9 ? I listen to Fm radio everyday I go to work so not having fm-rx would suck alot.

DeeGee
2011-06-22, 13:45
That leaked packet list had drivers for TI WL1271 chip (http://focus.ti.com/general/docs/wtbu/wtbuproductcontent.tsp?templateId=6123&navigationId=12762&contentId=29993&DCMP=WTBU&HQS=ProductBulletin+OT+wilink_6) that does wlan, bluetooth and fm transmit/receive... But that doesn't really make it set in stone.

rash.m2k
2011-06-22, 13:55
No it wasn't sarcasm. FMRXTX is a collection of consonants that I had never seen before. Also, thanks for answers. Learn something new everyday.

FM - stands for Frequency Modulation as in FM Radio etc. everyone knows that.

But RX/TX - means receive/transmit a signal you will see electronics people use this all the time especially in networking.

So thats where the full acronym comes from FM RX TX.

anapospastos
2011-06-22, 14:32
Did you read this (http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=1035564&postcount=484) post? It says that fm tx/rx exists in hardware side but not on software.

IsaacDFP
2011-06-22, 14:49
I also would really like an answer to this one. I barely ever listen to radio, but the transmitter is really important to me. For a short car ride, nothing beats quickly beaming your music thry the car's stereo system. plus, it's amazing how many people still do not know what an FMRXTX is, and how they are always soo impressed when they hear my music on their radio lol, their faces is priceless to me! i need fmtx!! lol.
(As a side note, I really don't care if it doesn't come out of the box. As long as the necessary hardware is confirmed to be there. I am a heavy MMS user and I still got the N900 firsct chance I got. I trust this community :)

billranton
2011-06-22, 14:59
Bluetooth audio replaces that functionality for me. I always found FMTX a bit hit and miss. Too susceptible to interference.

zymo
2011-06-22, 16:18
it would be nice to have an official statement whether the missing of FMRXTX is just a „lack“ of software or really hardware. anyway, does nokia even read this posts?

Kozzi
2011-06-22, 18:19
alright more fuel into the fire

http://irclogs.meego.com/meetbot/meego-meeting/2011/meego-meeting.2011-06-21-10.59.log.html

11:12:45 <alterego> Does it have fmtx?
11:13:02 <msugano> graphics is the top priority yes.
11:13:06 <jukkaeklund> msugano, thanks for the update on that
11:13:17 <msugano> alterego: i was only following the driver name.
11:13:23 <alterego> msugano: okay, :)
11:13:26 <msugano> the name implies it should have the rx or tx :)
11:13:37 <msugano> (the driver name)
11:13:43 <jukkaeklund> so might be that it can be enabled in meego..
11:13:44 <alterego> Hah :)
11:14:18 <jukkaeklund> on the N9, we could some fun stuff with enabling USB host mode to have keyboard etc.
11:14:22 <Sage> msugano: what about the battery management?
11:14:35 <alterego> jukkaeklund: it has hostmode?!
11:14:47 <jukkaeklund> alterego, not right now but I think the HW has
11:14:48 <msugano> battery management was not on my list. any concerns?
11:14:53 <alterego> I know it's pretty much the same SoC (updated obviously)
11:14:55 <leinir> alterego: the word is likely "not officially" ;)

ajalkane
2011-06-23, 12:47
From MeeGo forum by qqil:

"Someone asked about FM radio. Hartti already answered but let me confirm that from a pure hardware description point of view there is both FM RX and TX inside. As far as I know nobody has tried to reach them, so I don't know how that road would be from an R&D experimentation point of view."

zymo
2011-06-23, 12:56
From MeeGo forum by qqil:

"Someone asked about FM radio. Hartti already answered but let me confirm that from a pure hardware description point of view there is both FM RX and TX inside. As far as I know nobody has tried to reach them, so I don't know how that road would be from an R&D experimentation point of view."

okay now we just need some „encouraged“ developers to get that feature, anybody around :D

rash.m2k
2011-06-23, 14:20
Thank god it has a FMRXTX, was about to have a heart attack!

Thanks for clearing it up guys!

captainofiron
2011-12-31, 19:54
I read this in the Fact vs Fiction

"Can the N9 receive/transmit FM radio?
There is no mention of FM capability on the official N9 spec. The FM status of N9 thread has not yet reached a firm conclusion.
The N9 contains hardware, which is physically capable of both receiving and transmitting FM (TI WL1271?); however, it is not known what OS/driver/software work would be required to make use of this.
It seems that there's no aerial connected to the FM transmitter.
"

Has this been cleared up?

I use the FM Transmitter all the time in my car since it doesnt have an input.

Thanks!

qorax
2011-12-31, 22:11
Why would I need excess baggages that'd drain my bty soon[er]?

I'd rather let my phone do telephony, feeds, some browsing [for more i've the iPad/MBAir2] and a bit of gaming for my kids .

All of which the N9 does pretty well, blazingly fast & elegantly. Thus, giving me a day's juice... w/out eyeing for the nearest 110V.

-For the FMTxRx I've a standalone one plugged in the car cig-soc.
-For the GPS I've a Garmin Nuvi in the car.
-For a million apps I'd pass... the Ovi-store has enough of it already for my N9.

My N9 is gorgeous, colorful , feels great [just right for a cellphone], refuses to scratch [yes, my kids tried & failed], my wife loves it [that means - Happy Holidays always!], the neighbors envy it [makes her feel more better - Happy Holidays & beyond for me!] and the 'timed' lock-screen [wow!].

Show me another with this form factor [GN, SGSII, iPhew] and then I'd think about FMTxRx or whatever. Today my N9 is all that I need.

Qorax
[I]Ps.: My collection is complete - Magenta [for my beloved], Cyan [for my eldest] & Black [proudly mine] - [B]and we r lovin it[B]!

jalyst
2012-01-01, 07:14
I read this in the Fact vs Fiction

Has this been cleared up?

I use the FM Transmitter all the time in my car since it doesnt have an input.

Thanks!

Not sure why you're digging-up this ancient thread...
Read this thread from here to the end, & you'll get the full picture
http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?t=3902&page=3

klinglerware
2012-01-01, 15:54

Isn't this exactly what we want posters doing? I.e, it's better to dig up an old thread that's on-topic, rather than start a new thread?

chenliangchen
2012-01-01, 16:19
Isn't this exactly what we want posters doing? I.e, it's better to dig up an old thread that's on-topic, rather than start a new thread?

Exactly. Otherwise if you not "dig" (by his meaning) and start another thread then he will say the concept is repeated and refer to a huge thread and ask for merge lol...

jalyst
2012-01-01, 17:35

W/some more effort WRT searching/reading, there would've been no need to bump & ask the Qn.
One would've found the thread I linked to & after reading the 1st few posts, it would be clear that it's the one to read.
It clears up everything folks needs to know.....

But if one has attempted to search/read extensively, & still not found the answer/s they're looking for.
Then yes, bumping an old thread with the same focus, is better than starting a new one.

captainofiron
2012-01-03, 14:44
Read this thread from here to the end, & you'll get the full picture
http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?t=3902&page=3

thanks for that, but I searched and found a few threads with this specific thread being referred to in the others as the "main" thread about FM

jalyst
2012-01-03, 15:44
thanks for that, but I searched and found a few threads with this specific thread being referred to in the others as the "main" thread about FM

No prob. read the one I linked to, ideally from pg3.
But if you don't have the time just read the latter half.
It's been getting more interesting, slowly but surely.

captainofiron
2012-01-03, 19:04
No prob. read the one I linked to, ideally from pg3.
But if you don't have the time just read the latter half.
It's been getting more interesting, slowly but surely.

I read those, but it seems from what I read that nobody has really addressed the fmtx

I saw that people said it doesnt have an antenna. Is this confirmed?

Im asking because I use the transmitter is a major selling point for me.

jalyst
2012-01-03, 19:41
I read those, but it seems from what I read that nobody has really addressed the fmtx
I saw that people said it doesnt have an antenna. Is this confirmed?
Im asking because I use the transmitter is a major selling point for me.

They're not really sure when it comes to the N9 (as confirmed in that thread).
javispedro and others really need to own a N9 to be certain.
He has confirmed the N950 can't do FM-TX...
But that means little for the N9, as they both have slightly diff. radio chips/configs.
If someone buys or lends him a N9 or he buys one, then we'll move ahead again.
ATM focus is on getting FMRX/RDS working well, instead of using javispedro's hack.
Nokia kindly decided to assign 1 dev (limited time) towards it.

captainofiron
2012-01-03, 21:02
They're not really sure when it comes to the N9 (as confirmed in that thread).
javispedro and others really need to own a N9 to be certain.
He has confirmed the N950 can't do FM-TX...
But that means little for the N9, as they both have slightly diff. radio chips/configs.
If someone buys or lends him a N9 or he buys one, then we'll move ahead again.
ATM focus is on getting FMRX/RDS working well, instead of using javispedro's hack.
Nokia kindly decided to assign 1 dev (limited time) towards it.

thats surprising, I honestly was half expecting Nokia to cut and run completely.

well hopefully javispedro has a breakthrough and or buys an N9

jalyst
2012-01-04, 10:11
Yeah only towards FMRX/RDS, I don't like our chances of him turning his attention to FMTX.
We'll probably have to rely on a hack done by javispedro for FMTX (if it's even possible).