PDA

View Full Version : Is this true that the n9 will have flash with fennec ?

law138
2011-06-29, 02:02
I'll respond to some of the queries.

N9 has exchange support. We use it internally a lot, so it's in stellar shape.

Qt is easy to develop on. You use QML to do the UIs, which is like turbocharged HTML. Then the additional logic you either code in c++ or python. Really easy. SDK has a one click packaging tool. Development easyness is definitely in the same ballpark as android.

Qt will live on at nokia also in other areas than just Symbian. I think officially the next billion strategy is the one we refer to. More details come later. And I won't go into those.

DLNA stack is there on the device by default, but not in use. We didn't have the time to make sure it works just perfectly, so we'll either roll the UIs out later or 3rd parties can enable it very easily. N9 doesn't have HDMI.

Package management is still debian based in N9.

Fash is supported in fennec, but not in the default browser. We wanted to keep a clear differentiation between "desktop" -alike browsing and mobile browsing. Default browser focuses entirely in one handed use and relaxed browsing, where as fennec just does it all and acts like a desktop browser (tabs and all)

Landscape home is not available as default. You will need to install a theme that pretty much just inherits the default theme and overrides one property. I'm sure that will be available on sales start.

konttoristhoughts.blogspot.com/2011/06/respect.html?showComment=1309244161165#c8807273851 680035486

keflex
2011-06-29, 07:24
If Konttori said it, I'd be inclined to believe it. It's definitely great news, even if I don't agree with the overarching ideology.

DeeGee
2011-06-29, 09:50
I just wonder if Flash supported means Fennec can use Flash if you get the binary from somewhere or if there will be new flash on the device/with Fennec?
In the worst scenario I'd imagine we would need to copy the old flash binary from N900 (it should be compatible with at least the hardware).
Can someone ask Konttori, I don't have a blogspot account.

erendorn
2011-06-29, 11:30
Fremantle is softfp and Harmattan hardfp if I'm not mistaken, so they might not be any binary compatibility. But I'm certainly not an expert.

Master of Gizmo
2011-06-29, 12:04
Fremantle is softfp and Harmattan hardfp if I'm not mistaken, so they might not be any binary compatibility. But I'm certainly not an expert.

Still you are correct on that. In theory, programs not using any floats (or to be precise: not passing floats through function calls) may run on the oppsite platform. But you'd likely get other lib dependency problems as well.

cddiede
2011-06-29, 12:27
Wow! I think I just changed my mind about getting an N9! Having a real desktop browsing option on it like I've got on the N900 suddenly makes the N9 a realistic upgrade!

(now to get a keyboard and desktop widgets....)

ammyt
2011-06-29, 13:05
I don't give a $#IT about flash, the N9 just looks great either way. If I were to use flash, it will just be on when I'm watching youtube videos. I even try to avoid that since the N900 boils while buffering so, is it really that important to have?
No offense - but people look pathetic in that "Adobe Flash Player 10: When will the update arrive? Is it coming at all?" thread.

erendorn
2011-06-29, 14:05
I don't give a $#IT about flash, the N9 just looks great either way. If I were to use flash, it will just be on when I'm watching youtube videos. I even try to avoid that since the N900 boils while buffering so, is it really that important to have?
No offense - but people look pathetic in that "Adobe Flash Player 10: When will the update arrive? Is it coming at all?" thread.

Music streaming services, corporate web sites in full flash, any vid not on youtube. How can you judge what people want based on your sole use cases?
And what advantages do we get by NOT having flash player?

ammyt
2011-06-29, 14:14
Music streaming services, corporate web sites in full flash, any vid not on youtube. How can you judge what people want based on your sole use cases?
And what advantages do we get by NOT having flash player?

Mind-easiness.
What advantages do you get by whining about having flash player?

erendorn
2011-06-29, 14:41
Mind-easiness.

Bliss through restricted use? There's a perfect device/brand for you, but you're in the wrong forum.

What advantages do you get by whining about having flash player?
Aside from having a strictly positive correlation with actually getting flash at some point, people also get satisfaction from whining. Just today I've seen some guy whine about people whining about flash. But he should have done it in a "I neither like flash nor people that like flash" thread just to be less off-topic.

I'll stop answering after that as it's a pretty useless discussion.

jolo
2011-07-01, 00:00
I am working on both Fennec and Flash. We are having discussions with Mozilla and with Adobe. Technically, there is no problem here - it is more business issues. For Flash, it has to undergo certification via Adobe. Let's see if we can get it.

Garcel
2011-07-01, 01:34
Hmm... Flash 10 or not. As long as its a mobile browser I'm not satisfied with it. I much preferred MicroB with Flash 9. Just sayin :)

jalyst
2011-07-13, 10:00
I am working on both Fennec and Flash. We are having discussions with Mozilla and with Adobe. Technically, there is no problem here - it is more business issues. For Flash, it has to undergo certification via Adobe. Let's see if we can get it.

I don't get how Mozilla's able to make this possible through discussions with Adobe?
*edit*
Just realised you may in-fact be speaking on behalf of Nokia, not Mozilla, my bad.

It comes down to Nokia being ready to fork-out $ for a binary for Harmattan.
Nothing to do with "sweet nothings" Mozilla may whisper in Adobe's ear.

Can you elaborate on how you plan to pull-this-off please? :confused:

rentze
2011-07-13, 10:09
Can you elaborate on how you plan to pull-this-off please? :confused:

I would be satisfied with a simple yes/no answer...

jalyst
2011-07-13, 10:14
Yeah... of course ;)
But if it's a "no" I'd want an accompanying explanation as-to-why, to help satiate my rage :D

jolo
2011-07-13, 15:11
N9 browser is a fast, mobile browser. Fennec is a full featured browser. We are attempting to get the Adobe Flash app certified for use with Fennec. This would allow users to install Fennec and have flash for it. People who don't want/don't care about Flash can use the N9 browser. We have it working already, but just need to get it certified.

zymo
2011-07-13, 15:28
that is a perfect solution! let the customer/user decide whether he needs adobe flash or not. Lets hope you really get it certified!

EDIT:

We have it working already, but just need to get it certified.

is it near final?

erendorn
2011-07-13, 16:04
N9 browser is a fast, mobile browser. Fennec is a full featured browser. We are attempting to get the Adobe Flash app certified for use with Fennec. This would allow users to install Fennec and have flash for it. People who don't want/don't care about Flash can use the N9 browser. We have it working already, but just need to get it certified.

Any way we can help (by keeping silent or else :) )?

jalyst
2011-07-13, 16:06
One of the (former) devs was suggesting that fennec + signed/certified binary could be purchasable by end-user from nokia store.
This would avoid greater expenditure on Nokia's part, but still give end-users the option for recent version/s of flash.

Of course the ideal solution is for Nokia to broker something directly for all Harmattan users.
But this might also be another way to go.....

droitwichgas
2011-07-17, 14:52

Anybody else feeling a sense of deja vu with Flash 10 & the N900 i.e. Abode had it working but Nokia would never actually pay for the rights to allow it's use on the phone?

Unless Nokia relent and it appears on the N9 on day one of its release I sense it will never appear.

jalyst
2011-07-23, 15:21
Hi jolo,

Is this a definite yes or no answer yet? Do you know for sure that negotiations are still progressing?
Many users are asserting it's too late (if an arrangement hasn't already been sorted) for the binary to be included.

Thank-you.

christexaport
2011-07-23, 19:15
If Nokia is so stupid to not realize the N900's biggest selling point was its Flash Mozilla browser, that users in the MeeGo target market want desktop browsing and not mobile, and how Fennec's UI and performance was weak against MicroB, I hold little hope for Nokia's future.

The N9 should've shipped with the best web browser in the game, but that's still the N900's territory. Flash is a necessity, or I'll just move from all these ******* mobile OSes and go back to Windows until Windows8 materializes. Nokia put a damper on mobile Linux for no reason.

jolo
2011-07-24, 02:56
There is no definite answer yet for Firefox on the N9. We are still discussing how to do it. I am positive, but nothing definitive yet.

jalyst
2011-07-24, 05:49
There is no definite answer yet for Firefox on the N9. We are still discussing how to do it. I am positive, but nothing definitive yet.

What so there's some doubt over whether Fennec will be included/tested/optimised... let alone flash? :(

jalyst
2011-07-24, 06:01
If Nokia is so stupid to not realize the N900's biggest selling point was its Flash Mozilla browser, that users in the MeeGo target market want desktop browsing and not mobile, and how Fennec's UI and performance was weak against MicroB, I hold little hope for Nokia's future.

The N9 should've shipped with the best web browser in the game, but that's still the N900's territory. Flash is a necessity, or I'll just move from all these ******* mobile OSes and go back to Windows until Windows8 materializes. Nokia put a damper on mobile Linux for no reason.

What's wrong with the N9's webkit2 based browser* apart from no flash?
It 'wipes the floor' with other mobile browsers in every metric I've seen it tested against.

Also I've seen nothing to suggest MicroB is "still" superior to Fennec.
There's been 'a lot of water under the bridge' since MicroB's release with the N800.
I doubt it's evolved internally @Nokia at the same rate mainstream Fennec has over the past few years.
Hence why they're going with it, albeit with some "tweaks" perhaps :)

Plus MicroB used the GTK-based Hildon API/widgets (not XUL like most FF brethren)
But Harmattan is primarily Qt-based nowadays...
Then again they could've always done a re-write using Qt.
But I guess that's what they've done in the form of their webkit2 based browser.

I think we'll find the Fennec they "may" include, will have some twks to make more part of the overall UI.
Not to mention flash.....

*Is there an official name for it yet? Make it something cute/cool! :)

jalyst
2011-08-02, 20:02
Hi jolo,

Is this a definite yes or no answer yet? Do you know for sure that negotiations are still progressing?
Many users are asserting it's too late (if an arrangement hasn't already been sorted) for the binary to be included.

Thank-you.

Jolo any updates? :confused:
Thank-you!

What so there's some doubt over whether Fennec will be included/tested/optimised... let alone flash? :(

jolo
2011-08-02, 20:10
The application development is moving forward in a good way, business discussions are also positive. I don't have a planned date, as we need to get the implementations certified, but I am feeling positive about this.

don_falcone
2011-08-02, 21:33
Fennec is ok but slow as molasses too at the same time. If i would find a way to make sure that i could avoid being served the mobile versions of sites _every_ time, i would 'get rid' of MicroB and solely use Opera instead. Even the Opera file dialog(s) and VKB are way better IMHO.

jolo
2011-08-02, 21:42
WRT to Fennec, what are you using? We don't have an approved or even unapproved version of Fennec for the N9, so no matter what, you will have bad experience, if you are talking about the N9.

jalyst
2011-08-03, 05:58
Fennec is ok but slow as molasses too at the same time. If i would find a way to make sure that i could avoid being served the mobile versions of sites _every_ time, i would 'get rid' of MicroB and solely use Opera instead. Even the Opera file dialog(s) and VKB are way better IMHO.

We have little idea what a Fennec tweaked for Harmattan will be like.*
Plus it's mainly there as a general purpose/kitchen-sink browser.
The integrated Webkit2 based one will be the primary....

*i.e. there may be be some quite significant tweaks.

jalyst
2011-08-03, 06:15
The application development is moving forward in a good way, business discussions are also positive. I don't have a planned date, as we need to get the implementations certified, but I am feeling positive about this.

Sigh, still so vague that it could easily go either way...
I wish you'd be more specific, but I kinda appreciate why you can't.
The minute you can be specific, please share final developments.

Thank for at least responding!
All the best.

ossipena
2011-08-03, 06:22
Fennec is ok but slow as molasses too at the same time.

Have you tried Fennec @N9? if not, how can you know it is slow?

shadowjk
2011-08-03, 12:01
Well, you can compare opera, microb and fennec on N900, and assume that it's as resource hungry on most all platforms, and conclude that opera would still be twice as lean and fast on harmattan, and that you'd get the same ratios of open sites before things slow to a crawl.

Of course. microb has no equivalent on harmattan.

DeeGee
2011-08-03, 21:55
I'm pretty sure most of the slowness of Fennec on N900 is because of the humongous ammounts of memory it needs -> swapping to flash. Hopefully that won't be a problem on N9 with the 1GB of memory...

sjgadsby
2011-08-04, 01:05
I'm pretty sure most of the slowness of Fennec on N900 is because of the humongous ammounts of memory it needs -> swapping to flash. Hopefully that won't be a problem on N9 with the 1GB of memory...

I find the unofficial build of Fennec for the N950 quite usable in terms of speed, even with Adblock Plus installed and active. That plugin strangled nearly all the life out of MicroB.

And no, there's no Flash with this version.

ossipena
2011-08-04, 04:10
Well, you can compare ... and assume ...

of course you can assume, but... assumptions are assumptions.

aironeous
2011-08-05, 14:58
It's going to get really annoying having to switch over to fennec every time you hit a web page with flash. A simple way to quickly "open in fennec" should be implemented, maybe long press on the address bar.

zymo
2011-08-05, 15:43
It's going to get really annoying having to switch over to fennec every time you hit a web page with flash. A simple way to quickly "open in fennec" should be implemented, maybe long press on the address bar.

only if fennec ever gonna get flash :rolleyes:

jalyst
2011-08-24, 07:49

jolo... can we PLEASE get come clarity on this now!?
It's dragging on way too long....

The N9 may be buy-able in as early as 3wks in some countries.

If we still don't have a yes or no answer at this late stage.
How can we possibly er on the side of positive thinking.

Cassio
2011-09-07, 09:21
*bump*

I'd like to hear some feedback on this matter too.

momcilo
2011-09-07, 09:23
Here is an update: the flash 11 will work for about a year. :mad:

Then everybody will join a new thread: "When can we expect flash 12 update? :eek:

jalyst
2011-09-08, 06:25
Jolo, please tell us what's happening.
<SNIP>

prankster
2011-09-08, 09:55
fennec does not have the official version of flash player at all ,not yet .ARM versions of flash player are not freely available cuz of licensing issues .meego UI is very much limited than maemo5 but the current rage from devs is too much for meego and ye nokia support still with no luck .ciao

jalyst
2011-09-09, 05:34
fennec does not have the official version of flash player at all ,not yet .ARM versions of flash player are not freely available cuz of licensing issues

Um yes we know that, that is why we're waiting for jolo to give us an update.

.meego UI is very much limited than maemo5 but the current rage from devs is too much for meego and ye nokia support still with no luck .ciao

Huh?
It's debatable whether it's limited, work-arounds can/will be found to loosen things.
Besides, that has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.

jalyst
2011-09-12, 15:51
C'mon Jolo, please tell us what's happening!!

Don't ignore us, that's not cool, esp. when 8wks ago you were sure things are looking +ve.
Don't drag this out anymore, if it's fallen-through just tell us!

Thank-you.

olympus
2011-09-12, 16:15
lol.. just give it up i guess..

jalyst
2011-09-13, 07:07
Nope, not until they have the decency to give us an update.
Doesn't have to be the update we want to hear...
But the polite thing to do is to close-it-out properly, not leave us hanging.

rentze
2011-09-13, 07:09
You'll get the update when the phone is out...

jalyst
2011-09-13, 07:24
Not good enough, jolo was going to let us know before then.

In all fairness....
We should have had the "update" when it was revealed in June.

By that stage we should have at least had official word that:

"Yes it's coming, either for launch or the 1st major update"
OR
"We've no plans to offer flash 10.x/11.x for the N9 launch, or with future updates"

jalyst
2011-09-30, 02:34
The application development is moving forward in a good way, business discussions are also positive.
I don't have a planned date, as we need to get the implementations certified, but I am feeling positive about this.

BigBadGuber!
2011-09-30, 03:00

when u buy it and it doesnt have it and u rant, the community will say that u didnt do enough research. go figure

jalyst
2011-09-30, 06:47
I just think it's pretty uncool to ignore people...
Esp. since it was made out that attempts were being made to deliver something.
The very least one could do, is inform us that it hasn't been successful.
Seems like even that's asking for too much...

Markosib
2011-09-30, 07:02
perhaps no news is good news!

jalyst
2011-10-01, 06:49
Nope, silence is usually non-delivery... :/
In my experience over the years with Maemo/MeeGo, & soon Meltemi/Tizen.
Very uncool to not at least update people with the the sad news.

erendorn
2011-10-01, 10:11
have you contacted him directly? He may just not follow those threads regularly/at all.

misterc
2011-10-01, 11:04
from his profile... last logged in about 2 months ago...
unless you have some external e-mail addy...

misterc
2011-10-01, 11:42
unless you have some external e-mail addy...

found another profile, as NOKIA developer (http://www.developer.nokia.com/Community/Discussion/member.php?46188-jolo)...
last log-in on 18th of june....
but s/he never seemed very active there (1 post in 8 yrs)
stopped working @ NOKIA maybe?

jalyst
2011-10-02, 15:00
have you contacted him directly? He may just not follow those threads regularly/at all.

If I had a means of doing so, I would.

unless you have some external e-mail addy??

Alas no... :(

found another profile, as NOKIA developer (http://www.developer.nokia.com/Community/Discussion/member.php?46188-jolo)...
last log-in on 18th of june....
but s/he never seemed very active there (1 post in 8 yrs)
stopped working @ NOKIA maybe?

2mth since last post here, & once in "8yrs" @developer.nokia.com?
Geez... You're right, probably moved on... :(
Would've been nice for whomever took over, to let us know what the hell's happening.

Frappacino
2011-10-02, 15:07
if you have no news, it means nothing is being delivered duh - how can it be otherwise ?

jalyst
2011-10-03, 07:19
Well... that's what I've kinda been asserting, duh.
Doesn't change the fact that it's not very cool, not updating everyone.

erendorn
2011-10-03, 07:35
But I really think that no one knows that you are waiting for updates, nothing else.

jalyst
2011-10-04, 04:04
you're probably right, but I've no idea how to get in touch.
So I guess we just let this thread die....

gerbick
2011-10-04, 04:10
Flash just more than likely wasn't meant to be. But as of right now, it's not on WP7 either despite me anticipating it was going to be there as well.

Blame whomever you wish - most folks will say Adobe, I blame the people that don't license it.

jalyst
2011-10-05, 09:43
Yeah everyone but Nokia seems to be supporting Flash 11 this time round.
iOS, BB, Android.... sigh :(

Nokia prolly will end-up supporting flash for WP, just to make N9 look even more crap

anonymous
2011-10-05, 10:53
If you guys are still looking for him, I think I found him. @j_loughney (http://twitter.com/#!/j_loughney)

jalyst
2011-10-20, 09:19
Thanks, I've tried tweeting him...
If I get a response (I doubt it) I'll update this thread.

jalyst
2011-10-20, 14:55
Well, this might be positive news, or it might mean nothing
https://twitter.com/#!/j_loughney/status/127026492466139136
But in the context of what Konttori's been saying, it does sound 'mildly' positive.

jalyst
2011-10-20, 20:25
Well, this might be positive news, or it might mean nothing
https://twitter.com/#!/j_loughney/status/127026492466139136
But in the context of what Konttori's been saying, it does sound 'mildly' positive.

And so the non-answers, & cryptic response continue, sigh :(
https://twitter.com/#!/j_loughney/status/127040636921716736

Creamy Goodness
2011-10-20, 22:44
that sounds pretty good honestly.
"working on it" > "no comment"

erendorn
2011-10-20, 22:58
What I like with Nokia and the Maemo line, is that they have two ways of tackling issues:

They don't talk about it, and they don't do it
They don't talk about it, but amazingly it still gets done

Although to be fair, the same versions with "they talk about it" also exist.

So let's see how this goes, it's not lost :)

jalyst
2011-10-21, 16:12
that sounds pretty good honestly.
"working on it" > "no comment"

Yeah & then later Konttori graduated from "no comment" to "maybe flash".
(something along those lines, same blog-post, in the comments IIRC)

Sigh... the painful mystery will have remain for a bit longer!!
Hopefully we'll definitely know in a month...
I'm assuming it's definitely not coming at this point, it's easier that way.

https://twitter.com/#!/JediTWang/status/127124607739248640

rafpac
2011-10-22, 03:53

Jolo I could Kiss you.

rafpac
2011-10-22, 05:25
I just took the time to read the whole thread. congrats jalyst you have successfuly scared off jolo from maemo.org. pretty soon jolo wont even bother with twitter. so Stop harrassing jolo. Now boys and girls i guess, we strike the heart of this problem......adobe. I say lets open up a thread massive on their forums with the cast and crew of maemo and meego forums ofcourse and force them to get nokia to accept flash. in all seriousness maybe pushinh adobe might bring us some luck as well. i like jalysts idea of paying for flash by the end user. so lets tell adobe so. they might like the idea. who is with me????

Creamy Goodness
2011-10-22, 05:55
http://forums.adobe.com/message/3914096#3914096

jalyst
2011-10-22, 08:26
I just took the time to read the whole thread. congrats jalyst you have successfuly scared off jolo from maemo.org. pretty soon jolo wont even bother with twitter. so Stop harrassing jolo.

Get a life, I've done nothing of the sort. If you'd read all the posts properly.
You'd know he's very rarely visited this forum in the past, nor in more recent times.
In fact, for the past 11-weeks he's not logged-in at all, & hence not even seen the posts I've made.
I've been one of a handful of users that's proactively tried to determine the status of this issue.

I don't deny I've become somewhat whiny at times, but I'm far from alone there.
In many other threads the issue is "incessantly" raised...
Which is why I've tried to find-out more about it's status in this more appropriate thread.
And besides, I fail to see the logic that my *****ing has "scared him away".
It matters little as far as an end results goes....

Now boys and girls i guess, we strike the heart of this problem......adobe. I say lets open up a thread massive on their forums with the cast and crew of maemo and meego forums ofcourse and force them to get nokia to accept flash. in all seriousness maybe pushinh adobe might bring us some luck as well. i like jalysts idea of paying for flash by the end user. so lets tell adobe so. they might like the idea. who is with me????

It's got nothing to do with Adobe....
And everything to do with Nokia management deciding whether they want to fork-out the $$.
I doubt approaching Adobe directly & suggesting they remodel their licensing just for maemo/meego users will work.
It can't hurt to "have a crack" I guess, but 1st we should let Nokia<->Adobe discussions take their course.
It's clear something is still ongoing, hopefully we'll now sooner rather than later if it was successful or not!

jalyst
2011-10-22, 08:27
http://forums.adobe.com/message/3914096#3914096

Yeah we know about that, it predates some of the more recent responses from Konttori & Jolo.

rafpac
2011-10-22, 19:18
Get a life, I've done nothing of the sort. If you'd read all the posts properly.
You'd know he's very rarely visited this forum in the past, nor in more recent times.
In fact, for the past 11-weeks he's not logged-in at all, & hence not even seen the posts I've made.
I've been one of a handful of users that's proactively tried to determine the status of this issue.

I don't deny I've become somewhat whiny at times, but I'm far from alone there.
In many other threads the issue is "incessantly" raised...
Which is why I've tried to find-out more about it's status in this more appropriate thread.
And besides, I fail to see the logic that my *****ing has "scared him away".
It matters little as far as an end results goes....

It's got nothing to do with Adobe....
And everything to do with Nokia management deciding whether they want to fork-out the $$.
I doubt approaching Adobe directly & suggesting they remodel their licensing just for maemo/meego users will work.
It can't hurt to "have a crack" I guess, but 1st we should let Nokia<->Adobe discussions take their course.
It's clear something is still ongoing, hopefully we'll now sooner rather than later if it was successful or not!

Sorry Jalyst. I was not really accusing you dude. I was just kidding...my failed attempt at humor it seems. I was just playing on the fact that Jolo disappeared and you were also asking him questions so it must have been that he was hiding from you. Sorry
no offence intended.

jalyst
2011-10-22, 19:32
Oh I see, LOL, well no "biggy" then! ;)

rafpac
2011-10-22, 19:40
Just created a thread...people start pouring your hearts out and Adobe might listen if Nokia wont:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/916652

Viva La N9

shallimus
2011-10-22, 20:02
Get a life
Argh! jalyst, nooooooo! :( It's just rafpac's [slightly wonky] attempt at humour. Don't wear your heart on your sleeve!

Jolo I could Kiss you.
If anything is likely to scare jolo away from TMO, this is surely it? ;)

aironeous
2011-10-22, 22:58
You'll get the update when the phone is out...
I have the phone in my hand. I'm clearly a swipoholic now swiping other peoples phones, swiping my monitor, swiping my mirror in the bathroom, WTF am I doing?
Don't mean to take a SWIPE at ya Nokia but WHERE THE **** IS THE FLASH ON THIS PHONE?

anonymous
2011-10-23, 01:45
Sorry Jalyst. I was not really accusing you dude. I was just kidding...my failed attempt at humor it seems. I was just playing on the fact that Jolo disappeared and you were also asking him questions so it must have been that he was hiding from you. Sorry
no offence intended.

It wasn't just him that misread it. I'm the one that used my cyber-stalker skills to find Jolo. When I clicked on this thread, your reply was the first one I saw. My first thought was "'MY GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE?".

I was already thinking about how to apologize to Jolo before I scrolled down and read the rest of the replies. Crisis averted. :)

gerbick
2011-10-23, 02:13
If people are going to get upset over questions, it's not really worth it then, now is it?

Asking questions should never run off anybody. Now... whining/minging about stuff should be avoided. But questions leading to running folks away?

Wow.

Anyway... let's just hope it all happens. Or if not, then enjoy what's there.

oweng
2011-10-23, 15:27
So, to be or not to be...?

gerbick
2011-10-23, 15:47
So, to be or not to be...?

It won't happen natively. Perhaps if they steal the Android lib then it will happen.

oweng
2011-10-23, 15:50
It won't happen natively. Perhaps if they steal the Android lib then it will happen.

Why Nokia is this so difficult?

I love the N9's design and UI, I'd love to use the browser, so I don't need "an app for that", and I don't want to be forced to use mobile variants of websites so that I can view video etc...

gerbick
2011-10-23, 16:09
Why Nokia is this so difficult?

I love the N9's design and UI, I'd love to use the browser, so I don't need "an app for that", and I don't want to be forced to use mobile variants of websites so that I can view video etc...

They're going the Steve Jobs way of no Flash perhaps?

noetus
2011-10-24, 11:51
Has anyone tried using the 10.1 flash (http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=1024280&postcount=1982) for Fennec in the N9? No hardware acceleration, but the faster processor of the N9 might make it usable? I use it in my N900 (don't mind the jerky video when most of all I want to hear stuff that no longer plays with the native flash even using Tweak Flash). Shouldn't it work in the N9 with its similar processor?

gerbick
2011-10-24, 11:59
Why stop with 10.1 when 11.0 is available?

noetus
2011-10-24, 12:16
Why stop with 10.1 when 11.0 is available?

There's a version of 11 that works on the N900?

jalyst
2011-10-24, 15:42
Has anyone tried using the 10.1 flash (http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=1024280&postcount=1982) for Fennec in the N9? No hardware acceleration, but the faster processor of the N9 might make it usable? I use it in my N900 (don't mind the jerky video when most of all I want to hear stuff that no longer plays with the native flash even using Tweak Flash). Shouldn't it work in the N9 with its similar processor?

It won't work....
That's the whole point of the license Nokia needs to get from Adobe.
The NPAPI binary will be signed & only for use on Fremantle (maemo5).

I forget exactly how it works now (I once knew, damn my mem), so it may or may not work in Aegis open-mode.
But Aegis open-mode is still a long-way-off being ready for the avg. joe.
But as gerbick hinted we should be focusing our energies on a Nokia delivered/sanctioned 11x.
A 10x "hack" is simply not acceptable...

*UPDATE* 01/11/11
Forget I posted anything, I believe I've misunderstood what jolo was saying.
I removed my latest post as I don't want to get hopes up unnecessarily.
It's just too early to say anything conclusively, it could still go either way.

OVK
2011-11-09, 13:00
Seems like there will not be mobile Flash for any devices in the future: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/perlow/exclusive-adobe-ceases-development-on-mobile-browser-flash-refocuses-efforts-on-html5/19226?tag=mantle_skin;content

So I would assume that this means that there will not be Flash for N9 Fennec.

jalyst
2011-11-09, 14:42
Yeah I read that earlier. I'm not sure we can read too much into it though.
I would assume it's referring to anything beyond 11x...
Since 11x was confirmed for a bunch of major platforms & maybe WP a mth or so back.

jalyst
2011-11-13, 16:24
According to jolo, the status-quo remains.
Adobe's recent announcements don't affect ongoing assessments on 11x for Harmattan.
An excerpt of our dialogue is below...

Hey jolo,
Despite recent news that adobe's ditching flash on mobile.
That has little to do with their delivery of 11x right?
I have a call with adobe in 1 hour
Timely ;)
Apparently they're continuing with 11x for platforms they've announced.
But Harmattan was never in those announcements, so I'm nervous...
Did you learn anything new? TY :)
just need to pass certification
I guess that's good news? ...
At least the game's not over entirely right?
Yup. Just business as usual now.

So we're back to where things were before...
Which jolo preferred I didn't reiterate publicly, as it was far from conclusive either way.

olympus
2011-11-13, 16:50
aaaargh :p this would be soooo awesome.. the thing is, i'm gonna buy this device either way but if it has flash i think i'll surely keep it, if it doesn't then maybe i won't.

automagic68
2011-12-28, 05:16
Any news on Harmattan's certification status?

jalyst
2012-01-22, 15:43
Here's my latest convo with jolo (18/01/12 AustEST), situation remains infuriating:

no news to tweet about on that topic.
Right... But is it dead, alive, terminal, what?
So many were left hanging in that thread at TMO & have heard zip since.
we are still working on it, delay is with others and situation is delicate so no public comments
Sigh.
Can we at least get a rough timeframe as to when there's a resolution?
Surely it's dead if there's no conclusion in 3mth!?
we are stuck on lawyers at the moment.

I wish they'd just hurry-up and confirm it's not coming, it'd be better that way.

Creamy Goodness
2012-01-26, 05:34
lol @ lawyers, maybe if all these damn companies would stop suing each other for a few days they could work out some agreements that actually benefited someone for once.

immi.shk
2012-01-26, 05:55
How can there be flash on fennec for n9 or other platform when fennec for windows(Desktop) doesn't even have it...

jalyst
2012-01-26, 16:05
^ What are you talking about???
Running flash on "Firefox" here (OSX), there's no Fennec for PC's/Macs.
Read back through the thread...
Nokia needs to pay for a signed binary from Adobe, & Mozilla needs to agree.

wolke
2012-01-26, 16:13
to clear up some confusion:

@jalyst
actually, fennec is officially distributed by mozilla for windows, mac os x, and linux, but of course you could always just compile it anyway. its very cool, really.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/mobile/
under 'development tools' at the bottom

@immi.shk
what jalyst said is the long and short of it. it doesnt matter at all whether the windows binary of fennec has a flash plugin bundled; it would be surprising anyway.
i think it is unlikely that adobe will do this, though, because they are phasing out mobile flash.

jalyst
2012-01-26, 19:19
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/mobile/
under 'development tools' at the bottom

Oh yeah for dev purposes I could see the usefulness.

i think it is unlikely that adobe will do this, though, because they are phasing out mobile flash.

jolo's explained that's not really the issue, see earlier in the thread.

qwazix
2012-01-26, 19:23
Has anybody tried the .so file from the N900? Some other binaries have worked on my N9 (In fact I am not so sure, but trying to make wordpress work, I managed to reach the splash screen)

myname24
2012-02-13, 23:15
If flash will never work at least they should release the fennec version that they have that should be fast and non-buggy .
p.s: In early N9 demos there was a fennec icon in the app grid

jolo
2012-02-21, 21:22

Some good news for a change. We have finally sorted out the issues with Firefox for the N9 and have Adobe Flash certified. This means we should be able to get these to the Store quite soon. Sorry for the silence on this topic, but it has been a roller-coaster ride for these apps.

pali
2012-02-21, 21:53
Some good news for a change. We have finally sorted out the issues with Firefox for the N9 and have Adobe Flash certified. This means we should be able to get these to the Store quite soon. Sorry for the silence on this topic, but it has been a roller-coaster ride for these apps.

jolo, is flash for N9 standard NPAPI browser plugin? If yes can be used in other browsers (which support plugins)? And will be working also on N900?

jolo
2012-02-21, 21:57
jolo, is flash for N9 standard NPAPI browser plugin? If yes can be used in other browsers (which support plugins)? And will be working also on N900?

The way that Adobe Certification works is that it gets certified per browser and device, so right now it is just working for Firefox on the N9.

Jordi
2012-02-22, 02:47
Dear Jolo, you made my day :)

Dockman
2012-02-22, 02:55
Jolo, ballpark, how close are we?

ibrakalifa
2012-02-22, 03:33
finally flash on N9? whooooaaaa cool!!!!! :D

Tedri Mark
2012-02-22, 04:00
FP10 or FP11 with gpu support?

youmeego
2012-02-22, 04:33

greatest news for n9 after official opera browser on n9!

do you work for firefox comapny?

wormdrummer
2012-02-22, 05:56
Awesome news!

jalyst
2012-02-22, 07:39

Hallelujah! :D

Thank-you jolo for updating us here as soon as you could, as I asked via twitter.
Sorry for incessantly bugging you & whining, I'm sure the entire process hasn't been easy.

jalyst
2012-02-22, 07:41
do you work for firefox comapny?

No he's a Nokia employee.

ZogG
2012-02-22, 08:33
the question is would it be built in or flash from FF can be used by other browsers?

jalyst
2012-02-22, 08:47
the question is would it be built in or flash from FF can be used by other browsers?

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=1168031&postcount=107

erendorn
2012-02-22, 09:02
Is this flash with stage video/gpu acceleration? In any case this is awesome news.

Etchelon
2012-02-22, 10:37
The question is: will this latest implementation eat battery like fennec v13 alpha (from romaxa) does? Like 1% every 2 minutes or even faster :(

biatch0
2012-02-22, 10:59
All hail jolo!!! <3 <3 <3

vitaminj
2012-02-22, 11:34
The question is: will this latest implementation eat battery like fennec v13 alpha (from romaxa) does? Like 1% every 2 minutes or even faster :(

I use a release build (currently v10) from romaxa and it doesn't do this. Firefox Sync (if you use it) at startup does guzzle a bit of CPU, but once that's done, it's happy.

I'd like to know if Nokia are doing their own platform UI, given that Mozilla are soon to drop support for the current cross-platform (slow) XUL UI in favour of just Android.

Also, I assume a corresponding AIR runtime will be nowhere to be found, which would be a shame given it might enable another avenue to get some pre-existing apps onto the platform.

simonizer
2012-02-22, 12:25
I use a release build (currently v10) from romaxa and it doesn't do this. Firefox Sync (if you use it) at startup does guzzle a bit of CPU, but once that's done, it's happy.

I'd like to know if Nokia are doing their own platform UI, given that Mozilla are soon to drop support for the current cross-platform (slow) XUL UI in favour of just Android.

Also, I assume a corresponding AIR runtime will be nowhere to be found, which would be a shame given it might enable another avenue to get some pre-existing apps onto the platform.

jalyst has attached his conversation with romaxa. Seems like he's trying to build the browser with the harmattan ui and based on the Mozilla engine.

http://forum.meego.com/showpost.php?p=38577&postcount=156

Jedibeeftrix
2012-02-22, 14:56
excellent news Jolo, thank you.

Dave999
2012-02-22, 15:15
HoHo, This will be funny. Flash impementation for n9 :D

However, flash for n9 is nothing like flash for ... just saying.

Anyhow. Great work guys. Truly amazing!

jalyst
2012-02-22, 17:10
FP10 or FP11 with gpu support?

Pretty sure my earlier chats with him indicated they were gunning for Flash 11x.
Here is one example....
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1122938#post1122938
I hope there hasn't been a miscommunication, would be disappointing if it was 10.1.
I've tweeted him & asked if he can clarify, & answer some other questions here.

jolo
2012-02-22, 21:48
Jolo, ballpark, how close are we?

just fiddling around with optification to get through the Nokia Store submission process.

I hope there hasn't been a miscommunication, would be disappointing if it was 10.1.

It is 10.1. We ran out of runway, so we got out what we could get out. No sense in delaying thing even further.

Dragoss91
2012-02-22, 21:51

Infinite thanks to you , I really missed the N900 web experience .

jahberre
2012-02-22, 22:04
i wish it were soon!!!

user_nameless
2012-02-22, 22:25
wow, fantastic news .. simply can't wait for this .. thank you thank you thank you ..

law138
2012-02-22, 22:49
Hallelujah! :D

Thank-you jolo for updating us here as soon as you could, as I asked via twitter.
Sorry for incessantly bugging you & whining, I'm sure the entire process hasn't been easy.

Jalyst I would like to thank you for the whining, bugging and keeping the community updated with this also a big thanks to jojo . :-)

automagic68
2012-02-23, 01:33
just fiddling around with optification to get through the Nokia Store submission process.

It is 10.1. We ran out of runway, so we got out what we could get out. No sense in delaying thing even further.

After this release, will there be a later update which contains Flash 11.x?

ibrakalifa
2012-02-23, 01:53
N9 64gb!! where i can find it?!!! i cant waiiiit, :sad:

HanzBlix
2012-02-23, 04:23
Wow that's uncanny, last night I noticed that youtube actually plays videos on the desktop version(of the page) via default browser and fennec, I hadn't been able to do that before, and I havnt updated fennec for months, and have done nothing to implement flash so obviously it's not related to this upcoming release, maybe in the background somehow.
It's not exactly a slick implementation but it's nice to see it work like that, brings back memories of my old n900 lol.
Now I find out proper flash is coming for fennec at least, jackpot, the lack of flash is one of the many apple features that I don't want a bar of, frankly I found it inconcievable that N9 wouldn't ship with flash, until I received mine......
The N9's heritage is wasted if it can't, scratch that, won't allow for power users on trivial little features like flash.
One thing I can guarantee, this won't stop the whole "oh Nokia don't support their devices" BS, trolls will be trolls, cough chuck vi cough.

jalyst
2012-02-23, 20:12

:-(
http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h425/jed3030/Son__I_am_Disappoint_by_SonIAmDisappointPLZ.jpg

Any chance of FP11x later on?

jalyst
2012-02-23, 20:22
Jalyst I would like to thank you for the whining, bugging and keeping the community updated with this also a big thanks to jojo . :-)

NP at all. It was really only a very minor role...
But I'm quite sure jolo wanted to strangle me occasionally :D

vzp916
2012-02-23, 21:55
NP at all. It was really only a very minor role...
But I'm quite sure jolo wanted to strangle me occasionally :D

Now it's better :)

latency
2012-02-24, 21:51
Finally flash for N9! I'm in heaven. I wonder how long the Nokia Store submission process will take. Anyone now how long it usually takes? Days, weeks?

vzp916
2012-02-24, 21:53
Soooo......did jolo actually use it on the N9 and can vouch for usability and all?

Ovi store takes couple days...unless Nokia doesn't want it to go out.

jolo
2012-02-25, 02:03

Now you can get Firefox here: http://store.ovi.mobi/content/257468 - we'll probably get Flash out next week.

Dead1nside
2012-02-25, 02:35
Now you can get Firefox here: http://store.ovi.mobi/content/257468 - we'll probably get Flash out next week.

Absolute amazement. Thank you so much, and to everyone else involved. I only just bought an N9, imported to the UK, and I was not expecting this -- always the best surprise.

Sazpaimon
2012-02-25, 03:01

Why? Flash 11 doesn't really bring a lot to the table that the N9 can benefit from. A lot of changes to the player itself, most of the updates from the last few releases went to improving AIR. The most major thing of note was better 3D rendering over OpenGLES 2, but I'm fairly confident that developers aren't going to be targeting flash for mobile 3D games any time soon. I think possibly improved video decoding, but I think that was really targeted on Android, which isn't exactly the same plugin as the NPAPI plugin we'll be getting, In fact, I'd be willing to bet if he just lied and said it was Flash 11 and really just a modified Flash 10 binary, you wouldn't know the difference.

The real question you should be asking is not what version of Flash, but if was compiled with hardware acceleration

AndyNokia232
2012-02-25, 03:43
Wow, wow and once more...wow! Just downloaded Firefox on my N9 from the Nokia store and I am very, very impressed. Here's my little test: I tried to watch the PureView teaser video via MyNokiaBlog and all I got was choppy audio. That was a few days ago. Just tried the exact same thing with Firefox, and yes, it played the video! OK, so it managed on 360p, and became choppy higher than that, but it is fine with me, as long as I can play flash videos, I'm happy!
Big thanks to jolo for making this happen. It's so good to know Nokia are still working hard to make this phone of theirs even better. I am a happy chap!
:)

ibrakalifa
2012-02-25, 04:04
i still manage to get a new 64gb n9, lol, why its so hard to find it here, :confused:

dsawhney
2012-02-25, 04:23
Wow, wow and once more...wow! Just downloaded Firefox on my N9 from the Nokia store and I am very, very impressed. Here's my little test: I tried to watch the PureView teaser video via MyNokiaBlog and all I got was choppy audio. That was a few days ago. Just tried the exact same thing with Firefox, and yes, it played the video! OK, so it managed on 360p, and became choppy higher than that, but it is fine with me, as long as I can play flash videos, I'm happy!
Big thanks to jolo for making this happen. It's so good to know Nokia are still working hard to make this phone of theirs even better. I am a happy chap!

i think ff with flash version is not going to be available until next week, you were using html5 to watch the webm video

RafaelVlmendes
2012-02-25, 05:04
Guys and community. Firefox updating in store ovi and is very fast sites and plugins.. Next week flash for firefox. Nice

lifeintheblitz
2012-02-25, 13:08
Yeah I tried it out. It is pretty speedy, but sadly it comes at the cost of battery life. :( Even when running in the background, Firefox averages around 15%-25% CPU utilization. :( Not really expecting a super optimized build, but for me, I think that's a little on the high side.

latency
2012-02-25, 13:49
As long as flash works I'm not that bothered with battery draining in Fennec. I'll use the standard browser or Opera for sites that doesn't require flash.

Makeclick
2012-02-25, 14:44
Yeah I tried it out. It is pretty speedy, but sadly it comes at the cost of battery life. :( Even when running in the background, Firefox averages around 15%-25% CPU utilization. :( Not really expecting a super optimized build, but for me, I think that's a little on the high side.

Hey.. it's first rela release from firefox to harmattan "maemo6". I think they try to make it even better.

m4r0v3r
2012-02-25, 14:56
any chance of a video of the performance?

marxian
2012-02-25, 16:23
any chance of a video of the performance?

YouTube video playback in Firefox on my N950 http://youtu.be/wix6oz5-iAg

tcbl50
2012-02-25, 16:58

never happened for me. i actually seemed to have less impact on the battery as compared with the default browser

jalyst
2012-02-25, 19:38
Why? Flash 11 doesn't bring a lot to the table that the N9 can benefit from.
<SNIP>most major thing of note was better 3D rendering over OpenGLES 2...
But I'm fairly confident that developers aren't going to be targeting flash for mobile 3D games any time soon

That's true, given the longer-term outlook for the platform.

I think possibly improved video decoding,

That's mainly what I was hoping for....

The real question you should be asking, is if it was compiled with hardware acceleration

This is significant too, good point....
It'd still be good to get confirmation at some point, as to whether it's completely ruled-out
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=1168897&postcount=134

You would've been playing HTML5/WEBM, not Flash...
IIRC the reason you had that issue w/the stock browser, is to do w/how YouTube sniffs the UA for the stock browser from an embedded vid.
IIRC if you went directly to YouTube and watch it from there, the stock browser should've handed it pretty well.

Pirvokkula
2012-02-25, 20:57
I cannot see how people are giving 5-star reviews to the Ovi store version of Fennec (10.0.2).

The browser is choppy, laggy and slow.

But yes, there's much potential in it. I hope future versions will be faster and the UI will feel better.

cevenn
2012-02-25, 21:09
It's laggy, but usefull with Phony add-on, to change user agent...

jalyst
2012-02-25, 21:16
I cannot see how people are giving 5-star reviews to the Ovi store version of Fennec (10.0.2).

The browser is choppy, laggy and slow.

But yes, there's much potential in it. I hope future versions will be faster and the UI will feel better.

Read posts #121, #122, & then the post that's linked to in #121
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1168276#post1168276
I'm still in the midst of getting more info. from jolo about that.

ENNINE
2012-02-25, 22:20
It's slow, laggy and shitty.
Opera is much better.

latency
2012-02-25, 22:28
It's slow, laggy and shitty.
Opera is much better.
Surely, Opera is much snappier at the moment, but flash will draw me to Fennec either way. I hope it will be here on Monday :)

aironeous
2012-02-26, 08:29
Finally I WILL BE ABLE TO USE THE INTERNET NOT JUST READ IT!
No more Nokia diaper on their face when it comes to flash.

Now I can use the internet, i.e. watch CNN videos, watch dailyshow, colbert report, hulu, website radio station streams, so so many things or at least have the chance.

Now we need someone to make an app to change the user agent so it reads flash 11 for firefox when websites check because many websites will discriminate against your browser unless it says flash 11 even though flash 10.1 will play the content just fine.

This is too good to be true? It's hard to believe Jolo.
Are you sure Elop is not going to come down and take a crap on your face and stop it to make his loser windows boned 7.5 a success?

pycage
2012-02-26, 12:20
Why should Elop be against flash? He's the one who sold it to Adobe in the first place. :D

lifeintheblitz
2012-02-26, 12:23
Hey.. it's first rela release from firefox to harmattan "maemo6". I think they try to make it even better.

I hope they could, though I am not really expecting it. The default browser honestly serves my needs anyway. Either way, of course I'm supportive of this cause.

Morpog
2012-02-26, 12:51
Have you seen that Romaxa already committed patches for QT5?

h t t p : / / hg.mozilla.org/users/romaxa_gmail.com/rmxmq

Sorry for the broken URL, but my posts never get approved by moderators.....

Could that mean that:

- Harmattan is getting QT5 soon?
- Meltemi comes with QT5?

:eek:

automagic68
2012-02-26, 19:44
So once flash is released for N9, will Romaxa's Beta, Aurora, and Nightly(Central) builds have flash included in them? Right now I'm using the most recent Aurora, I hope I won't have to revert to the previous version to get flash.

m4r0v3r
2012-02-28, 01:40
YouTube video playback in Firefox on my N950 http://youtu.be/wix6oz5-iAg

much appreciated. the performance doesn't seem out of this world, hell the N900 even plays youtube flash smoother but I doubt that's the finished product, and am guessing flash on fennec will probably give mozilla a wakeup call that people actually use there browser and they should do some work on it.

aironeous
2012-02-28, 16:49
I'm bumping this thread because it's so so so important.

jolo
2012-02-28, 17:10
Just a small update from me, I am now not working on this - but we did get Firefox out to the store and Flash 10.1 should come out soon. As I am not involved in it actively, I cannot say what happens next, but there are people working on it and trying to get improvements.

AndyNokia232
2012-02-28, 17:13
Just a small update from me, I am now not working on this - but we did get Firefox out to the store and Flash 10.1 should come out soon. As I am not involved in it actively, I cannot say what happens next, but there are people working on it and trying to get improvements.

Sorry for sounding like a pest, but when you say Flash should be 'soon', is that like, days, or are we talking maybe June/July?

Pirvokkula
2012-02-28, 22:18
Why is everyone so eager to have Flash on this already slow and sluggish browser?

I couldn't care less about it right now. I've browsed the Web without Flash content for months and cannot see the real use of it. Everything, well, at least almost everything, works without Flash anyway nowadays.

jalyst
2012-02-28, 22:30
I've spoken to Oleg, there will be future builds in the Store that use FP10.1.
This is Fennec 10.02, there are the nightly, aurora, & beta builds still coming through.
Still getting clarification on what the plans are for the Gecko + Qt/SwipeUX builds.*
And whether they will also be eligible for FP10.1, doubtful....

*i.e. truly native & better suited the UX, probably more snappy too.

latency
2012-02-28, 22:40
Why is everyone so eager to have Flash on this already slow and sluggish browser?

I couldn't care less about it right now. I've browsed the Web without Flash content for months and cannot see the real use of it. Everything, well, at least almost everything, works without Flash anyway nowadays.
Good for you...and I browse the web daily with my N9 and the lack of flash makes the online experience limited almost instantly...videos won't play, audio won't play...there's so many flash elements out there (even on major sites). HTML5 is great and expanding, but flash is still very common and will be for a pretty long time.

latency
2012-02-28, 22:42
I've spoken to Oleg, there will be future builds in the Store that use FP10.1.
This is Fennec 10.02, there are the nightly, aurora, & beta builds still coming through.
Still getting clarification on what the plans are for the Gecko + Qt/SwipeUX builds.*
And whether they will also be eligible for FP10.1, doubtful....

*i.e. truly native & better suited the UX, probably more snappy too.

Great, did he mention any timeframe? Days, weeks, months...ye...erhmm?

aironeous
2012-02-29, 01:22

1) There is still work being done on it so it is going to be updated just like the other apps. Don't you think it might get a little faster in the future?
2) There is a lot of websites that still use flash

This is the biggest lie I've ever heard and I'm getting sick of hearing it from the 5% here.

CNN VIDEOS, Yahoo news article videos, Hulu.com, radio station websites with streams, bbcnews videos, youtube videos that are in flash not html5, videos on tech blogs like engadget or slashgear, thedailyshow.com, colbertnation.com, bleachget.com THERE ARE SO MANY WEBSITES THAT USE FLASH NOT HAVING IT IS A SERIOUS HANDICAP.

Ok I'll just show you how incorrect I think this statement is I'll just do any random search and one of those top results will involve a flash video.

Uhmm ok lets see "Octopus eyes"

4th result
http://www.ebiomedia.com/what-animal-has-a-more-sophisticated-eye-octopus-or-insect.html

Click stock footage
http://www.ebiomedia.com/catalog/vmchk.html

Choose eye of the cyclops
http://www.ebiomedia.com/Eye-of-the-Cyclops/View-all-products.html

Choose Plankton Play
http://www.ebiomedia.com/Eye-of-the-Cyclops/Plankton-Play/flypage-video.tpl.html

FLASH

I can do this all day. Any random search will result in websites using flash and I'm getting sick of running into a wall all the time feeling like I'm hitting my head against the wall.
I have no idea what world you guys are living in that think we don't need flash you must be just pretending to yourself because I know you are using search too and running into flash videos that won't play all the time.

chrisp7
2012-02-29, 12:49

Just why are you posting in this thread?

Pirvokkula
2012-02-29, 21:38
Heh.

I know the browser will get updates. I hope it will get as smooth as the native one because then I will use it.

I've been a FF user for so many years I cannot even remember and want also use Fennec with all the good features it has. But at the moment it's not possible for me.

I'm following the work in progress and hope the best for the future. Of course it will have updates, I know that. Everyone knows that. But for now, no, it cannot be my daily browser.

Flash? Don't you guys use computers anymore? It seems that you're doing a lot more than I with your handheld devices. Then Flash will be good for you even though I won't still need it.

Come on, see my point and get over your anger. It's absolutely rubbish to give Fennec a 5-star review right now. But I really do hope that I will be able to do it in the future.

cevenn
2012-02-29, 21:48
It's laggy, but usefull with Phony add-on, to change user agent...

That's allow to watch operator TV with 3g...

Dead1nside
2012-02-29, 23:09
Having Flash and Fennec come to the N9 is great and unexpected. I do hope some further updates and improvements come for both (in the case of Flash, I don't feel that's as likely).

Mozilla worries me a bit. I understand they have limited resources, but I've been watching their Fennec project from when before it was even called that, or had major support (just Doug Turner, I believe). Focussing purely on Android is perhaps a reasonable use of their limited resources, but I do think they should still try and improve Fennec as it can run on many open Linux-based devices.

latency
2012-03-02, 22:41
Hmm I was really hoping flash would show up this week, but it seems we have to wait longer. :(

marxian
2012-03-02, 23:22
Hmm I was really hoping flash would show up this week, but it seems we have to wait longer. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNf9rEPoc8Q

Only 14 hours to save the internet, else all N9s will die. :eek:

slarti
2012-03-02, 23:55
Flashhh! He'll save everyone of us!

Yeshua
2012-03-03, 16:22
I opened Fx/Fennec and went to

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer

I then got this:

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/1290/20120303165852.png

I clicked on 'Select version to download' and then got this:

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/7897/20120303165931.png

Is this it? Which one to choose?

m4r0v3r
2012-03-03, 16:36
lol its none of them unfortunatley, you have to wait for the release.

Arie
2012-03-03, 16:47
None of them, we need the .deb

latency
2012-03-06, 09:14
Did we ever get an answer to if the up and coming flash version for Fennec will support hardware acceleration?

I'm trying to wait patiently for it, but I'm going nuts soon...where is it? Stuck in the Nokia Store waiting for approval for ever? :)

olympus
2012-03-06, 09:36
Don't know why it has to be published in the store, just give us the download link :/

myname24
2012-03-06, 14:45
flash player is in the store noww :) downloading ...

latency
2012-03-06, 14:57
flash player is in the store noww :) downloading ...

Crazy!! Flash here we come! :D

jalyst
2012-03-06, 18:13
Did we ever get an answer to if the up and coming flash version for Fennec will support hardware acceleration?

No it's not compiled w/hw acceleration, but decoding is accelerated.
Few others things I will clarify soon too...
Just need to have more of a chat w/Oleg when we both have time.

Yeshua
2012-03-06, 19:02
Houston, we've go Flash!

*wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii*

http://users.telenet.be/lsz/gifs/banana.sml.gif

bsalem
2012-03-06, 19:14
Yes it,s true.
The version is Flash Player 4.0.0 work with firfox only.

you can download it from this link

http://www.mediafire.com/?bc1w4lgv6rxn18o

bsalem
2012-03-06, 19:30
The flash player release work with firefox only
the link on mediafire
/?bc1w4lgv6rxn18o

ENNINE
2012-03-06, 21:33
Installed.
Not bad, it's a little bit laggy but...

catbus
2012-03-06, 23:56
I would say... Not too bad at all. It's working quite well if "user" don't interrupt it (by moving or resizing or whatever, all the time).

We need also some speed-bust to FF.

And btw, this flash-app did not eat battery too much.

matimilko
2012-03-07, 06:15
Yes, Flash is here but it doesn't work on F1 live timing... Why? Any idea?
Thanks,
Milko

catbus
2012-03-07, 07:17
F1 live timing is Java not Flash...

ENNINE
2012-03-07, 12:04
Yeah, it's java.

I did unistall Fennec. It's so slow and so laggy.
Opera is much better.

latency
2012-03-07, 12:08
Yeah, it's java.

Opera is much better.

Fennec is laggy and Opera is lacky :)
I prefer Fennec now that it sports flash.

ENNINE
2012-03-07, 12:45
Are they planing any update for Fennec?

erendorn
2012-03-07, 14:25
Are they planing any update for Fennec?

you can use unofficial builds. They work with flash too.

mtaudy
2012-03-07, 16:42
Hi everybody. I downloaded the Flash.deb to my phone and tried to install, but I still recieve a message, that "Cant install. Unable to trace installation package dependencies". Tried to do it via Ovi, but the same. In my device is Firefox fennec 10. Any idea? Thanks

alephito
2012-03-07, 19:24
You need PR1.2.

wolke
2012-03-07, 19:35
You need PR1.2.

i dont have pr 1.2 and im using the deb from the ovi store.

davmin
2012-03-07, 19:43
How i can disable flash player, when no need surf web with flash ?

romaxa
2012-03-07, 22:05
Fixed problem with wrong SDK for http://romaxa.info/fennec builds.
Now it should be installable on PR1.2

Arie
2012-03-07, 22:20
gives me an error:
aegis-loader: Failed loading policy for 'fennec::/opt/firefox/lib/fennec-13.0a1/fennec'

aegis-loader: Failed loading policy for 'fennec::/opt/firefox/lib/fennec-13.0a1/plugin-container'

What do you think it's caused from?

romaxa
2012-03-08, 01:26
I think it is from different opt/app-name/ folder and app-name. fixed path to /opt/fennec, hope it will help
Also uploaded fixed version of nightly package (last one was a bit broken due build error)

romaxa
2012-03-08, 01:35
Yeah, it's java.

Opera is much better.

Last time I tried Opera, and it seems does not have latest html5 support features.. WebGL, Video.. also CSS3 transforms animations et.c.

http://romaxa.info/css3d/cube3d/cube_fast.html
http://learningwebgl.com/lessons/lesson05/index.html
http://camendesign.com/code/video_for_everybody/test.html

godofwar424
2012-03-08, 01:45
I know it has been discussed throughout the thread, but why does Nokia themselves help develop flash for our beloved N9 but stick it on Firefox/Fennec?!

Why not for the stock browser, at a slight loss as to why they did this but I guess I can live with it. Just curious tbh.

romaxa
2012-03-08, 01:55
I know it has been discussed throughout the thread, but why does Nokia themselves help develop flash for our beloved N9 but stick it on Firefox/Fennec?!

Why not for the stock browser, at a slight loss as to why they did this but I guess I can live with it. Just curious tbh.

Stock browser, based on Old Webkit2 branch which has not very good plugins support (does not have)
Also it very far from certification quality with that branch... but I guess it would not be hard to add that support by hacking:
http://gitorious.org/+qtwebkit-webkit2-dev/webkit/qtwebkit-webkit2-dev ...
Firefox/Fennec has pretty much stable plugins-backend support, also it multi-process out of the box, which helps to not kill Browser when flash crashes :)

godofwar424
2012-03-08, 02:09
Stock browser, based on Old Webkit2 branch which has not very good plugins support (does not have)
Also it very far from certification quality with that branch... but I guess it would not be hard to add that support by hacking:
http://gitorious.org/+qtwebkit-webkit2-dev/webkit/qtwebkit-webkit2-dev ...
Firefox/Fennec has pretty much stable plugins-backend support, also it multi-process out of the box, which helps to not kill Browser when flash crashes :)

Thanks for that, clarifies things for me :)

Shame Nokia couldn't sort the stock browser and make it a bit more plugin friendly, maybe use a newer version of WebKit and technically its wouldn't be hacking if Nokia did it themselves, which is what I am still kinda hoping they will do at some point.

Or Fennec/Firefox will catch up speed wise and I will never use that lightweight tabless browser that Nokia provided us with :P

romaxa
2012-03-08, 19:02
Or Fennec/Firefox will catch up speed wise and I will never use that lightweight tabless browser that Nokia provided us with :P

I've made simple IPC embedding API, which allow to embed gecko in the similar way as Webkit2
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Embedding/IPCLiteAPI
With that I have very high responsiveness and performance (60FPS for everything without lags using simple QML view)
But main problem is that we need to build Qt native or QML UI for that, if that is done, then we could get native mobile browser which is as fast as stock browser, and would have better support from engine side (keeping mozilla based stuff in sync with upstream is much easier)

jalyst
2012-03-08, 19:18
^Yup this is what Ive been talking about folks, damn I hope this gathers momentum.

And check out the newest builds of Fennec godofwar424.
They're def. getting better performance wise compared to a mth+ back.

jalyst
2012-03-08, 19:20
I've made simple IPC embedding API, which allow to embed gecko in the similar way as Webkit2
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Embedding/IPCLiteAPI
With that I have very high responsiveness and performance (60FPS for everything without lags using simple QML view)
But main problem is that we need to build Qt native or QML UI for that, if that is done, then we could get native mobile browser which is as fast as stock browser, and would have better support from engine side (keeping mozilla based stuff in sync with upstream is much easier)

We'd make most of the UX native, but plugin/add-on arch would still be XUL based right?

alephito
2012-03-08, 19:26
i dont have pr 1.2 and im using the deb from the ovi store.
How did you deal with the missing dependencies in PR1.1?

jalyst
2012-03-08, 19:30
How did you deal with the missing dependencies in PR1.1?

You don't need to any more, Romaxa's released a deb for 1.1 users, & the Fennec builds are fine now too
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1176612#post1176612

latency
2012-03-08, 19:41
Is that something that's being worked on or in a near future?

Btw, Do I have to uninstall my current version of Fennec before I install a nightly build?

aironeous
2012-03-09, 10:40
Fixed problem with wrong SDK for http://romaxa.info/fennec builds.
Now it should be installable on PR1.2

Thanks. I just installed the 11.0 version in the release folder.
I went to html5test.com and it scored 333 points with 9 bonus points. It's up there with desktop browsers. It switches orientation faster imo now too.

We should all send romaxa a paypal of 5 or 10 bucks.
What's your paypal Romaxa?

Zoxir
2012-03-09, 11:42
I
Is this it? Which one to choose?
Dude search it through Ovi store not from adobe.

jalyst
2012-03-09, 16:01
Thanks. I just installed the 11.0 version in the release folder.
I went to html5test.com and it scored 333 points with 9 bonus points. It's up there with desktop browsers. It switches orientation faster imo now too.

We should all send romaxa a paypal of 5 or 10 bucks.
What's your paypal Romaxa?

He's a Nokia employee but he still deserves a donation IMO :)

aironeous
2012-03-09, 17:16
He's a Nokia employee but he still deserves a donation IMO :)

Oh oops it's probably not allowed then. Nevermind.
By the way if Romaxa is reading this. Can you go to yahoo sign in and try to comment on a news article the text does not appear. Also try the same at cnn and also try using the arrow keys from mesinpt it doesn't work on one of those forget which one though and at cnn it will cut you off at four lines and shove the text down so you can only half see it underneath the keyboard.

sada11
2012-03-13, 19:48
new update for Firefox on the OVI Store to version 11.0 :)

edit: and update for Flash Player:D

edit2: is still slow :( and version for the flash is 10.1.105.6

catbus
2012-03-13, 19:58
new update for Firefox on the OVI Store to version 11.0 :)

Thanks!

There is still this bug with notifications from store updates... That must reopen! I thought it was fixed... but not...

jalyst
2012-03-13, 20:10
This update for FP10.1 is merely to add PR1.1 compatibility.
The Fennec builds on Romaxa's site are now compatible with PR1.1/PR1.2 too.

N.B.
If you decide to use one of Romaxa's builds & you have official Fennec installed.
You have to 1st uninstall Fennec before you install his builds.
You don't have to do this if you're already using one of his builds.

jalyst
2012-03-13, 20:22
edit2: is still slow :(

Try one of the aurora or nightly builds at romaxa's site ;)

catbus
2012-03-13, 20:27
This update for FP10.1 is merely to add PR1.1 compatibility.
All the Fennec builds on Romaxa's site are now compatible with PR1.1 & PR1.2 too.

Well maybe so... Still this update says it is "Version 11.0"... Didn't notice any speedups, so... "much talk, nothing to write about..."

jalyst
2012-03-13, 20:30
Well maybe so... Still this update says it is "Version 11.0"... Didn't notice any speedups, so... "much talk, nothing to write about..."

I got a marked improvement w/the nightlies (aka central) & aurora (IIRC)
http://romaxa.info/fennec/
Not stability issues at all yet either, touch wood...

balisingh
2012-03-13, 20:31

And btw, this flash-app did not eat battery too much.

But Firefox is a burner. Its spending 11-15% even in the background.

catbus
2012-03-13, 20:48
But Firefox is a burner. Its spending 11-15% even in the background.

Yes, it is running "flat-out" even in backround.. Really proving how well N9 multitasking is working. Try watch youtube and swipe it to back... cool... (not for power consumptions but...)

impact
2012-03-13, 21:16
Just close Firefox when you're not using it, it will remember your open panels anyways.

bockersjv
2012-03-14, 14:46
Just received and update to both Firefox and Flash player, not sure what this changes though.

myname24
2012-03-14, 15:05
I don't think it change anything important but it updates firefox to version 11 and for the flash IIRC Romaxa said it's just an update to update to add compatibilty for PR1.1

chrisp7
2012-03-14, 16:14
I don't think it change anything important but it updates firefox to version 11 and for the flash IIRC Romaxa said it's just an update to update to add compatibilty for PR1.1

I wasnt able to install flash on PR1.2, with these updates I can.:)
Firefox seems smoother too (however that could be psychological)

myname24
2012-03-14, 16:35
I wasnt able to install flash on PR1.2, with these updates I can.:)
Firefox seems smoother too (however that could be psychological)

For the smoother part :p
I tried today Firefox (10.0.3 without Flash) on SG-S2 and that was the smoother experience :p
On the N9 it's anywhere near smooth but when romaxa will finish the QT UI it should be smooth .

latency
2012-03-14, 17:24
On the N9 it's anywhere near smooth but when romaxa will finish the QT UI it should be smooth .
Is that something he's working on or just what we hope for? I know he's mentioned that it would make Fennec faster, but not that he'll actually do it.

Dragoss91
2012-03-16, 18:05
I've tried to install nigtly fennec from romaxa website (http://romaxa.info/fennec/mozilla-central/) but I'm getting this and fennec just starts with a blank page and I can not click on anything . Anyone had sucessfully installed nightly fennec so far ?

RM696-07-1_PR_001:~# /usr/sbin/incept /home/user/MyDocs/fennec_14.0~a1_armel.deb
Do not continue unless you fully trust the package you are about to install.
Press <Enter> to cancel, or enter your root password to proceed.

Password:
Package fennec has package signature (origin 'com.nokia.maemo/local')
Selecting previously deselected package fennec.
(Reading database ... 47401 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking fennec (from .../cache/inception/tmp/pkg_GdLSAo) ...
aegis-installing fennec (from 'com.nokia.maemo/local')
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of fennec:
fennec depends on libpango1.0-0 (>= 1.14.0); however:
Package libpango1.0-0 is not installed.
dpkg: error processing fennec (--install):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
fennec
incept: Installation failed (256)
RM696-07-1_PR_001:~#

latency
2012-03-16, 19:03
Did you uninstall Nokia Store version before installing the nightly Fennec version?

Dragoss91
2012-03-16, 21:09
Did you uninstall Nokia Store version before installing the nightly Fennec version?

First time nope (my bad) , but then I purged nightly and firefox and tried to install again nightly and these are the results . :(

latency
2012-03-16, 21:38
The latest nightly I installed was yesterday and it worked. Sorry for asking stupid questions, but did you allow installation of other sources than from Nokia Store?

Dragoss91
2012-03-16, 21:47
The latest nightly I installed was yesterday and it worked. Sorry for asking stupid questions, but did you allow installation of other sources than from Nokia Store?

Yes , I fixed the problem , it was some missing dependency :D . I managed to install it succesfully but it seems to be as slow and laggy like firefox . :(

latency
2012-03-16, 21:52
The speed difference if very subtle, maybe even just something imaginable.

This could be fixed with a QT UI, but I haven't got an answer to if that's in the works or just a wish. Imagine Fennec as fast as the stock browser, but still with all it's tools....that would be something special! :)

Dragoss91
2012-03-16, 22:07
The speed difference if very subtle, maybe even just something imaginable.

This could be fixed with a QT UI, but I haven't got an answer to if that's in the works or just a wish. Imagine Fennec as fast as the stock browser, but still with all it's tools....that would be something special! :)

Fennec as fast as stock browser or stock browser with flash support like fennec ... the dream of any N9 user . :rolleyes:

As someone said here , in 2012 a smarphone without a good browser with flash support is a handicap .

latency
2012-03-16, 22:08
Fennec as fast as stock browser or stock browser with flash support like fennec ... the dream of any N9 user . :rolleyes:
Yes, but I would prefer Fennec with speed.

aironeous
2012-03-17, 00:26
What about adding an option on long press in the stock browser that says "open in firefox."

catbus
2012-03-20, 16:32
Just upgraded the new version. No more lag on youtube flash, no need to wait. Didn't test any live-stream. Not bad, at all...

captainofiron
2012-03-20, 18:03
works great on my phone.

really like that Firefox has adblock

ENNINE
2012-03-24, 00:34
Updated to v14.
So far so good.

Pirvokkula
2012-04-01, 23:46
New versions are out.

http://romaxa.bolshe.net/fennec/

alephito
2012-05-09, 01:15
I just installed v15. This one is really fast. Seriously.

Thanks Romaxa.