[LINK: http://www.gnome.org/projects/rhythmbox/] Rhythmbox is an
integrated music management application for GNOME that features the
following:

? Easy to use music browser
? Searching and sorting
? Comprehensive audio format support through GStreamer
? Internet Radio support
? Playlists

Yo...Read the full article. (http://www.internettablettalk.com/content/view/154)

Reggie
2005-12-20, 00:14
Just installed it and I like the Podcast support! What I don't like about it however is 1) it doesn't save the feed and 2) it automatically downloads the first entry.

I also get an error when I run it that it can't find remote share and I have to configure Howl, which I don't have an idea what it means.

Other than that, it seems like a great must have app when the final version is released.

RealNitro
2005-12-20, 08:28
Just installed it and I like the Podcast support! What I don't like about it however is 1) it doesn't save the feed and 2) it automatically downloads the first entry.

I also get an error when I run it that it can't find remote share and I have to configure Howl, which I don't have an idea what it means.

Other than that, it seems like a great must have app when the final version is released.
Howl allows rhythmbox to discover services like iTunes streams on the local network. (I'm not 100% sure though.)

konttori
2005-12-20, 09:08
According to readme:
Daapsharing on Nokia 770
========================

For use daapsharing on Nokia 770, you need start the service mDNSReponder

use this in xterm:
$cd /var/lib/install/usr/bin/
$./mDNSResponder

now you can start Rhythmbox and enjoy.

Now, what is DAAP?

"The Digital Audio Access Protocol, or DAAP, is used by Apple's iTunes 4.0 digital audio player to share music across a network or the Internet."
- http://daap.sourceforge.net/

Ok, this definately sounds very intriguing indeed. Although, I must admit that using 770 as a remote with VNC to control itunes is nice as well. But this is indeed even better.

konttori
2005-12-20, 09:31
I just tested DAAP and it actually works as advertized. I opened itunes on my comp, opened the mDNSResponder in nokia 770, opened rythmbox in nokia and voila, I was able to see all my itunes music in nokia and play them directly from my nokia. Splendid.

Also, in preferences, you can also share music from nokia to itunes. Now, is this cool or what?

Reggie
2005-12-20, 10:23
I see! Now I tried sharing my iTunes music and indeed, the 770 sees my whole playlist. I'm having problems playing songs though. It plays the really short songs (below 30 seconds) but cannot play full length songs. It won't play, and after a few seconds, it quits.

Any ideas?

Reggie
2005-12-20, 10:50
Ok, I think I know what the problem is. It seems like Rhythmbox can only play MP3 files in iTunes. It can't play protected and unprotected AAC files or WAV files. I suggest you create a playlist of all of your MP3 files so it'll be easy to pick them from Rhythmbox.

Edited to add: An easy way is to create a Smart Playlist Folder in iTunes with 'Kind' contains 'MPEG audio file'

This app is cool!

MACDADDY
2005-12-22, 23:58
According to readme:
Daapsharing on Nokia 770
========================

For use daapsharing on Nokia 770, you need start the service mDNSReponder

use this in xterm:
$./mDNSResponder

As my screen name indicates, I a Mac user & thus ignorant on the inner-workings of all these neat gadgets. How do I access xterm to do as you suggest? Thx in advance.

Reggie
2005-12-23, 02:13
You need to install X-Terminal from here:
http://770.fs-security.com/xterm/

myet01
2005-12-23, 02:28
OK, stupid question. What are files that end with .deb? Then, how do you install those files, do you boot up the Nokia installer and use that to install them?

Tony

Reggie
2005-12-23, 02:39
Those .deb files are the actual apps for the 770. The fastest way to install it is use your 770 to browse to the URL and let it download the file (choose 'Open') ans it will automatically install the app. You can also copy the .deb file on your card and using the 770 file manager, double click on the file and it will install it.

MACDADDY
2005-12-23, 03:25
You need to install X-Terminal from here:
http://770.fs-security.com/xterm/

THX
I installed xterm & re-booted. It works fine. I entered the first command line w/o problems, but when I entered

$ ./mDNSResponder

I get an error message that

./mDNSResponder not found

Am I missing something?

bradb
2005-12-23, 03:28
Did you install the rhythmbox .deb before you opened the xterm?

When you get the error message "not found" try typing "pwd" - what does it show? The first command (the cd) is intended to change to the directory that rhythmbox has been installed too.

Sounds like you've only installed xterm (or the first command didn't work)

Brad.

Reggie
2005-12-23, 03:51
you missed a step. it should be:

$./mDNSResponder

THX
I installed xterm & re-booted. It works fine. I entered the first command line w/o problems, but when I entered

$ ./mDNSResponder

I get an error message that

./mDNSResponder not found

Am I missing something?

MACDADDY
2005-12-23, 05:11
THX

I finally got it installed properly. The rythm app is such a memory hog!. I have a large Mp3 collection & I suspect this is partially to blame. One more question, the DNSResponder must be installed every time after booting the 770? Or is it a permanent installation?

Reggie
2005-12-23, 05:19
It's a beta app. I would think that DNSResponder will be in a menu or somewhere to turn on or off. At least it works now. :D

MACDADDY
2005-12-23, 05:29
It's a beta app. I would think that DNSResponder will be in a menu or somewhere to turn on or off. At least it works now. :D

I didn't mean to come across as complaining. I realize it is beta & I appreciate the efforts of software developers. This app has a lot of potential. Just think about it . . . the power of a 60gb ipod . . . all on your 770! Wow!

THX for the help guys.

bradb
2005-12-30, 07:56
I tried playing with this tonight and every time I try to play a file shared via iTunes it seems to kill Rythmbox. Basically, I do:

1. reboot
2. connect to the WLAN
3. open an xterm and start "mDNSResponder"
4. start Rythmbox
5. Select my playlist, see a file.
6. Double-click, window disappears. Can't ever seem to get it back. I see an icon on the left, but nothing else.

Anybody else?

porovaara
2006-01-03, 02:50
I tried playing with this tonight and every time I try to play a file shared via iTunes it seems to kill Rythmbox. Basically, I do:
6. Double-click, window disappears. Can't ever seem to get it back. I see an icon on the left, but nothing else.

Anybody else?

I see the same behaviour with the newest OS.

maurice
2006-01-19, 22:10
Well, I have everything set up as required but my 770 cant see any files, although iTunes can. I'm using mt-daapd on a linux box in my network to serve files. I've started mDSNResonder, but it doesnt seem to find the feed. Any ideas?

psychoboogie
2006-01-23, 19:00
memory issue for me. Won't load all my tracks.

would be awesome if this would work.

was thinking of running coverbuddy and nicecast as an alternative but not free. Can't get a proper stream that the 770 supports from the streaming audio for some reason.

doesn't seem to support all streams.

Carl
2006-03-21, 02:11
OK, stupid question. What are files that end with .deb? Then, how do you install those files, do you boot up the Nokia installer and use that to install them?

Tony

Transfer the file onto your RS-MMC card, then disconnect, use file manager to get to the contents of the card, then click on the filename ending with .deb The installer will take you from there.

A question for all others... I can't see the other iTunes lists on my Nokia (yeah, I did install the required DNSResponder first). My other boxes can view each other's iTunes lists w/o any problem. Any ideas?