PDA

View Full Version : Overclocking the N9/N950

sabresh
2011-08-18, 13:18
Hi Guys,

Will the N9/N950 be overclockable as the N900 was ? I keep reading about this security framework (Aegis), does this cause any issues ?

If not, do we have any progress information on overclocking thr N950:) ?

Thanks

funkmunk
2011-08-19, 17:54
I think it should be possible to overclock the N9 too as the OMAP chips can be easily overclocked through proper software...just wait for a new members to get their hands on the N9 and u will have ur wish fulfilled...

BigBadGuber!
2011-08-19, 18:01
Hi Guys,

Will the N9/N950 be overclockable as the N900 was ? I keep reading about this security framework (Aegis), does this cause any issues ?

If not, do we have any progress information on overclocking thr N950:) ?

Thanks

Why would you want to do that?

mirciox
2011-08-19, 18:06

Why wouldn't he?

tissot
2011-08-19, 18:14

Do we need to do that one of the most epic thread and longest this forum has ever had, again?
Just like N900/Maemo 5, N9/N950/Harmattan got OS that will always benefit from boost as both have live multitasking on the very core of UI.
If you are going to keep the device, will not go bankrupt if the device fries itself(non where verified on the epic N900 overclocking thread), why not.

I have had N900 running on 900mhz-1ghz since the first day this finnish guy(sorry can't remember you name) released his overclocking kernel back in last year around March.
It transformer the N900 to another device that could play most of the flash content with no lag, made the video out awesome and not laggy, made the N64 emulator awesome, made the multitasking awesome, made the UI speed awesome etc.

All this with better battery life than my previous non overclocked N900 because of the lowered voltages.

smegheadz
2011-08-19, 18:48
just thinking about it. the N9 is basicly improved hardware with the same os, the core of maemo 5 is there, so i can imagine an overclocked n900 at 1ghz will compare to the n9, obviously this isn't fully accurate but it is a good indication of what the performance will be like. going by what has been seen with multi-tasking i'm impressed. i can only imagine how smooth it would be with a few hundred mhz added on top.

mirciox
2011-08-19, 19:27
It will be even faster because of the 1 GB of RAM.
The thing I like most about my N900 is that it has great community support, overclocking capabilities, lots of ways to customise it, multiboot and so on, and this is the only thing that another phone couldn't offer me before it, and that's why I've kept it for over a year: It's the only one that can do so many, even though it doesn't have so many games/apps as symbian, but the apps you can get are REALY usefull. I can't remember the last phone I've kept for such a long period, and if I'll want an upgrade, my dream phone will be an N900 beast with 1 GHz dual core processor and 1 GB RAM. Too bad the N9 doesn't have a qwerty and N950 is a developer phone only.

And on top of that, I bet that if Nokia would have offered full support for the N900 as they promised, a lot of N900 users wouldn't have gotten a new phone for a long time. Too bad that most of the companies think at quantity, not at quality.

sabresh
2011-09-08, 08:04
I got a hands on with a N9 today !! Great great device .. really smooth. Though after using the galaxy s2, the reference point for performance has been raised. I am sure that if we can overclock the N9 to around 1.3 - 1.4 Ghz, it should perform close to the S2 atleast at most common things.

sabresh
2011-09-27, 12:58
Guys, now that the device is shipping, I guess this becomes more important than ever. I am sure a lot of people on this forum want to know about this.

Anyone with any info ?

Hurrian
2011-09-27, 13:12
With the N900 being overclocked to almost 100% of the chip's 600MHz rated speed, I wonder what the OMAP 3630 can pull off -- 1.5? 1.7? 2.0?

slai
2011-09-28, 07:56
*drool* 2.0...

jakiman
2011-10-03, 05:16
SGS1 which uses a similar Cortex A8 1GHz CPU and it was quite stable for most people up to 1.2GHz even with undervolting. The later US variants such as Epic/Fascinate etc could go up to 1.6GHz and some found it perfectly stable up to 1.5GHz. So based on the N9 using something similar, I can make some slightly-educated guesses.

- 1.2GHz should be a guaranteed stable clock frequency IMHO. Might even be considered a perfectly safe overclock as it may hardly put any extra stress on the CPU. It should also give a nice 10%+ boost to app loading times, web page rendering etc.
- 1.4GHz will be stable for some probably. Just guessing here but I reckon it's doable and if lucky, 100% stable for over 50% of people. I wil be very happy if I can achieve this.
- 1.5GHz+ is very uncertain. It all depends on how good the SoC used in the N9 is. But if it is possible and stable, it should give quite a noticeable improvement in performance.

I reckon N9 will show a much more noticeable difference once overclocked compared to N900 due to the huge boost in RAM. My N900 ran at 1.1GHz ALL the time for over a year never missing a beat and although it's definitely noticeable, the lack of RAM limits N900's capacity to multitask bigger apps smoothly. (even a few MicroB browser instances can make N900 laggy)

So someone please make this happen on the N9 like how it was done on the N900!!

sabresh
2011-10-29, 02:41
Hi Guys,
Any progress on the N9 overclock ?

F2thaK
2011-10-29, 02:55
cant wait for this...!

JjyKs
2011-11-10, 07:40
Any new about oc:ing this great phone? :rolleyes:

jalyst
2011-11-14, 06:37
^ Follow the Nokia & AEGIS thread at forum.meego.com.
Only once it gets fully resolved can we talk about OC'ing.

jakiman
2011-11-18, 22:06
There is no source code available for PR1.1 apparently.
Anyways, N9 seems less open/hackable than Android right now.
I guess we just need to wait a bit more and hope this will eventuate.

rafael2k
2012-01-24, 01:21
Hi there people, where can I get the kernel source code?
I'm already using an openmode patched kernel.
Overclock should be very simple, it's just a matter of changing an entry in the omap cpufreq table.

jalyst
2012-01-24, 03:46
Overclock should be very simple, it's just a matter of changing an entry in the omap cpufreq table.

This was discussed in the Nokia & AEGIS thread IIRC.
http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?p=36648#post36648
Should be hosted there, but if not go back a few pages in that thread.
IIRC there's a way to request the DVD with sources etc.

shanic89
2012-01-24, 04:20

Is this what you are after?http://harmattan-dev.nokia.com/pool/harmattan-beta3/free/

rainisto
2012-01-24, 06:15
Even if the cpu would be overclockable, and there's kernel sources out there (http://maemo.cloud-7.de/950/openmode_kernel_PR1.1/unpatched_openmode_kernel/kernel_2.6.32-20113701.10+0m6.tar.gz), most likely the reason why nobody has posted overclocked kernel here, is the fact that system starts freezing/rebooting on higher clockrates because some other parts of the hardware can only handle 1Ghz cpu speeds.

rafael2k
2012-01-24, 13:15
Even if the cpu would be overclockable, and there's kernel sources out there (http://maemo.cloud-7.de/950/openmode_kernel_PR1.1/unpatched_openmode_kernel/kernel_2.6.32-20113701.10+0m6.tar.gz), most likely the reason why nobody has posted overclocked kernel here, is the fact that system starts freezing/rebooting on higher clockrates because some other parts of the hardware can only handle 1Ghz cpu speeds.

Do you have any evidence of what are you saying?
Are you totally guessing or do you really have overclocked your N9/N950? In the case you have overclocked your phone, could you please post the patch?

F2thaK
2012-01-24, 13:26
Hes an infiltrator working for Elop to fight against the N9. He knows its the sh.t and everyone else knows WP7 *is* sh.t.

tissot
2012-01-24, 13:34
Do you have any evidence of what are you saying?
Are you totally guessing or do you really have overclocked your N9/N950? In the case you have overclocked your phone, could you please post the patch?

Thinking that every other Android device with OMAP3640 has been overclocked, dunno what he is talking about.
N900 with OMAP3430 has been running happily on 900Mhz and for 2 months on 1Ghz for a year already on my N900.

Could we just skip this "it will destroy the device" it's not possible" part already. It did take 3 pages on the epic N900 overclocking thread before everybody was overclocking the hell out of the device just some months after it's release.

patlak
2012-01-24, 14:06

Only one hardware "part" is capable of running at 1GHz and above,and that is the Cortex A8. Factory clocks for the 3630 are 800-1200MHz. Droids with the same SoC are easily overclockable and stable.

mariusmssj
2012-01-24, 19:14
I'm quite a heavy overclocker on the computer but don't know much about mobile overclocking, could someone explain what would need to be done and what are current problems that stop people from overclocking it?

jalyst
2012-01-24, 19:42
I'm quite a heavy overclocker on the computer but don't know much about mobile overclocking, could someone explain what would need to be done and what are current problems that stop people from overclocking it?

Check out the epic N900 OC thread to get a feel for what it'd be like for N9.
Don't worry about the earlier post, it was pure speculation...
There's no solid info. yet to suggest it won't OC just as well (if not better).

Arie
2012-01-24, 19:55
Check out the epic N900 OC thread to get a feel for what it'd be like for N9.
Don't worry about the earlier post, it was pure speculation...
There's no solid info. yet to suggest it won't OC just as well (if not better).

Until aegis open mode with 100% functionality isn't available, overclocking the N9 isn't going to be feasible...

jalyst
2012-01-24, 20:04
Read the entire new AEGIS open-mode thread...
As far as I can ascertain from it, there needn't be show-stoppers when it comes OC'ing.
What we're waiting on, is for someone to start experimenting.

But yes there's some issues that need to be resolved, so it's a friendlier env for n00bs.
Else they'll come rocketing into open-mode looking for OC'ing bliss, & run head-on into them.
But there's actually nothing terribly serious, it's almost entirely problem free now.

Arie
2012-01-24, 20:14
Read the entire new AEGIS open-mode thread...
As far as I can ascertain from it, there needn't be show-stoppers when it comes OC'ing.
What we're waiting on, is for someone to start experimenting.

But yes there's some issues that need to be resolved, so it's a friendlier env for n00bs.
Else they'll come rocketing into open-mode looking for OC'ing bliss, & run head-on into them.
But there's actually nothing terribly serious, it's almost entirely problem free now.

Reread the aegis open mode thread... It's clear you have but maybe you skipped over that part... GPS isn't working as are a few other functionalities that are integral to the N9, unless this has changed in under 24 hours I can dig up the post on meego forums handset section and post it if needed...

mariusmssj
2012-01-24, 20:41
Thinking that every other Android device with OMAP3640 has been overclocked, dunno what he is talking about.
N900 with OMAP3430 has been running happily on 900Mhz and for 2 months on 1Ghz for a year already on my N900.

Could we just skip this "it will destroy the device" it's not possible" part already. It did take 3 pages on the epic N900 overclocking thread before everybody was overclocking the hell out of the device just some months after it's release.

That's a 400Mhz overclock O_O and it was all nice and stable???

javispedro
2012-01-24, 22:31
most likely the reason why nobody has posted overclocked kernel here, is the fact that system starts freezing/rebooting on higher clockrates because some other parts of the hardware can only handle 1Ghz cpu speeds.
What usually happens is that the people who know how to do it either do not want or do not care, for many of the reasons that have been posted on many of the previous discussions.

jalyst
2012-01-25, 07:35
Reread the aegis open mode thread... It's clear you have but maybe you skipped over that part... GPS isn't working as are a few other functionalities that are integral to the N9, unless this has changed in under 24 hours I can dig up the post on meego forums handset section and post it if needed...

The MeeGo thread was closed (upon request by me) 7-days ago.
http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?t=4575&page=28

The GPS issue is not the issue it was thought to be...
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1150860#post1150860
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1150996&highlight=GPS#post1150996
None of the new testers since those posts have cited GPS issues.

There's been a raft of new folks that've jumped in since that thread started.
There are issues, but it mostly seems to be working nicely.
Just not nicely enough to be worry-free for less technically inclined folk.

mariusmssj
2012-01-25, 10:33
The MeeGo thread was closed (upon request by me) 7-days ago.
http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?t=4575&page=28

The GPS issue is not the issue it was thought to be...
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1150860#post1150860
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1150996&highlight=GPS#post1150996
None of the new testers since those posts have cited GPS issues.

There's been a raft of new folks that've jumped in since that thread started.
There are issues, but it mostly seems to be working nicely.
Just not nicely enough to be worry-free for less technically inclined folk.

well it's a progress none the less, and it's only a matter of time before we can overclock N9 with no issues!

rafael2k
2012-01-25, 13:43
Until aegis open mode with 100% functionality isn't available, overclocking the N9 isn't going to be feasible...

I'M USING A 100% FULLY FUNCTIONAL N950 IN AEGIS OPEN MODE FOR MORE THEN 2 WEEKS!

Please stop saying open mode is not working...

In the weekend if I find some spare time I'll overclock my N950.

drvar
2012-01-25, 13:47
I'M USING A 100% FULLY FUNCTIONAL N950 IN AEGIS OPEN MODE FOR MORE THEN 2 WEEKS!

So in couple of months we all others who don't understand as much as more skilled and more knowledgeble on this forum will overclock our phones?

rafael2k
2012-01-25, 13:55
So in couple of months we all others who don't understand as much as more skilled and more knowledgeble on this forum will overclock our phones?

I'm pretty confident that yes, may be even faster then that.

rafael2k
2012-01-25, 14:06
I hope we could just do this instead of compiling the kernel:
http://code.google.com/p/milestone-overclock/wiki/Disassembly

But we have no /dev/kmem in our Harmattan...

Arie
2012-01-25, 14:21

Well then it looks like I've been proven wrong...

jalyst
2012-01-25, 14:43
It's good being wrong, I'm wrong on a regular basis.
You learn new things whenever you're wrong :)

biatch0
2012-01-26, 00:00
It's good being wrong, I'm wrong on a regular basis.
You learn new things whenever you're wrong :)Eldar probably has Einstein beat on intelligence by now then :D

mariusmssj
2012-02-13, 19:45
hey guys,
sorry for resurrecting the thread, just wanted to ask if there is any news of the overclocking front?

Dragoss91
2012-03-03, 14:29
hey guys,
sorry for resurrecting the thread, just wanted to ask if there is any news of the overclocking front?

I guess overclocking will be available only in aegis open mode .

HanzBlix
2012-03-06, 12:37
Regarding Aegis, sounds like this Inception might solve that problem.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=82835

mariusmssj
2012-03-13, 14:32
Regarding Aegis, sounds like this Inception might solve that problem.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=82835

looks promising hope to see the results of this soon :D

Dragoss91
2012-03-16, 19:39
I just looked on wikipedia for OMAP 3630 specs and I noticed that the CPU can go to max 1.2GHz , I guess the N900 has underclocked CPU .

HanzBlix
2012-03-17, 04:27
I hope we could just do this instead of compiling the kernel:
http://code.google.com/p/milestone-overclock/wiki/Disassembly

But we have no /dev/kmem in our Harmattan...

There's etc/pmconfig in n9 just like the n900, but modifying it on my stock kernel doesn't seem to do the job alone, I did reboot after modifying, and upon booting the file was still modified, just freq didn't actually reflect the file, maybe in open mode? Would love for ya to try.....
I saw on kernel power 50's I think update list something about removing nokia code for locking(maybe that code blocks the change taking effect), but not sure if its related since kernel powers so choc full of add-ons..

HanzBlix
2012-03-17, 04:45
etc/pmconfig:
#Power management configuration file
disable_core_off 0
enable_off_mode 1
sleep_while_idle 1
sr_vdd1_autocomp 1
sr_vdd2_autocomp 1
clocks_off_while_idle 1
voltage_off_while_idle 1
scaling_governor ondemand
scaling_max_freq 1000000
scaling_min_freq 300000
sleep_ind 1

I still can't help but think there's more involved than changing the settings in this file, even with open mode. But it's a guess.
scaling_max_freq 1000000 obviously = 1ghz

Edit: ok I see one tiny, tiny piece of the puzzle as I now see.

jakiman
2012-03-19, 10:58
I just don't understand when they don't release something just because someone stupid might overclock their phone and chuck it in an oven while running a prime 95 test. That never happened to N900 (not afaik) and many many many Android phones all over the world are running happily overclocked. (but still can't multitask like N900/N9!)

If some unlucky sod gets their phone somehow damaged physically by overclocking, that's just unlucky. Nothing more. Most likely, it would have died even without overclocking anyways.

I'm just ranting about this post below:
http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?t=5789

patlak
2012-03-19, 13:47
I just looked on wikipedia for OMAP 3630 specs and I noticed that the CPU can go to max 1.2GHz , I guess the N900 has underclocked CPU .

1.2 GHz is one of the factory supported frequencies. Stock range is 800-1200. It should be able to clock higher than 1.2GHz.

GrimyHR
2012-03-19, 13:53
1.2 GHz is one of the factory supported frequencies. Stock range is 800-1200. It should be able to clock higher than 1.2GHz.

same soc as one in n9 clocks up to 1.3-1.4GHz max in motorolas(that is for stable, some go a bit higher but most are unstable then) so that is probably the max you can expect

HanzBlix
2012-03-19, 15:00
mmm makes you wonder why people are into open source stuff like Linux when they're so opposed to sharing, not the first time he's taken that viewpoint, but he made a good point I guess, you don't want to be the guy held responsible for frying other peoples phones, thoroughly testing an over clock would be quite the time commitment. At the same time though, anyone capable of flashing their phone knows they have to take responsibility for the risk they take doing it, same should apply for over clocking.
Weird thing I found with rafael2k's idea, which is really appealing since it could be done on stock kernels, this /dev/kmem that we're missing and hence is stopping that route, well the reason /dev/kmem has been removed from most Linux distributions is because it's potentially a major security hole, for root kits specifically.
Trust google to have such shoddy security eh.
We really just need someone capable of doing custom kernels that actually believes in open source principles to release a kernel.

HanzBlix
2012-03-20, 04:24
Ok I need to bounce this off of someone that actually knows about this stuff, I looked deeper at the milestone over clock that rafael2k found, well it turns out the app they made supports any android phone using Omap3, so the source code for the module itself is actually a collection of modules for other Omap3 phones as well, the one I'm taking interest in is the Droid X one since it also uses the 3630, now besides adjusting it to be loadable in our kernel, I'm wondering if it's just a matter of changing the two physical memory address's or any other minor tweaks and boom, right?
I think I'm game to test it.....

bnwg
2012-03-20, 15:25
If regarding to overclock stuff for milestone, here is another link that might have more info about the project

http://android.doshaska.net/2.6.32oc

kabaldan (or nadlabak) is the well-known dev that makes our milestone's life extended for 2 years more (yes, my previous handset is milestone and it is still being used by me for some applications).

Hopefully the info from the link (and the links insides) could give more hints on how to overclock N9/N950 and improve the performance by overclocking the clock speed, undervolting voltage for saving more battery juice (too low voltage would cause bootloop though) and the governor stuff (seems the governor for N9 default as ondemand).

The overclock for milestone first appeared and installed as apps and then embedded into custom rom for flashing (stuff usually in /system/lib/modules and /system/etc/init.d).

Really looking forward to the overclock for N9/N950

Creamy Goodness
2012-03-30, 19:17
Hey so I decided to try this since nobody has released anything yet and with inception, aegisctl and PR1.2 sources available there is no reason to wait longer.
I won't release any binaries until it is confirmed working though, and it's not quite working yet. We have a stupid kernel version nobody else has so it's not quite as simple as just compiling some android module. I tried to start with the cleanest and most up-to-date one I could find at least.
To do this "my way" there is no reflashing, just install inception and the related tools, then you can insmod the two required kernel modules and use a sysfs interface to set the cpu speed.
If anyone knows c and wants to help, the source is here:
https://gitorious.org/opptimizer-n9/opptimizer-n9/blobs/master/n9/opptimizer.c
If you compile and insmod it you can set the rate but it doesn't actually "stick" as far as i can tell because if I set it to 1.2ghz and read it right away it's saying 1.0ghz. I have no clue where to ask for help with this stuff, as usual the meego forum is dead.
It's based on this one:https://github.com/tekahuna/opptimizer/blob/0.1-beta1/opptimizer.c

HanzBlix
2012-04-01, 02:19
For anyone who follows this thread and hasn't cottoned on as yet, you must, I repeat MUST check out this new thread :D

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=83357