PDA

View Full Version : n800 defrag?

eldiablo
2011-07-26, 03:09
I have a 2gb microsd card and the folders are unrecognizable to devices...they show up but not as folders, just 'invalid' files or something.

I also had my laptop crash a while back and might be able to defrag the drive or something with the n800...if it's possible...

And I like to backup games to flash drive to avoid wearing out the dvd player...and have a few stored on a media player with a 20gb hd, and would like to transfer to flash drive to play...but to play them requires the game to be a contiguous file...yes I know flash doesn't need defragging, but turns out it does for ps2 games to be loaded from.

So...is there a way to defrag onn n800?
Can a debian package work like at the terminal(console/command prompt) perhaps ?

Thanks.

Socim
2011-07-27, 00:48
You may need a filesystem check, not a defrag to flash.

shadowjk
2011-07-27, 13:11
If a filesystem is in good health, a defrag does not change whether files can be accessed or not.

If a filesystem is in bad health, defrag will most likely make it worse.

You don't want to defrag anything that shows the slightest sign of corruption, damage or anything that could be described as "not working".

Aonsaithya
2011-07-27, 13:29
Indeed; file fragmentation should not be a problem with solid state memory, however defragmenting uses up write cycles of the memory. If it is necessary for them to work with PS2, then I guess you have no choice on the matter :P

Your laptop crashed, so you don't have a PC to work with?
If I were you, I'd install Recuva or something similar on an available PC (friend, parents, school, work, whatever) and deep scan the memory card with all options set (scan for undeleted as well etc), then recover the files to for example the USB HDD.
After that I'd format the card and move the game files on it. Moving files to a completely empty storage space should not cause fragmentation (as there is no need to fill in small empty spaces left behind by earlier deleted files). If PS2 wants to be a *****, then I'd scan the card with, say, Defraggler and defrag if necessary.

eldiablo
2011-07-31, 19:02
Indeed; file fragmentation should not be a problem with solid state memory, however defragmenting uses up write cycles of the memory. If it is necessary for them to work with PS2, then I guess you have no choice on the matter :P

Your laptop crashed, so you don't have a PC to work with?
If I were you, I'd install Recuva or something similar on an available PC (friend, parents, school, work, whatever) and deep scan the memory card with all options set (scan for undeleted as well etc), then recover the files to for example the USB HDD.
After that I'd format the card and move the game files on it. Moving files to a completely empty storage space should not cause fragmentation (as there is no need to fill in small empty spaces left behind by earlier deleted files). If PS2 wants to be a *****, then I'd scan the card with, say, Defraggler and defrag if necessary.

Thanks, that's the smart thing to do. Normally I'd boot linux on my laptop and do all that, but it won't even do that, so maybe I'll have to wait until I get a new one.

Yes, a filesystem check is in order on my corrupted card and so I shouldn't defrag it, but I have games backed up on usb flash drives, but not defragged- they won't run on ps2 off usb otherwise.

I have the cable to link usb drives to the nokia in host mode and a usb card reader; just no pc to do diagnostic/repar etc. on the cards/drives.