PDA

View Full Version : How to transfer messages from N900 -> N9

Paapaa
2011-09-21, 08:21
I happen to have a prototype N9 in use. Looks and feels great! But: OVI Suite doesn't support it at the present. A few questions:

1. How could I transfer SMS messages from N900 to N9
2. If I don't transfer them now and simply start using N9, can i LATER transfer all the N900 messages without deleting all the new messages I have received in the meanwhile in N9?

Paapaa
2011-10-10, 09:11
Any info on this?

slai
2011-10-10, 09:12
What happens if you just copy the files over?

Paapaa
2011-10-10, 09:58
Can you be more specific? Which files I need from N900 and where are they stored on the device? And where should I copy them in N9?

miqu
2011-10-10, 11:47
Conversations are stored in a SQL Lite database. El-v1.db is the file name. Depending on the database used on N9 you could be able just to transfer the file over.

For more info on that, you can check this thread about conversations. http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=58984

Also there is a Wiki page on this in Meego.com http://wiki.meego.com/Migrating_from_N900_to_N950

mr_jrt
2011-10-10, 15:09
As stated above, conversations on the N900 are stored in a SQLite DB. On the N9, I believe they are stored in the tracker.

I've been working on a event import/exporter for the last few months on and off...but I didn't get a N950...so no support :( I can probably advise you about exporting them though.

ajalkane
2011-10-10, 15:15
N9 can import SMS messages from the SIM card. Maybe you can export the messages from N900 to the SIM card and from there into N9?

JohnHughes
2011-10-10, 15:21
N9 can import SMS messages from the SIM card. Maybe you can export the messages from N900 to the SIM card and from there into N9?

Well, except that you can't put the sim from a N900 into a N9.

(Without using a pair of scissors, and then you couldn't go back the other way).

:)

don_falcone
2011-10-10, 16:34
I would say SQlite export; the tracker backend on N9 is probably also SQlite-based. One just has to figure out the database scheme / table space.

ajalkane
2011-10-10, 18:03
Well, except that you can't put the sim from a N900 into a N9.

(Without using a pair of scissors, and then you couldn't go back the other way).

:)

There are adapters for making microsim -> normal sim

mr_jrt
2011-10-10, 19:07
Two N900s can replicate their data via Bluetooth....I would imagine an N9 would share this functionality?

Failing that...make a backup using Ovi Suite (I doubt PC Suite and therefore it's backup application will support the N9), and restore it onto the N9.

You won't get niceties like fMMS messages...but you should get your SMSes and contacts.

randomdood
2011-10-11, 13:32
ovi suite doesn't support the n9^ at least not yet.

as for bluetooth, i saw no option for it.

woody14619
2011-10-11, 14:16
Have you tried PC Suite though, NOT Ovi Suite. They're two separate things.

Also, another option: Glogger on the N900 can export the database to a csv file. There is probably an app (if not a built-in one) that can support importing from csv. Or, at the very least, you could probably load Glogger onto the N9 and use it to view the old DB until something does come around? :)

randomdood
2011-10-12, 12:59
PC suite connects to the N9, however it can only export messages, no import option. it can import/export contacts.

I haven't found any app to read in a message db. (one is in git though)
also, no events show up in calendar.

mr_jrt
2011-10-12, 13:32
If PC Suite can get messages, then you may be in luck!

Use the backup application in PC Suite to backup from the N900 and then restore to the N9.

mr_jrt
2011-10-12, 13:33
(The Nokia Messaging Centre application doesn't let you manually put messages into the Inbox and Sent folders because it's a POS).

...and be VERY wary of CSV. I started out that way with the importer script that did the rounds here a couple of years back...but SMSes often have line breaks in them...CSV no like line breaks.

randomdood
2011-10-12, 13:42
If PC Suite can get messages, then you may be in luck!

Use the backup application in PC Suite to backup from the N900 and then restore to the N9.

hate to quote myself but:
PC suite connects to the N9, however it can only export messages, no import option....

mr_jrt
2011-10-13, 00:39
Ah, but you weren't clear where in PC Suite you were talking about.

All that matters is the backup application, and if that doesn't let you backup/restore messages then fair enough. An import/export is different from a backup/restore though, which is the point I was trying to make. PC Suite's Communications Centre has always let me export messages...but not import them. Backup has always let me do both....but obviously thats not much use for individual messages.

fingirl
2011-10-20, 20:16
Any solution on how to copy sms messages from the N900 to the N9?:confused:

itpastorn
2011-10-20, 22:23
EDIT: Upon further inspection this did not work. I got a list of everyone that I had sent messages to or received from, but not the actual messages.

I managed to transfer SMS messages from the n900 to my n9 using Nokia suite (the beta). Both PC Suite and the Ovi suite failed.

I used backup and restore, however I have not checked for completenesss

http://betalabs.nokia.com/apps/nokia-suite-beta?req=true

Paapaa
2011-10-21, 09:40
How do you do that? When I connect my N9 to Nokia Suite (3.2.66 Beta) with USB cable it simply says "Sorry, but this device can't be used with Nokia Suite".

The device firmware is : 10.2011.34-1_PR_001

Msquared
2011-10-21, 14:32
There are adapters for making microsim -> normal sim

Be careful, though, as some of them don't fit all normal sim trays and slots very well.

I bought one ("you best" brand) so that I could move my SIM between my N900 and my N9, but it didn't fit in the N900's SIM holder.

I replaced it with another one from the same manufacturer, and it's a better fit. Still quite tight, but works...

anidel
2011-10-21, 15:07
I managed to transfer SMS messages from the n900 to my n9 using Nokia suite (the beta). Both PC Suite and the Ovi suite failed.

I used backup and restore, however I have not checked for completenesss

http://betalabs.nokia.com/apps/nokia-suite-beta?req=true

How did you do that? I also have latest (just freshly updated) Nokia Suite Beta and it doesn't recognize the N9.

itpastorn
2011-10-21, 19:49
On my computer it just worked... Beyond that I've got no idea.

Paapaa
2011-10-22, 10:31
Could you post more details, plese. What is your phone firmware? What was the actual Nokia Suite version number? Did you use USB? Please post all the details as this is the reason I'm not using N9 right now. I NEED the damn SMS messages..

This is REALLY odd. Why would it work for some and not for others?

ezameht
2011-10-22, 13:41
I also need this feature. Will try this with Nokia Suite Beta and report my findings.

itpastorn
2011-10-23, 13:24
My setup:

Nokia Suite 3.2.54 for Windows

Firmware 10.2011.34-1.339.01.2_PR_339

I used USB

I have on other occassions experienced flakiness with both Wifi and BT. (Posted questions in other threads.)

fingirl
2011-10-24, 21:36
My setup:

Nokia Suite 3.2.54 for Windows

Firmware 10.2011.34-1.339.01.2_PR_339

I used USB

I have on other occassions experienced flakiness with both Wifi and BT. (Posted questions in other threads.)

I tried installing Nokia Suite beta, but didn't work :( I hope somebody finds another solution, because it would be nice to get the old messages copied to the N9 :mad:

itpastorn
2011-10-25, 09:26
Ooops! I have unwillingly lied to you all. I did not check thoroughly. Messages have not been transfered, only a list of everyone I've had a conversation with...

anidel
2011-10-25, 09:48
Sad, but it makes much more sense now...

Thanks !

pH5
2011-10-25, 19:20
I have started a small tool to import SMS messages (https://gitorious.org/mff/mff) from my N900's el-v1.db into tracker using libcommhistory.

There is an annoying bug remaining:

Imported messages appear in the wrong order in their respective groups. First all outgoing messages are shown in chronological order. The incoming messages are shown also in chronological order, but all of them after the outgoing ones.

mr_jrt
2011-10-25, 20:58
I await the code from your utility with interest...without a N950 I can't really add support for tracker to my harmatten-based event log syncing utility. Good examples do help though... ;)

Paapaa
2011-10-26, 09:07
Ooops! I have unwillingly lied to you all. I did not check thoroughly. Messages have not been transfered, only a list of everyone I've had a conversation with...

Still it is very odd that Nokia Suite recognizes your N9 as it does not work for everyone else. Unless you lied about that too :rolleyes:

pH5
2011-10-26, 09:47
Fixed the sorting issue (https://gitorious.org/mff/mff/commit/9ce61c384f56724a903ab127b45daed8950731f6). Now the only thing wrong with my own el-v1.db import is that vCard messages turn up empty.

If you'd like to help test this (no guarantees, make backups!), install the attached Debian package, copy your el-v1.db to the N9/N950, open the terminal and enter:
~ $ mff /home/user/MyDocs/el-v1.db
(or wherever you've put the database). Feedback is very much welcome.

I await the code from your utility with interest...without a N950 I can't really add support for tracker to my harmatten-based event log syncing utility. Good examples do help though... ;)

Will that utility support importing from N900? Anything available online yet? I'm looking forward to it.
Btw, for mff I took commhistory-tool (https://gitorious.org/commhistory/libcommhistory/blobs/master/tools/commhistory-tool.cpp) as an example.

chrisp7
2011-10-26, 13:10
Wow, great. I have a complete backup of my old N900, can I extract the database from that?

pH5
2011-10-26, 14:46
Wow, great. I have a complete backup of my old N900, can I extract the database from that?
Yes, you should be able to extract it from any backup that includes communication & calendar:

comm_and_cal.zip contains a file Root/home/user/.rtcomm-eventlogger/backup.tgz
backup.tgz contains el-v1.db

mr_jrt
2011-10-27, 01:33
Will that utility support importing from N900? Anything available online yet? I'm looking forward to it.
Btw, for mff I took commhistory-tool (https://gitorious.org/commhistory/libcommhistory/blobs/master/tools/commhistory-tool.cpp) as an example.

It currently is in somewhat of an alpha state, so is hidden in the user/hidden category (ie. it won't appear in the app manager). It imports/exports SMSes from VMG files, and call logs from CSV files (as workarounds for the fact that there are no libraries for processing the binary Symbian DB format, so it's too complex to deal with right now).

The garage page is: https://garage.maemo.org/projects/qwerkisync/
...and the package page is: http://maemo.org/packages/view/qwerkisync/

...it does all sorts of other things as well (reindexes all the events so they're in the right order, round-robin backs up the DB before it starts, handles VCards in SMSes, and so on for example).

WARNING: I use it on my live phone, but I know exactly how it works. I'd make sure you have backups of your DB first (though as I say, it makes some that you should be able to restore from manually).

...I'm currently tweaking the export so it doesn't wipe the output directory first, then I'm moving onto fMMS import/export (and documenting properly now the code structure is fairly stable).

In theory porting it to Harmatten should be as easy as plugging in the right DB backends....but that's not a priority for me right now as I don't have anything to test with :)

EDIT:
The other major caveat you should be aware of is that it "massages" all phone numbers into the international format, so they match up with the number supplied when a SMS is received (which is the one I use for my contacts). As there's no DB for phone country codes on the device that I've found, +44 (UK) is currently hard coded in as I've not gotten around to the persistent config options yet, nor including such a lookup table. If this is a problem, let me know and I'll see what I can get working quickly for anyone overseas.

...also, there's no way of knowing when a call is a voicemail call in the Symbian event log...so it just matches against a list of supplied numbers and then it'll treat the calls as the correct voicemail call event type. I only have my provider's voicemail number in the currently hard-coded list ;)

Laamane
2011-11-03, 16:51
Fixed the sorting issue (https://gitorious.org/mff/mff/commit/9ce61c384f56724a903ab127b45daed8950731f6). Now the only thing wrong with my own el-v1.db import is that vCard messages turn up empty.

If you'd like to help test this (no guarantees, make backups!), install the attached Debian package, copy your el-v1.db to the N9/N950, open the terminal and enter:
~ $ mff /home/user/MyDocs/el-v1.db
(or wherever you've put the database). Feedback is very much welcome.

How should that process take? My N9 now says "Committing SMS changes", has been sitting there for ~10 minutes?
Nothing seem to be happening though....

Sazpaimon
2011-11-04, 20:13
How should that process take? My N9 now says "Committing SMS changes", has been sitting there for ~10 minutes?
Nothing seem to be happening though....

It seems mff is using the old Pre-PR1.2 sqlite layout.

What mff uses now:

query.exec("SELECT start_time,end_time,is_read,remote_uid,free_text,g roup_uid,outgoing FROM Events WHERE service_id=3 AND event_type_id=7 ORDER BY group_uid,start_time");

What it SHOULD be:

query.exec("SELECT start_time,end_time,is_read,remote_uid,free_text,g roup_uid,outgoing FROM Events WHERE service_id=3 AND (event_type_id=7 OR event_type_id=11) ORDER BY group_uid,start_time");

I changed this code, repackaged the deb, and it worked fine.

Neukku
2011-11-08, 12:08
Hi,

Where to get latest version in deb file ?

Laamane
2011-11-09, 09:48

What mff uses now:

query.exec("SELECT start_time,end_time,is_read,remote_uid,free_text,g roup_uid,outgoing FROM Events WHERE service_id=3 AND event_type_id=7 ORDER BY group_uid,start_time");

What it SHOULD be:

query.exec("SELECT start_time,end_time,is_read,remote_uid,free_text,g roup_uid,outgoing FROM Events WHERE service_id=3 AND (event_type_id=7 OR event_type_id=11) ORDER BY group_uid,start_time");

Could you please upload it somewhere?
I can't recompile and pack it myself just now. :(

pH5
2011-11-14, 14:45

What mff uses now:
What it SHOULD be:
query.exec("SELECT start_time,end_time,is_read,remote_uid,free_text,g roup_uid,outgoing FROM Events WHERE service_id=3 AND (evententries._type_id=7 OR event_type_id=11) ORDER BY group_uid,start_time");

Is this documented somewhere? My database didn't contain any event_type_id=11

ejasmudar
2011-12-23, 10:37
Hi, can somebody please upload a compiled Deb file which will import t the whole DB? I Want to import call logs as well as Im convos.

ezameht
2012-02-05, 11:00
Can somebody please upload a .deb which is working?

ezameht
2012-02-07, 20:54
Nevermind. Worked as discribed here:
http://www.meegoexperts.com/2011/12/transfer-sms-im-conversations-nokia-n900-n9/

tommo
2012-03-16, 20:34
just tried to transfer my conversations from my N900, and in the terminal it says 'unable to open database file'

Any help please!!!

theking2
2012-08-05, 17:50
So how do I move messages from my n900 to my n9?