PDA

View Full Version : Before I buy a 770 I just want to double check

rawfish
2007-07-12, 20:58
I have been eyeing the 770 and the n800 for a while. With the recent price drop on the 770 I am ready to buy it. I have done a bunch of research and just wanted to triple check something before I purchase it.
1. Does maemo mapper with the appropriate gps receiver provide turn by turn voice directions like a standard automotive navigation system. or will i still need something like that for my occassional recreational driving road trips?
2. Does the n770 play videos/music which I downloaded to a memory card sufficiently to replace an mp3/video player when I dont want to lug around both?
3. Are there decent games that work on the n770 or is that a problem?
Thanks

airhurt
2007-07-12, 21:38
1. I think it CAN, but I havent tried it.

2. I wouldn't say videos (cause I havent tried) but the MP3 play, absolutely.

3. There are some games to keep you busy.

Karel Jansens
2007-07-12, 21:56
I have been eyeing the 770 and the n800 for a while. With the recent price drop on the 770 I am ready to buy it. I have done a bunch of research and just wanted to triple check something before I purchase it.
1. Does maemo mapper with the appropriate gps receiver provide turn by turn voice directions like a standard automotive navigation system. or will i still need something like that for my occassional recreational driving road trips?
2. Does the n770 play videos/music which I downloaded to a memory card sufficiently to replace an mp3/video player when I dont want to lug around both?
3. Are there decent games that work on the n770 or is that a problem?
Thanks

Most of your questions are answered here:

http://maemo.org/community/wiki

and here

http://maemo.org/community/wiki/howto/

I can answer question 2: Yes, the 770 does play video decently, but the maximum resolution it supports is 352x288 and I don't think it will support that at full framerate. If you install mplayer, higher resolutions are possible, at lower framerates. I found the playback of the 770 quite acceptable, but not on par with what the N800 can do.

The 770's music playback is flawless through earphones or an external speaker. Through the onboard speaker it is acceptable.

bac522
2007-07-13, 00:11
I can answer question 2: Yes, the 770 does play video decently, but the maximum resolution it supports is 352x288 and I don't think it will support that at full framerate.

I get full framerates at that resolutions, or at least when using mplayer. Also on a 4" screen that resolution is more then acceptable.

Karel Jansens
2007-07-13, 12:56
I get full framerates at that resolutions, or at least when using mplayer. Also on a 4" screen that resolution is more then acceptable.

I was referring to the built in player, but I agree that the latest incarnations of mplayer are remarkably better than that player.

As to the resolution on a small screen: For me, bigger is always better, but on the N800 -- and even more so on the 770 -- one has to weigh off the advantage of higher resolution to the storage space available: I don't think it would be possible to cram an 800x480 movie in less than 700 mb without making it utterly unwatchable due to the low bitrate.

So 400x240 is plenty okay by me: my converted movies average out at 350 MB, which means that I can get enough eyecandy on my 4 GB card to make a twelve hour flight bearable (the inflight booze also helps :p ).