PDA

View Full Version : Necessary To Becomeroot To Download & Install All Programs?

Eldemila
2007-07-12, 22:46
Just got my Nokia like many others recently and haven't installed anything on it.:o

I was curious :confused: to know if you need to becomeroot to download all programs, or, if there are some programs that you can just download directly onto the Nokia 770 without gaining root?

For instance, on MAEMO under GAMES they have a program called Battlegweled that has the green click to install arrow. From my 770, could I just click on that arrow and have it install the program directly on to my 770 without having done any modifications or adding anything to my Nokia?

If not, exactly what steps would I have to do to properly install this particular program?

I'm happy to learn if need be, but not having to becomeroot if I don't have to would be great, I'm afraid of screwing up the 770 :eek: (I have a knack for doing stuff like that) But, if I have to becomeroot in order to have this game (or a few others I'm interested in) then can someone tell me what the very first step would have to be to do so.

Really appreciate anyone who replies - trying to teach this old dog a new trick.

THANKS!:)

brendan
2007-07-12, 22:58
most apps can be installed without needing root access. the one click installs will open the app manager, add the repository if needed and install the app requested and it dependencies.

you can open the app manager by going to the menu-tools-application manager. search on maemo.org for the repositories that you can use for the 770.

Eldemila
2007-07-12, 23:39
Thanks, that's definitely helpful to know. If I later want to download programs that do require I become root, will it in any way affect those programs that are directly installed?

Is the maemo site the only place to find applications for the Nokia 770? Will any other types of applications not specifically created for the Nokia 770 work on it, or does it have to be specifically written for the 770? Do you have to becomeroot before adding any repositories should I decide to go that route in the future? There's a few games on the maemo site that aren't an instant install that I'd really like to have!

Last (at least for now):) if/when I get a bigger mmc card, can I just switch it to the card that came with it originally without having to do anything else. Will I lose any of the programs I install between now and getting the new card? I know if I save information, like a picture, that will (probably) go, but programs?

I don't plan on having a lot of "stuff" on here. I basically want it to check email. search Google, play some games to kill some time while waiting for a plane, an appt., etc. Read some ebooks, if I can figure out how to get some music loaded on there, or a movie or tv show downloaded, that would make it perfect.

Not a big tech person at all, but always willing to learn when something is put in plain simple English. When I see some of the details of what you have to do to load progams I get very apprehensive to even continue reading, much less try to figure out what they are even talking about.

THanks again Brendan! :D

Debbie

Slakker
2007-07-12, 23:49
programs will be on the internal storage.

Debbie, I hate to say it, but much of the Linux system can't really be put into "plain english." If you want to do anything other than the most basic tasks with your 770, you're going to have to buckle down and LEARN.

Eldemila
2007-07-13, 00:52
Probably the most basic tasks are all I'm going to need, unless something I mentioned previously is beyond a basic task, like downloading a video or movie to watch later, or music, then I guess I'll just have to buckle down and try ;)

One thing I've noticed, or at least it seems (or I assume) , it's mostly men who are knowledgeable about all this - is that just wrong thinking on my part or some truth to it?

I have no plans to write any programs in this life, but it would be nice to learn something new if possible - then again, there may be no hope for me. I'll probably be as bad at figuring this out as I am with cooking - no hope for me in that dept either!

Thanks Slakker!!!

Debbie

brendan
2007-07-13, 00:52
for 98% of the work you need to do, you do not have to have root access. the application manager enables the user to install apps, without needing to expressly have root access.

you can install the apps on your 770 with or without an MMC card. it has no bearing on the install process and does not hold files for installed apps. what it does do is house data files that certain apps write to the card. for example, maemo mapper does not need the card to function, but if you want to cache a large amount of map tiles, you would want to configure the app to store the tiles on your MMC card.

the maemo site will have certain apps that are not available most other places, but the best bet is to use the application manager for most of the apps you want to install. use the following link to get a list of the repositories you can use.

http://maemo.org/community/wiki/applicationrepositories/

by adding each repository to your application manager, you can install the apps listed, and it will take care of dependencies, and not require root privileges.

the applications do have to be "ported" for the 770 platform, because it is not commodity hardware like PCs are. it runs linux, and therefore windows apps wont work. also, since the processor is not intel or pc compatible, regular linux apps have to have work done to them so they work on a different kind of processor.

you have a lot of reading to do, to get a grip on all of this. hope you're feeling froggy... :)

Eldemila
2007-07-13, 08:36
Thanks Brendan! :)

So, what you are suggesting should I need to download a progam that I would have to beroot for, I should put all the repositories on my machine that are listed on the linked page with the 2006OS? Every one on the list from:

Nokia Tableteer Certified
Nokia Tableteer Non-Certified
Maemo Garage (old mistral)
Maemo Garage (new gregale)
Maemo repository

all the way down the list and finish with:

libIllumination repository??

Is every one of these necessary to load? Is it correct in possibly thinking:confused: it doesn't hurt to have them all in the 770 and if you don't use it, not a big deal, you have it in there just in case you eventually do?

From looking at the downloads available on the maemo site, most of them have the green install button. There's 6 (all games) that I'd like to have on the Nokia that don't and I wonder if there's an easy way to get them. Eight One - GPA Soudoku, Joleem, Lineo and Twin Distress. One thing I would have liked was a calendar, but really not necessary.

Also, in the Multimedia category, I saw CANOLA, RECORDER, MEDIA STREAM and MPLAYER - are all of these good to have, any the same as another, and if so, which would be better? On MPlayer, there's a link that shows a video being played on it - how do you download a video on there to play later?

How many downloads are too many on the machine - don't want to overload?

Any idea on how long it takes to charge a battery back up from being (almost) drained - just curious as I wasn't able to find this info?

I think, most everything else that I would be interested is a direct download. I'm not going to get fancy with this thing, I don't need fancy. I just want some basic stuff on there.

Thanks again for your help!!:) I won't let all this info go to waste!:D

Eldemila
2007-07-14, 08:57
As for ebooks - can I use any of the digital readers my library offers on the Nokia:

Adobe eBook
Mobipocket eBook
OverDrive Audio Book
OverDrive Video

The Mobipocket link lists a lot of possiblilitys on devices to download, some Nokia, but not the 770 exactly:

http://www.mobipocket.com/en/DownloadSoft/downloadManualinstall.asp

Msg at top of page link says:

For MacOs, Linux or non-supported Windows users:
Mobipocket Reader is not supported on Mac or Linux systems, but you can install Mobipocket Reader on your PDA/smartphone via a Mac or Linux by downloading an individual installation package for your device

If any are able to be used, can one explain what I would need to do?

THANKS!:)

geneven
2007-07-14, 12:18
I can read the Overdrive books using Media Streamer. They have to be loaded on a Windows computer on which I have Orb installed, and I can browse to them and run them on my N800. Hopefully, the N770 is similar.

If you haven't checked out www.orb.com, it is one of the essential ways of getting media on to your N800/770.

brendan
2007-07-14, 13:09
Not all repos are necessary, but they couldnt hurt. that is unless they are offline/unavailable and then you start getting errors in the log about that. some apps may have dependencies for apps in other repos, so its best to have a complete set of repos, just in case.

a full battery charge takes between 4 and 6 hours i think.

many of the apps do have overlapping functionality, but i dont think their feature sets are a 1 to 1 mapping. mplayer can play more media types than most other players available for the nokia. canola is more feature rich than media streamer, and has more eye candy.

too many downloads, i dont know what that number is but it occurs when the onboard memory fills. about 64 MB on the 770 i think. you can install a ton of stuff though.

good luck, welcome and happy hacking

Eldemila
2007-07-15, 00:51
I really can't thank you enough - taking the time to answer my questions, which I'm sure at times must sound stupid. You've given me more confidence to not only add programs, but want to learn more about Linux.

I have one question left before I download some programs, probably the most stupid question yet, but probably the most easy to answer.

When I go to download it asks if I want to SAVE or OPEN the program - is there one option better than the other, does it matter which one you choose? What's the difference?

That's all the questions for now - unless I come in to some unforeseen problem, I'll give my questions a rest.

THANKS AGAIN!!!!! You guys are great!:D

barry99705
2007-07-15, 02:52
I really can't thank you enough - taking the time to answer my questions, which I'm sure at times must sound stupid. You've given me more confidence to not only add programs, but want to learn more about Linux.

I have one question left before I download some programs, probably the most stupid question yet, but probably the most easy to answer.

When I go to download it asks if I want to SAVE or OPEN the program - is there one option better than the other, does it matter which one you choose? What's the difference?

That's all the questions for now - unless I come in to some unforeseen problem, I'll give my questions a rest.

THANKS AGAIN!!!!! You guys are great!:D

Open will start the application manager and install it. Save will just download it to your device. Save comes in handy for reinstalling your apps after a firmware update, you already have them on a mmc card, no need to redownload them. Open will save you space, and if you have a broadband connection, you really don't need to save them. That make sense??

Eldemila
2007-07-15, 10:12
PERFECT - MAKES SENSE! Thanks!:D

Usually, on my PC I OPEN a file, I rarely SAVE unless it's a program that I've paid for or was available free for only a certain period of time to download.

Should I need a file again, for some reason, and (think) it will be easy to find again, it's OPEN for me.

I'm going to be happily adding some applications to my 770 today! Hopefully, I'll stay happy and have no problems. For now, I'm going to attempt just the easy ones on MAEMO that have the instant install.

Are the installs long, time frame wise??

THANK YOU - THANK YOU - THANK YOU :)

Eldemila
2007-07-16, 19:50
HELP!:eek:

Why can't anything be simple and easy and without trouble:confused:

Here, I find out I can do a one-click install on some of the programs that interest me on Maemo, but noooo, with just the first click, I have trouble.

battlegweled: I go to download, I get a msg

UNABLE TO INSTALL. SOME PACKAGES REQUIRED FOR THE INSTALLTION ARE MISSING.

The details show:

Packages missing libsdl-net1.2

I figured I'd try another (why stop at one screw-up I say!)

Tried putting another game, wouldn't load, finally figured out it was for the 2007OS

So, I look in the application manager file. It shows a bunch of games I never loaded on the unit, other than Battle Gweled, and I wonder how they got there. They are:

crazyparking
icebreaker
lxdoom
maemoblocks
maemodrac
maemosweeper
tuxpuck

a little more digging, I see other downloads in there -

Mediastreamer
theme-blue
theme-grey
theme-lila
theme-red

Were these pre-installed and there when I got the unit? Should I not want one of these, like maemosweeper, how does one delete it? Couldn't figure that one out:confused:

And, how do I fix the problem with Battle Gweled, and why, on a one-click install did it come with an error?:confused:

Thanks for any help!!!!

Eldemila
2007-07-16, 20:31
Okay, in my search I found the following:

http://216.239.51.104/search?q=cache:eIv0GowmEUwJ:mg.pov.lt/maemo-irclog/%2523maemo.2006-11-01.log.html+libsdl-net1.2+nokia&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=8&gl=us&lr=lang_ar|lang_en|lang_fr&ie=UTF-8

Go down to the time of 23:12 Someone else asks the same question, but I'm not sure what the solution is actually. Do I need to download this directly on my 770?

http://people.via.ecp.fr/~jobi/libsdl-net1.2_1.2.5-osso1_armel.deb

Eldemila
2007-07-17, 15:49
Anyone????:(

Eldemila
2007-07-18, 11:19
I guess I get the hint :(

blade
2007-07-18, 15:07
People probably just don't know the answer. I don't ;)

I bet some of the answers are already in the forum, though.

Tantalus
2007-07-18, 16:28
Ok I'm not sure what is happening but I will try and help.

First find the install logs

With Application Manager open click the menu button and select "Tools" then "Log...."

There will be a ton of stuff in there from previous successfull installs as well as error messages and fails.

You can save it if you want , I would just clear and then try to reinstall battlegweled.

Now go look at the log and only the errors from installing battlegweled will be there.

Save and post in here if you can :)

Tant

Eldemila
2007-07-19, 16:46
Thanks TANT! I'm going to give this a try later, I just bought a wireless router and have to get it installed. I'll will post my findings/outcome later. Truly appreciate your help:)