PDA

View Full Version : Problem with BBC streaming video

neiljerram
2005-12-17, 16:17
When l try to view video from the BBC website, the video player opens and the .ram file appears to be downloaded successfully, but the video player then says format unsupported. No one else seems to have reported this, so l wonder if l'm missing some well known trick or software update.

Any help much appreciated. Thanks in advance, Neil.

neiljerram
2005-12-19, 23:55
Can no one give me any advice on this?

- Does BBC video work or not work for you? If it works, what software version are you using?

- Is there any log file somewhere that I can look at to find more about what the problem is?

- Can someone suggest another web site with free streaming video, to investigate whether this problem is BBC-specific?

I just tried flashing the very latest Nokia release (2.2005.45-8), but it didn't solve the problem. I still get "Unable to open. File format not supported." every time.

Thanks,
Neil

greencloudz
2005-12-23, 07:50
When I attempted to stream video from first BBC, then Real-
one video site, the lower right sign continued cycling
but after several minutes, still no video commence.
This was at compusa connected to their wi-fi. The salesman
suggested the problem was due to too many computers using
the compusa system,...which may or may not be logical.

I also request someone attempt to video stream from the two
sites, and other real video sites. Tell us what you find.

Perhaps Roger S might have some news on this?

Green

bowdie
2005-12-23, 08:37
That happens to me too. Once, my 770 streamed the audio, but the video stayed black. Since then, other BBC streams have done the "unable to open" error.

It was a eye witness report from that fuel fire, so the stream in question is long gone unfortunately.

When it did the audio, I was on .7, I've not tried it since flashing to 8.

dsmudger
2005-12-23, 10:47
BBC streams work fine on mine, but /only/ the low quality version (it's labelled "standard quality - below 256k").

It's the player on the 770 not supporting above a certain bitrate.

Those of you who have already made the choice of using the broadband version will have a cookie on your 770 telling it to always go for the that stream. You'll have to find the link on BBC to change your preferences, or clear your browser cookies. The link to change preferences is at the bottom of the stream page and it's called "Change how I view or hear this".

Bill
2005-12-23, 10:55
BBC video streams do work for me (2.2005.45-7), most of the times that is.
I do occasionally get the "unable to open" & file not found error. Furthermore a lot
of news sites are bit too optimized for "in browser" viewing of the streams, which quite often makes it quite hard, if not impossible to trigger a file open dialog, obtain the url or the rm file itself on the 770.

Dirk
2005-12-23, 19:49
BBC vids work for me. (version -8).
Sometimes it works if you save the file first, and open manually in the player.

I can also watch streams in both small and broadband (@500kbit/s) on the dutch public broadcasting site omroep.nl.

I'd wished the player also supported M$ filetypes as these are most frequently used for live streams. Also .asx audio streams don't work yet on the streams I've tested.

konttori
2005-12-23, 20:24
asx are m$ streams as well. That's probably why they don't work. ;)

neiljerram
2005-12-29, 13:21
dsmudger: Many thanks! I'll try the lower quality option and see if that fixes things for me.

Bill, Dirk: Can you please confirm what quality you're using, when you say that BBC video works for you?

Many thanks all, and best wishes for the coming new year!

neiljerram
2005-12-30, 14:57
Just to confirm: the low quality option is working for me now.

Thanks again to all who replied.