PDA

View Full Version : Hands-on with a prototype Intel Mobile Internet Device

ioan
2007-07-11, 20:55
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070710-hands-on-with-a-prototype-intel-mobile-internet-device.html

-ioan

LosOutlandos
2007-07-12, 22:20
looks interesting (the technology, not the butt-ugly design), but i don't think this would compete directly with the tablets because it seems much larger/heavier.

Rocketman
2007-07-12, 22:33
That thing is huge, expensive and ugly. In short, they have created a Linux based UMPC.

iball
2007-07-12, 22:44
While I applaud the use of Linux, I detest the massive build and weight.
Of course, this IS only a prototype and hardware changes could come down the pipe so that the final product might look nothing like this.
But compared to this, I'll stay with my N800, thank you very much.

Milhouse
2007-07-12, 22:50
That thing is huge, expensive and ugly. In short, they have created a Linux based UMPC.

Did you actually read the article? Not only is there no mention of a price, but the device being discussed is a tech demonstrator. :rolleyes:

The device is still considered a technology development prototype, and the final version will not be shipped with the exact same configuration as the prototype. In fact, this prototype was accompanied with warnings that it had not been tested to conform to any FCC regulations or their international counterparts.

Shipping products will almost certainly be smaller, lighter, sexier.

phi
2007-07-13, 00:07
hopefully it relies more on finger or mouse input rather than stylus

gerbick
2007-07-13, 00:15
Looks interesting... I'm quite sure it'll be slimmed down, like the current crop of UMPC's are getting smaller; however... I'm not sold. They'd need to offer something that's more promising and hopefully portable.

Sorta surprised they're not bucking the trend and going with something that's Silverlight based - Microsoft needs to pimp that a bit more.