PDA

View Full Version : MPlayer - "Unable to Install MPlayer" help please

Roofaloof
2007-07-12, 04:55
Just wanted to say this forum has been very helpful in getting to know my new 770. Up until now I've searched around and been able to run and install everything I wanted.

I tried to install MPlayer today. I first installed Python 2.5 This didn't seem to work, but it does show up in my installed applications. I then tried to install the latest MPlayer. The one click on its homepage says "not found" and when I downloaded the .deb to the card and tried to install it says "Unable to install MPlayer". It doesn't even give a list of missing libraries. Can anyone help with this?

Serge
2007-07-12, 20:07
Just wanted to say this forum has been very helpful in getting to know my new 770. Up until now I've searched around and been able to run and install everything I wanted.

I tried to install MPlayer today. I first installed Python 2.5 This didn't seem to work, but it does show up in my installed applications. I then tried to install the latest MPlayer. The one click on its homepage says "not found"
That's strange and shouldn't happen. The only problem you can encounter with single click installer is lack of agreement for mistral/scirocco/gregale 'distribution' repository keyword for various OS2006 applications :(

MPlayer specifies 'mistral' in its .install file for 'extras' repository, other applications may use 'gregale'. Once you try to install two applications with incompatible 'distribution' keywords, the first one gets installed and the other one fails with error. Nevertheless, on installing the first application, the repository is registered in the application manager with all the other software it contains, you can use it to install any additional programs by selecting them in the list without the need to use any other .install files.

and when I downloaded the .deb to the card and tried to install it says "Unable to install MPlayer". It doesn't even give a list of missing libraries. Can anyone help with this?
MPlayer does not need any extra dependencies and uses only the libraries that are always available on the device.

fatherb
2007-08-08, 14:45
I am getting the same 'unable to install mplayer' error on my n770.

Have tried the one click, downloading them separately and installing from application manager, but still get the same error.

Does anyone have a fix for this?

Serge
2007-08-08, 15:35
I am getting the same 'unable to install mplayer' error on my n770.

Have tried the one click, downloading them separately and installing from application manager, but still get the same error.

Does anyone have a fix for this?
Please try starting x terminal, run 'apt-get install mplayer' as root and post here its output.