PDA

View Full Version : Increase in rude and/or ignorent people lately - AKA - EPIC rant thread!

kingoddball
2011-07-26, 22:38
Hello!
I have not been lingering around here lately due to an influx of dead threads.
There is a lot of N9/N950 crap. This is a Maemo/N900/N8*0 forum!
Not Meego!

They have just been irritating, nothing more.

But I have noticed a massive influx in POINTLESS threads and seemingly "dumb(!!)" people with pointless comments!

Why is this flooding coming?
What have we done wrong? We hide in our little corner of the Internet and stick to ourselves...

This is a Linux device! Linux is NOT simple! But it is NOT complex!
FIGURE IT OUT!

There is no point listing any examples, I'm sure you all would have seen them.

Is this one of the signs of the impending 2012 apocalypse?

Are all of these people finding cheap N900's or something?

P.S: THEY ARE CALLED PROGRAMS NOT APPS!

stlpaul
2011-07-26, 22:42
It's a sign of the 2011 Elopocalypse

dr_frost_dk
2011-07-26, 22:55
P.S: THEY ARE CALLED PROGRAMS NOT APPS!

Yes finally some who gets it :D
F*ing hate that stupid word APP, they where named programs in the beginning of computers because thats what they where, and that is what they still are!!!!!!!

an topic, well i haven't been browsing much lately, just been "maintaining" my threads, haven't had much time.....
But i have seen some "crap" lately.

smoku
2011-07-26, 22:55
But I have noticed a massive influx in POINTLESS threads and seemingly "dumb(!!)" people with pointless comments!

Why is this flooding coming?

http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=ignorelist

anonymous
2011-07-26, 23:04
if you've been lurking as long as you say you have, you would remember this is internet tablet talk. So meego definitely fits in around here.

Hey look at the top right, our only "advertisement" "and it's for a project to put meego on the n900.

And I suppose I need to remind you that the N9 and N950 are not meego devices. They renamed maemo 6 to meego harmattan. It's meego in name/branding, but not actually meego.

But thank you for contributing another rude post.

SD69
2011-07-26, 23:24
if you've been lurking as long as you say you have, you would remember this is internet tablet talk. So meego definitely fits in around here.

Hey look at the top right, our only "advertisement" "and it's for a project to put meego on the n900.

And I suppose I need to remind you that the N9 and N950 are not meego devices. They renamed maemo 6 to meego harmattan. It's meego in name/branding, but not actually meego.

Just to be clear, the Cordia project is not limited to the N900. One of its main purposes is to get as much of Maemo as possible on MeeGo devices.

Also, maemo.org doesn't accept paid advertisements at this time. Any member in good standing can post a banner for their Maemo related project for free. The criteria for banners are listed here:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=72265&highlight=banners

gerbick
2011-07-26, 23:34
I felt this same exact way when the N900 was released and I didn't make the jump.

The folks that came in, knew nothing about ITT, hated us old-timers that kept our N810's, the folks that resisted jumping to Qt were shunned for our GTK+ ways (like Druids, but hated moreso) and the negativity was immense.

Out comes the N9. New names, same ignorance, new device, same hatred to the prior group that existed here before them... same old story.

king Ralphred
2011-07-27, 00:09
If you don't want to comment on a thread then don't. If you can't handle the fact the people like me have bought an n900 then deal with it. I also bought a pc and don't know the inner workings of it. When I bought the n900, it was sold as a phone, not as a 'you must be a ****ty nerd with no sense of humour a girlfriend to own this device' device. Get over yourself, there are people here who aren't die hard maemo fans but still need help and the n900 has bought a lot of people to this forum. So help or ignore or phuk off and get a life.

kc5teg
2011-07-27, 00:20
Doesn't anyone else see the irony in creating this thread to complain about junky posts / threads?

kingoddball
2011-07-27, 00:39
Hahhahaa!
Can't argue with kc5teg!

I don't see why people would buy such a phone without first putting in a bit of research?

I don't have hatred toward anyone, but why not try and figure problems out yourself? You aren't running an iPhone. No click install and click to remove, some things are SLIGHTLY harder.

@ Annon: It may have it's underlying roots as ITT, but look at the URL.. MAEMO!

@ Ralph: Tool!

If people don't comment on the pointless threads the OP will open another and another (this has been seen).

Go dance a little jig.

smegheadz
2011-07-27, 00:45
@gerbick

a bit dramatic don't you think? sounds a bit like a hollywood script.
i was a day 1 buy for the n900, i'm not well off, never have been. i saved alot of my wages to build my own pc and at the time it was "ok" not great because i couldn't afford better. i dabbled in red hat 4 linux but bit complicated with getting hardware working. the point being i like alot of people missed out on the previous maemo itterations. be that there was lack of marketing or lack of funds. i was aware of linux for mobile devices being developed but thats as far as i could go.

what you have said is exactly what your complaining about. discrimination. you are discriminating against people who are new. not from your privlaged ITT days. your arguements are baseless. i didn't see droves of people shouting down with GTK+ and telling you to get out cuz your not n900 owner and doing all the other things you mention.

i see people who are new to maemo and linux and some are annoying and don't know how to search for themselves but there are many many more who aren't like that.
Change is going to happen. one way or another things change. you can either roll with the waves or waste all your life resisting and being bitter about it and sounding like a grumpy old man.
there are plenty of people who are hatefull, hate on the old,hating on the new, demanding and fanatics, these people are all over the place, old and young, hardcore and noobs, don't let yourself turn into any of them. don't waste life on negitive things, it's alot easier to put something down then it is to praise. very easy to criticize and make humours jokes at someone's or something's expense but it's harder to appreciate and praise where credit is due (well it's not as fun not so much as in hard)

i know you don't like the direction things have taken but see what you can take out of it for yourself. ask if there's anything you can do to make it any different. look at the people making the CSSU, and as mentioned above trying to get the maemo UI on meego. these people may not like the way things have gone but their doing something about it. they're not venting frustrations on threads about how back in the old days things were different and how things should be now. help keep maemo alive and that includes maemo 5 and harmattan. even meego, keep it going. let people see how good it is to do something for themselves instead of a push 1 button app to do it for them.

not all aimed at you btw, and it's not ment to offend, you do have interesting post's when your not poking at people for fun. just it's late and no time for cleaning up my post.

geneven
2011-07-27, 00:53
The majority has always considered outsiders inherently rude and considered rudeness toward them justifiable. I don't think that is increasing, but it isn't decreasing either.

There are old lines that might apply to Linux users:

How a minority
Come to authority
Hates a minority.

gerbick
2011-07-27, 01:27
@gerbick

a bit dramatic don't you think?

Nope. It's true. When the folks with the N810 got their machines, the N800 owners started their hate. I skipped from the 770 to the N810, and came here because I was curious about the 770 initially, then bought the N810 on day one. It's not about discrimination - not for me. I'm just paying attention to what seems to be going on.

Dramatic? No. Just recording what I saw. Don't worry about offending me, takes a lot to do so.

It's just a bit of geek envy per iteration of Maemo. No worries though, that's all coming to an end. I'll get to see the folks have some form of envy over the next iteration of <insert device> - it happens.

Not that I'm a fan of it. But it does seem that each iteration of the Maemo devices did bring a rowdier crowd with it.

Regardless, I'm just a 4 year ol' vet here (as of this month) and have caught hell from all aspects from not having a N900, to when I got one, I got one later. Funny how geeks are. The more they know or accept something, they turn all "IT'S ALL MINE!" on you and then tell you to RTFM or you're a n00b.

Angry people. They exist. Not sure why yet though.

demolition
2011-07-27, 01:55
I think the OP was merely refering to senseless posts and accompanying attitudes? Someone posted a reply with a lmgtfy a few weeks ago, which I thought was quite funny - we all need to ask for help from time to time but when zero thought has been given to the question...Well, we all have bad days but some posts are sitting ducks!

Incidentally, the last big kick-off was around Easter time (when Stskeeps eventually left). My hunch is many of the antagonists are school age, so now it's summer they'll all come flocking out again.
This is just a guess; I don't know for sure.
@K.O.B. - I see you're from antipodean parts so the thought of summer holidays may not have occured?

As for new users - well, bring-em on! Maemo is great and by reading content on maemo.org/TMO/mwkn one's knowledge and enjoyment of the device increases. Also, for many a first step on the linux path, which is also good. Just so long as they're polite!

theonelaw
2011-07-27, 02:02
...Angry people. They exist. Not sure why yet though.
Nice way to word this observation.

Just now under the stalking by a psychopath, :eek:
and reading up on the mental disorders
of narcissists, sociopaths, and their ilk.
(bear in mind these are spectrums of debilitation
- not binary true/false definitions of personality)

I just finished devising a very revealing method for
quantifying the degree of a narcissistic personality disorder,
and would like to do the same for sociopaths,
who share some of the same characteristics.

I suspect a public forum actually reveals a lot about
who has personality issues... .

funny thing is - there should be apps programs
for voice stress analysis, skin blush detection,
nervous muscle reactions and other such physiological things
but that's another story altogether.

ysss
2011-07-27, 02:03
It'll be interesting to see how many new users the N9 will bring here, because there won't be any 'official' links between that product and this community, will it?

prankster
2011-07-27, 02:20
open source society does not talk about minority or majority besides it is only a matter of contructive talk NOT the destructive one ..
@ysss
yeah it will be interesting as how the community responds ,i wonder if there isnt any official link,why would this site be supported by nokia ?
meego users have a great excuse to have it here and debate about it cuz nokia some where stated it as MAEMO 6 ,so its all here .
i was wondering once N9 launches and approaches here on this community ,what will be left for N900 or N8x0 ..will there be any space ?
anyhow to me ,even this thread is like i am wasting my words cuz in the end its the TMOs who gonna decide whether a thread should be started or discarded ..hopes for the best and vote for constructive talk .

SD69
2011-07-27, 02:25
It'll be interesting to see how many new users the N9 will bring here, because there won't be any 'official' links between that product and this community, will it?At present, there are no plans for an official connection between this community and the N9. But that does not rule out that there may be some Harmattan related open source software from community members here.

fusi
2011-07-27, 02:47
Is this one of the signs of the impending 2012 apocalypse?

Yes.

on the timing, i can only propose that it takes about this long for information about niche, good quality products to filter down into the mainstream sludge... maybe? hohoho

(your rant made me smile hehe ;)

fms
2011-07-27, 05:32
Re: Increase in rude and/or ignorent people lately
Yes. And you are contributing.

geneven
2011-07-27, 06:36
Yes. And you are contributing.

BTW: Isn't it amazing that people still think this kind of comment is clever when we've seen its type hundreds of times, at least?

udaychaitanya16
2011-07-27, 07:59
we have been discussing about i phone.Why not N9?.Untill i bought my N900 ,I did not even know the existence of 770,800,or 810.I slowly learnt many things here.I love my devise a lot.
If you think that this device should be with people who has lot of money i am sorry,Linux phones started to reach the poor like me.
If you think that this device should be owned by people who knew it very well then give your phone to Mohammad AG.

anthonie
2011-07-27, 15:43
This is a Linux device! Linux is NOT simple! But it is NOT complex!
FIGURE IT OUT!Call me an a**hole elitist, but the amount of people that do not know their left from their right foot, yet want nitdroid, every game emulator that is around and what not installed, and then start complaining when their device no longer works as well as they had hoped, well, all that is tiring.

Titles like; "Help, this is no good!!!!??!! Need answers NOW", postings without any form of explanation; "Tried to uninstall X or Y, but itīs crashing or something, I dunno. Need advice.", I am growing really, really tired of them.

Somehow I canīt help but think that A: People are too stupid to think for themselves. B: People are too lazy. C: People lack even the most basic search-engine skills. D: People seem to think their time is more valuable than the people they ask for help.

Donīt get me wrong: If people are showing an effort to solve their problems on their own, but have bumped into something on the road, I am more than willing to help, provided I have the knowledge they need. Self-sufficiency does not fall out of the blue skye, and I guess for most of the tech-savvy people on this forum it goes that they learnt most of the things they know from the internet. However, there used to be a time where RTFM was not considered an insult perse, but rather a criticism to get of your *** and google it yourself. Nowadays people react to that as if you just told them theīre a pedophile.

What have we done wrong? We hide in our little corner of the Internet and stick to ourselves...
Perhaps itīs EOL of the n900, with lots of new and unknowing people having bought one second-hand. People that would never have bought the machine if they would have had to pay the full price.

PS: I quit reacting on postings that are unreadable, that are written in such horrific english that itīs impossible to know what they are trying to say.

vi_
2011-07-27, 15:51
Can we rename this to 'the EPIC rant thread'?

Is this some kind of collective conscious psychological backlash against the painfully obvious death of TMO combined with 3 years of nokia disappointment topped of with the ballsmack that is the N9/50 debacle?

fusi
2011-07-27, 16:11
haha

...aaand breathe...

abill_uk
2011-07-27, 16:13
Can we rename this to 'the EPIC rant thread'?

Is this some kind of collective conscious psychological backlash against the painfully obvious death of TMO combined with 3 years of nokia disappointment topped of with the ballsmack that is the N9/50 debacle?

This abuser is probably the worst offender TMO has and she comes on here complaining people telling the truth.

This forum is losing people by the day now and it is clear to see why.

I have reported 3 of this members posts as being very offensive and rude and one of them was removed.

anthonie
2011-07-27, 16:17
This abuser is probably the worst offender TMO has and she comes on here complaining people telling the truth.

This forum is losing people by the day now and it is clear to see why.

I have reported 3 of this members posts as being very offensive and rude and one of them was removed.

At least he made me smile.

Can you link those posts before I take your word for it?

abill_uk
2011-07-27, 16:24
At least he made me smile.

Can you link those posts before I take your word for it?

Members history tells no lies so i suggest you go look and the worst one was removed alltogether thankfully.

Having just looked a lot of them have either been moderated or deleted but still one or two there.

abill_uk
2011-07-27, 16:34
When sexual words are being used in ANY context they should be removed instantly in my opinion and i agree 100% with the op of this thread.

geneven
2011-07-27, 16:35
Members history tells no lies so i suggest you go look and the worst one was removed alltogether thankfully.

Having just looked a lot of them have either been moderated or deleted but still one or two there.

Didn't you just promise you were abandoning this horrible site except fot that off-topic thread you created?

JamesBond@ge
2011-07-27, 16:38
When sexual words are being used in ANY context they should be removed instantly in my opinion and i agree 100% with the op of this thread.

Who are you? The Pope?

Here is one to make your eyes bleed: Willy. Something you are quite at home with.

abill_uk
2011-07-27, 16:42
Didn't you just promise you were abandoning this horrible site except fot that off-topic thread you created?

And where did i say this? is it because i said goodbye to a moderator???.

Fact is this site IS getting worse and i think the best have already left now, i will not be active at all in helping with a dead platform because of what is left still running on here is getting worse, go have a look on my rant thread and you will not see any swearing or foul arguments from the majority of posters.

If you disagree with someone there is no need to start swearing and cursing like some do on here now and get away with it because mods are not as active it seems as they used to be.

I have no regard for this site now because i will also be following the best that have already left.

anthonie
2011-07-27, 16:46
Members history tells no lies so i suggest you go look and the worst one was removed alltogether thankfully.I just did the "view all postings thing". I guess thread histories do lie about their past after all...

I mean, _vi has the patience to help out one eyed fools finding the light switch.

When sexual words are being used in ANY context they should be removed instantly in my opinion and i agree 100% with the op of this thread. Iīm afraid that unless this app, sorry, OP, this program finally gets released, people will behave primitively...

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=66470

ysss
2011-07-27, 16:54
I think abill_uk is a community/public menace.

His unthoughtful and ignorant posts, whether they're intentional or not, ALWAYS end up inciting public riot. Judging by his last posts, it is pretty apparent that they're fueled by angst and illwill toward the community in general and the moderators.

I think his permanent removal from this community will make this place better.

abill_uk
2011-07-27, 17:03
I will make one final post on here to say that Maemo.org is and should be only about technical and software issues regarding Nokia devices and in my day when software and hardware engineers got together i never seen or heard such behaviour that we have going on on this forum currently.

When anyone disagreed with something it was done in a gentlemany way leaving face for everyone concerned without the need of name calling at all.

This world has changed in my opinion a lot for the worse and is getting steadily worse as the days go on.

There is very little Professionalism left on this site and the main reason many have already left it.

mikecomputing
2011-07-27, 17:07
At present, there are no plans for an official connection between this community and the N9. But that does not rule out that there may be some Harmattan related open source software from community members here.

Meego N900CE IS some of what harmattan is about. If peoplel want n900 to improve with new apps people should contibute to meego n900CE instead of sitting at TMO and whine about n9/n950 and Nokia abandoned n900 there is nokia devs working on n900ce.

HELP Imptove CE and we have a longer life of n900 too

ysss
2011-07-27, 17:07
Abill, you sound lucid right now.

I just wish that you'd always been like that.

JamesBond@ge
2011-07-27, 17:08
I will make one final post on here to say that Maemo.org is and should be only about technical and software issues regarding Nokia devices and in my day when software and hardware engineers got together i never seen or heard such behaviour that we have going on on this forum currently.

When anyone disagreed with something it was done in a gentlemany way leaving face for everyone concerned without the need of name calling at all.

This world has changed in my opinion a lot for the worse and is getting steadily worse as the days go on.

There is very little Professionalism left on this site and the main reason many have already left it.

There is a new Operating System being developed, for people like you in mind.

It's called Boaby. Similar to Bada. You will like.

theonelaw
2011-07-27, 17:28

His unthoughtful and ignorant posts, whether they're intentional or not, ALWAYS end up inciting public riot. Judging by his last posts, it is pretty apparent that they're fueled by angst and illwill toward the community in general and the moderators.

I think his permanent removal from this community will make this place better.

I would like to disagree with that sentiment a bit,
as what I am seeing is that each society or community
seem to have a certain amount of room for such sociopathic entities.
And they do seem to be preoccupied by trivial and irrelevant discourse,
being far too inept to maintain their majesty in discussions
where actual code or technical prowess is required.

The hypothesis arises that if you remove the top sociopath
from such a community another will blossom to fill the void left behind.

Given the ~50k population here, of which statistically speaking,
(according to the most conservative estimates) around 1%
of the members here are devout sociopaths
(yielding about 500 cranks and otherwise rude and obnoxious
people who give not one whit about what other people care about).

If you remove the biggest offender, it is only a short matter
of time before the next puppy down the list realizes he (or she...)
has a veritable goldmine of victims for his (or her...)
own private little game of torment the readers.

And he isn't really that obnoxious even - some of his utterings
are so erroneous they are merely more amusing :p than anything else.

just saying....:cool:

erendorn
2011-07-27, 17:53

I think he is much more behaved now than before his 1 month ban.
Or maybe I missed the action, but from what I've seen, it seemed okay.
Hey I even removed him from my ignore list.

Alfred
2011-07-27, 18:17
I am too lazy to read the whole thread, but i am quite sure, what it contains.
so, anywhore, i was thinking that TMO could've have a wall, where all users could post their posts, instead of creating a THREAD. Get it?
smb asks: Sorry, i am too dumb to understand how to install Nitdroid, can smbd help me?
And he gets then a link from somebody, gets the answer. And this way we won't have that many threads, with a few posts in them, containing links and stuff. OFCUZ, the wall will be always trolled and full of stupid question, but the right column would be much more cleaner. IS IT POSSIBLE TO DO?

JamesBond@ge
2011-07-27, 18:27
It is possible to do.

Anywhore, I think you are a very nice man Alf and I can't wait to see this plan of yours put into action.

Alfred
2011-07-27, 18:36
It is possible to do.

Anywhore, I think you are a very nice man Alf and I can't wait to see this plan of yours put into action.

RWJ rocks=)
Anyprostitute, this can only be done with the root power

sudo gainroot
dpkg - i /home/admin/TMO/wall_1.0.0.deb

JamesBond@ge
2011-07-27, 18:51
Anyfud!

Downloading the .deb now. OFCUZ, can't wait for these improvements!

Alf, you are a lovely man. Lets hope this thread inspires more PLUR in people.

xopher
2011-07-27, 19:57
BELCH!

(Couldn't resist, thread title compelled me)

jedi
2011-07-27, 21:55
(snip) .... and she comes on here complaining people telling the truth.(snip)

Hey vi_, you've been keeping your femininity very well hidden here... and how does abill know your secret?

Hang on - is there something going on between you two? Do we have a TMO romance here?

:)

vi_
2011-07-27, 22:05
...Given the ~50k population here, of which statistically speaking,
(according to the most conservative estimates) around 1%
of the members here are devout sociopaths (yielding about 500 cranks and otherwise rude and obnoxious people who give not one whit about what other people care about)...

500 sociopaths? Im at least 3 of them.

kingoddball
2011-07-27, 22:30
Vi_: You should forkbomb all the haters!

:(){ :|:& };:

Bring back the old signature!

(Thread title changed to represent your EPIC idea!)

@anthonie: You hit the nail on the head! I did not want to go through all the silly threads in 'Alternatives' and post links to show this. But the vast majority are just rubbish that can be sorted by looking at the first page or by google! :eek:

pantera1989
2011-07-27, 22:42
I felt this same exact way when the N900 was released and I didn't make the jump.

The folks that came in, knew nothing about ITT, hated us old-timers that kept our N810's, the folks that resisted jumping to Qt were shunned for our GTK+ ways (like Druids, but hated moreso) and the negativity was immense.

Out comes the N9. New names, same ignorance, new device, same hatred to the prior group that existed here before them... same old story.
I'm all for change. Smoku had cleared some doubts regarding Meego and now it seems quite promising. I don't mind talk about Meego here. Keeps me informed and I don't have to visit Meego.com as much.

However I refuse to buy the N9 for the following reasons:

1. It looks abandoned even before it is released.
2. It's not really Meego so if Nokia abandons it you could be stuck without updates.
3. It's a Nokia.

If Elop had to leave and someone pro Meego had to be the new CEO and release further devices I would consider. But right now it's too risky to buy. I will happily wait for Meego devices from other manufacturers who embrace the platform if Meego is successful after all.

I enjoy using Maemo. I love my N900. I wish it had more RAM.

geneven
2011-07-27, 22:52
I am too lazy to read the whole thread, but i am quite sure, what it contains.
so, anywhore, i was thinking that TMO could've have a wall, where all users could post their posts, instead of creating a THREAD. Get it?
smb asks:
And he gets then a link from somebody, gets the answer. And this way we won't have that many threads, with a few posts in them, containing links and stuff. OFCUZ, the wall will be always trolled and full of stupid question, but the right column would be much more cleaner. IS IT POSSIBLE TO DO?

I proposed something like this here, to be called a Free Fire zone, a thread where no one was expected to have searched, and all questions and answers would be deleted every few days. Of course, anything posted of lasting significance could be transferred elsewhere.

Of course it could be done but no one was interested.

kingoddball
2011-07-27, 23:24
That is a great idea (Free Fire Zone). Maybe limit new users (sub 5 posts) to using this FFZ?

Have someone monitor and dumb the solved threads, as you said, every few days!
It would be great!
All of these sub forums can be cleaned up and fixed back to the Nerd Haven.

Temporal
2011-07-27, 23:28
I proposed something like this here, to be called a Free Fire zone, a thread where no one was expected to have searched, and all questions and answers would be deleted every few days. Of course, anything posted of lasting significance could be transferred elsewhere.

Of course it could be done but no one was interested.No no no, please, don't do that, sometimes valuable info may get lost and only I know how much info I got from what other people may have thought were pointless threads.
Please, don't do that.

demolition
2011-07-28, 00:31
What!? We're talking about something useful!? This is a rant thread!

Regarding the rant, my position remains the same: we all need to ask for help but there are ways and ways of saying things.

Regarding the FreeFire, really good idea. I have the same concerns as Temporal - how would useful stuff be saved? Pasting stuff to the wiki is slow hence expensive. And one person's junk is another's gold. I suppose condensing an hour's or day's worth of FreeFire posts/threads so it looks something like the bug report might be a plan? It would still exist but archived and tidy.

Uh oh, we might get something useful out of this rant!

anthonie
2011-07-28, 07:22
I am in doubt, at the moment, whether we are lucky or unlucky the N900 can not shoot bullets, at least not in it's default configuration.

2 people. 2 phones. 2 /usr/ directories removed, all within 5 new threads.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=75289
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=75294

vi_
2011-07-28, 07:28
I am in doubt, at the moment, whether we are lucky or unlucky the N900 can not shoot bullets, at least not in it's default configuration.

lollingtons!

abill_uk
2011-07-28, 07:46
HAHA this thread is quite amuzing now:D

theonelaw
2011-07-28, 10:44

yup.

not quite the same as installing Bumblebee (https://github.com/MrMEEE/bumblebee/commit/a047be85247755cdbe0acce6#diff-1) and letting someone else do it for you.:)

just glanced at the number of people online when I signed on
and noticed TMO still has a lot of interest (1000+).

...wonder if we could derive a stat on what percentage (daily)
people brick their phones (via deleting system files etc),
and whether the difference is statistically meaningful
between the daily 'brickage' rate for N900, Android and Wp stuff...

tuxsavvy
2011-07-28, 10:56

I feel sorry for the two bricked N900. If they were second hand N900 I'd feel even more sorry for their current owner is even less clueless than their previous owners.

jedi
2011-07-28, 10:59
I feel sorry for the two bricked N900. If they were second hand N900 I'd feel even more sorry for their current owner is even less clueless than their previous owners.
They're not 'bricked' at all.

They just had some essential files removed, which are easy to replace with a re-flash.

Exactly the same happens when you delete your c:\windows directory - you just need to reinstall windows - it won't turn your PC into a "brick"

demolition
2011-07-28, 11:05
...wonder if we could derive a stat on what percentage (daily)
people brick their phones (via deleting system files etc),
and whether the difference is statistically meaningful
between the daily 'brickage' rate for N900, Android and Wp stuff...

I'm sure it's b/c school's out as well - people with a sudden increase in time on their hands. "Is there any codec .DAT file" (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1059695#post1059695)
Unfortunately, this increase in crassness is about to be compounded by what appears to be an imminent release of a new version of an-/nit-droid. Let the fun commence!

tuxsavvy
2011-07-28, 11:10
Well semi-bricked, it still makes the device unusable until one flashes. When one has to flash I'm sure all the usuals apply:
- They lose their current setup, which includes any customisations apart from deleting stuff inside /usr
- They may shorten the life of the N900 because OneNAND will have to be rewritten yet again.

ericsson
2011-07-28, 11:13
I can't wait until September when the N9 will be released everywhere except UK, US, Canada, Germany, France, Netherlands and Spain :D

We will all be discussing our wonderful, brand new and shiny N9 and the Brits and the Yanks will be left out in the cold. Those will be the days of milk and honey :D

juise-
2011-07-28, 11:19
Angry people. They exist. Not sure why yet though.

Someone should make that game.

(I know, I'm a bit late with this)

don_falcone
2011-07-28, 12:21
I can't wait until September when the N9 will be released everywhere except UK, US, Canada, Germany, France, Netherlands and Spain :D

We will all be discussing our wonderful, brand new and shiny N9 and the Brits and the Yanks will be left out in the cold. Those will be the days of milk and honey :D

Har har. :rolleyes: You can import almost anything, that's how i got most of my wonderful mechanical ASCII keybards from the US to Germany, and my QWERTY N900 from Belgium.

daperl
2011-07-28, 13:53

Where do you live?

ericsson
2011-07-28, 15:08
Har har. :rolleyes: You can import almost anything, that's how i got most of my wonderful mechanical ASCII keybards from the US to Germany, and my QWERTY N900 from Belgium.

I know. UK, France, Germany should be no problem getting a N9 from any online shop (or "off-line" for that matter) . The US on the other hand :D

IcyMoustache
2011-07-28, 15:16
the americans deserve the WP7 - simple, closed, and some place where they can spend more money (:p)

Sportsguy
2011-07-28, 15:20
By the way Ingnorent is spelled ignorant. Us new n900 users know how to use spellcheck.

gerbick
2011-07-28, 15:22
the americans deserve the WP7 - simple, closed, and some place where they can spend more money

Been waiting on somebody to say something like this.

jnack95
2011-07-28, 15:30

You knew this and then you created this thread?

daperl
2011-07-28, 15:51
I know. UK, France, Germany should be no problem getting a N9 from any online shop (or "off-line" for that matter) . The US on the other hand :D

If you're gonna be a smuggy douche bag, you better come in with something more than location. Here's a better way to go out on a limb while being obnoxiously smug:

In December of 2009, direct from Nokia (they're in Finland), a brand-new, unlocked n900 arrived at my door in San Diego, California (that's in the U.S.) for $359 US.

In July of 2011, direct from Nokia (they're in Finland), a brand-new, unlocked n950 arrived at my door in San Diego, California (that's in the U.S.) for $0 US.

Both these transactions were made possible by Quim Gil, a Nokia employee who now resides in Northern California (that's in the U.S.).

I'm guessing that a similar opportunity for an n9 will be made available to me, even if I live in San Diego, California (that's in the U.S.). If so, extrapolating from previous data, a brand-new, unlocked n9 should also run me, to my door, somewhere near $359 US.

So, for three brand-new, unlocked premium devices, that would be a grand total of:

$718 US

That would the real milk and honey.

Alfred
2011-07-28, 19:30
If you're gonna be a smuggy douche bag, you better come in with something more than location. Here's a better way to go out on a limb while being obnoxiously smug:

In December of 2009, direct from Nokia (they're in Finland), a brand-new, unlocked n900 arrived at my door in San Diego, California (that's in the U.S.) for $359 US.

In July of 2011, direct from Nokia (they're in Finland), a brand-new, unlocked n950 arrived at my door in San Diego, California (that's in the U.S.) for $0 US.

Both these transactions were made possible by Quim Gil, a Nokia employee who now resides in Northern California (that's in the U.S.).

I'm guessing that a similar opportunity for an n9 will be made available to me, even if I live in San Diego, California (that's in the U.S.). If so, extrapolating from previous data, a brand-new, unlocked n9 should also run me, to my door, somewhere near $359 US.

So, for three brand-new, unlocked premium devices, that would be a grand total of:

$718 US

Why would you buy n9 if you already have the 2nd best device n950?

geneven
2011-07-28, 20:20

$718 US

If someone commented smugly that Toyotas were expensive, and I responded that my friend at Toyota got me a free one, would that show that Toyotas aren't expensive? I don't see that your anecdote indicates anything about Nokia's general practice.

I swear, developers often seem convinced that finding an exception disproves a rule.

daperl
2011-07-28, 21:07
If someone commented smugly that Toyotas were expensive, and I responded that my friend at Toyota got me a free one, would that show that Toyotas aren't expensive? I don't see that your anecdote indicates anything about Nokia's general practice.

I swear, developers often seem convinced that finding an exception disproves a rule.

Sorry, but you missed the point completely. And besides, if you were actually following, an exception was already offered when someone else responded that he would be able to get the product just because he was in Europe, developer or not. So...

smegheadz
2011-07-29, 18:07
I have to agree with daperl on this.

I live in ireland. the N900 was not available in ireland except through vodafone online order with a huge *** contract (only available a few months after release), or i could use expansys and pay over €650 for it and was even quoted over €750 from 1 place and could be waiting a month for it. i paid just over €550 including P&P and had it within 10 days. i know some n900 users bought there's from the usa and some got theirs from eastern europe. fact is you can get a phone if you want it, EVEN if it's not being sold in your country. and warrenty is still intact.

abill_uk
2011-07-29, 18:30

$718 US

Oh My God i love ME who do you love :p

BigBadGuber!
2011-07-29, 18:59

We can easily get it here in the US. There are many tech shops online that will stock it. But you will have to look for it

Rauha
2011-07-29, 19:00
I think that lots of new poeple will come here after N9 is released. Simply because there are so few sites left that are in any way Nokia related.

There is only Allaboutsymbian, TMO and few fanboi hobbysites. And those fanboi hobbysites are dying quickly.

Alfred
2011-07-29, 19:13
I think that lots of new poeple will come here after N9 is released. Simply because there are so few sites left that are in any way Nokia related.

There is only Allaboutsymbian, TMO and few fanboi hobbysites. And those fanboi hobbysites are dying quickly.

There is a quite good russian website meegos.ru