PDA

View Full Version : Help with Winzig and N800

imaredr
2007-07-12, 21:44
I installed Winzig and my IT said that it was installed successfully. However when I open the application, I get a loading msg box and after 15 seconds the box disappears and no application is opened. I have been reading around and it seems that most people are using GPE. So is this simploy by choice or is there a problem with the N800 and Winzig? I have the lastest upgrade installed and so far every application I have installed works great. Any info is appreciated.

jurop88
2007-07-12, 23:08
I never tried winzig on N800, on n770 it works flawlessy. Sometimes it fails to start if python was not already running due to a too long loading time and subsequent kill by the watchdog.
Have you alredy tried to start it from an xterm?

imaredr
2007-07-12, 23:11
That I haven't tried. Another thing is that I never thought python had to be running. Thought it was automatic. Thanks for your help. I will try this again.

jurop88
2007-07-13, 00:55
Yes, it is automatic, but sometimes - on N770 and depending on system load - the operation times out and get caught by the watchdog. Another problem could be perhaps in some differences between python versions - perhaps i`ll try to install winzig on my n800, too, and have a look

imaredr
2007-07-13, 01:29
Jurop88,

Thanks, I don't want you to be put out. My problem is that
I get obssessed about things. I've had a great run so far in upgrading and installing items. It could be the upgrade frm last week, who knows, but so far for me the upgrade has been great.

I think I will get a Linux book and start schooling. I used X Term, but by only following instructions for the SDHC hack. So I will read (I have most of the posts on this site) some more and do some more google research and see what I can see.

Basically I am just really greatful that someone here reached out. I'll let you know what happens.

jurop88
2007-07-13, 07:55
I tried it on N800 and from xterm it simply works. If you try to launch it using its icon, it doesn't start, I think due to timeout reasons and watchdog cancelling it. Perhaps (has somebody else other hints?) Nokia lowered the timeout for applications start in the latest firmware (if such a feature exist, I think so)?

- edit

forgot to mention that you can just type winzig in xterm...

imaredr
2007-07-13, 21:55
jurop88,

Tried it from Xterm and yes now it works. Thanks for that command. I really appreciate your help.

Thanks again