PDA

View Full Version : Sony Dash HID C10

Den in USA
2011-06-22, 20:44
I have had a Nokia N800 NIT for years. Recently my daughter flaunted her Android phone in front of me, asking if I can view NetFlix movies. I went on eBay and purchased a Sony Dash, basically a high end alarm clock for $90. It has a seven inch screen and has WiFi, and of course, streams NetFlix movies. I continue to use my N800 for 99% of everything I need to do. My "alarm clock" not only has a bigger screen than my daughter's phone, but also never runs low on battery (because it has no battery, ac only). Also, it has bigger and better sound, HA!

klinglerware
2011-06-22, 21:01
I was looking at these, but the lack of a battery backup makes it a no go as an alarm clock.

But, I have to say that I've been intrigued by it. It's sort of like my old n800, a "jack of all trades and master of none" device whose concept just seems to befuddle most people. However, there is a rumor that Sony will refresh the line soon, including a model with a battery backup. (Could be why we are seeing the Dash at really deep discounts lately.)

tirtawn
2011-06-23, 15:40
My "alarm clock" not only has a bigger screen than my daughter's phone, but also never runs low on battery (because it has no battery, ac only). Also, it has bigger and better sound, HA!

I am using it as a monitor for the baby (most of the time). put a wireless webcam inside the bedroom, and use the DASh to monitor it from the kitchen so u know when she is awake. At the same time you will get the weather forecast :)

U got a cheap monitoring system and yeah can play amazon videos, netflix , youtube, pandora.

Den in USA
2011-06-24, 13:32
I am using it as a monitor for the baby (most of the time). put a wireless webcam inside the bedroom, and use the DASh to monitor it from the kitchen so u know when she is awake. At the same time you will get the weather forecast :)

U got a cheap monitoring system and yeah can play amazon videos, netflix , youtube, pandora.

Can you tell me the "app" you installed on the Dash to do that?

railroadmaster
2011-06-25, 05:47
There is also the Archos home connect which looks like an interesting alternative
http://www.archos.com/products/ah/archos_35_hc/index.html?country=us&lang=en

klinglerware
2011-06-29, 20:59
So, with Amazon/W00t pushing the price down to $80 (US), I decided to get the Dash.

As you probably know, the Dash utilizes Sony's interpretation of the Chumby OS (which is itself Linux-based, sort-of FOSS). I looked around, and Chumby themselves actually has a hardware offering (the Chumby8) that is a little nicer spec'd than the Dash. But, what Sony can give you that you can't get with pure Chumby is Netflix streaming.

I suppose this again implies that sometimes if you want to produce a product with consumer appeal, you do need corporate resources and cooperation (the likes of which Sony can leverage, while Chumby perhaps can't). The corollary being that if you want access to shiny goodies like Netflix, outlook integration, flash, et al., you can't subsist on a FOSS ecosystem alone.

Den in USA
2011-11-15, 20:10
I was looking at these, but the lack of a battery backup makes it a no go as an alarm clock.

But, I have to say that I've been intrigued by it. It's sort of like my old n800, a "jack of all trades and master of none" device whose concept just seems to befuddle most people. However, there is a rumor that Sony will refresh the line soon, including a model with a battery backup. (Could be why we are seeing the Dash at really deep discounts lately.)

I noticed that the model with internal rechargable battery is out. It is called the HID-B70-B7. Unfortunately, you can only watch NetFlix for about an hour before the battery dies.

cddiede
2011-11-15, 20:33
The DASH actually runs the same application feature set as some the Sony online connected HDTVs. That's where they get their streaming clients such as netflix, Amazon, etc....

In fact, when you go to activate the netflix viewer, it's recognized as a Sony HDTV (Bravia, I think...).

The Chumby component is similar to the Chumby OS, but it's hard coded to link to the Sony Dash web repository so it can't be modified to run apps from chumby.com. It runs in parallel to the video streaming services.

Den in USA
2011-11-15, 20:43
I had recently looked at all the various HDTV's at Best Buy seeing if you can buy an inexpensive TV that has built-in WiFi and can view NetFlix movies. None found. My Sony is still the cheapest way to view NetFlix in any room of my home.

cddiede
2011-11-16, 14:06
I had recently looked at all the various HDTV's at Best Buy seeing if you can buy an inexpensive TV that has built-in WiFi and can view NetFlix movies. None found. My Sony is still the cheapest way to view NetFlix in any room of my home.

Here ya go:
http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-E322VL-32-Inch-Internet-Application/dp/B003VQQVD0

I've used the 42 inch 3D version of this TV and the internet streaming apps were really great. It even had a QWERTY keyboard on the underside of the TV remote!

mail4gus
2011-11-30, 22:45
I got the same TV from Amazon!.... AWESOME TV... 120Hz...

Talking about the DASH, somebody said that it can be used as a Baby Monitor. How it works? Anyone have more info? app used? webcam used?... please i'm very interested. I have an Insignia Internet Viewer (the Best Buy version of the Dash!) and I like it a lot but i want to get the Sony Dash.

mail4gus
2011-11-30, 22:49

Can you give us more Info how to do it?... I want to get one of this and i found interesting the baby monitor function that you mention.