PDA

View Full Version : Maemo Mapper & Bluetooth GPS Receiver Questions

iTab
2007-07-16, 19:51
I downloaded Maemo Mapper and the maps are pretty plain.

What else should I be doing?

Is this easy to set up with a Bluetooth GPS Receiver?

What's a good one - how much are they?

gnuite
2007-07-16, 20:41

What else should I be doing?
OpenStreetMap is the only repository with a license suitable for inclusion with Maemo Mapper. Hopefully, someday, its coverage will be more complete.

Unfortunately, most of the commercial map sets (like Google's or Virtual Earth's) are covered by restrictive licenses and thus cannot be included with Maemo Mapper by default. It is questionable, in fact, that they can be used legally with Maemo Mapper at all. But, if you're willing to try them out (at your own risk, mind you), you can use the "Download..." button in the "Manage Repositories" dialog (accessible from the "Maps" menu) to download a set of additional repositories.

Is this easy to set up with a Bluetooth GPS Receiver?

What's a good one - how much are they?
Any GPS receiver with bluetooth support of the NMEA protocol (via the Bluetooth Serial Profile) should work with Maemo Mapper. See the "Maemo Mapper : GPS devices that work... or not... (http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1970)" thread for some examples.

bac522
2007-07-17, 02:17

Why do you think they are plain? They are just as good as any GPS I've seen, actually better and are exactly the same maps that you get on google maps (if you're using the repository).

gnuite
2007-07-18, 12:55
Why do you think they are plain? They are just as good as any GPS I've seen, actually better and are exactly the same maps that you get on google maps (if you're using the repository).
He's probably talking about the default repository (OpenStreetMap). Its road data is especially lacking in the United States, although there is relatively good coverage in Europe.

iTab
2007-07-18, 14:59
Yeah, what can I do to make it look like Google Maps?

gnuite
2007-07-18, 19:28
Yeah, what can I do to make it look like Google Maps?
You can read my response to your first post in this thread, specifically the part about using "the 'Download...' button in the 'Manage Repositories' dialog"...

There's also a Help button in the main menu of the application.

iTab
2007-07-18, 19:38
Thanks. I am new to all of this. Why is it risky? Currently, I am trying to Re-Flash my iTab, then partition, then would it be OK to add the maps? (Where exactly do I get the download link?) Thanks!

bac522
2007-07-18, 23:15
The search feature in the forum is your friend...

gnuite
2007-07-19, 13:48
Why is it risky?
Because it may technically be illegal, depending on the license restrictions of the maps that you use. For example, some repositories may use a license that makes it illegal to download their maps in bulk (which is a feature that Maemo Mapper can provide).

Currently, I am trying to Re-Flash my iTab, then partition, then would it be OK to add the maps?
Yes.

(Where exactly do I get the download link?)
If you're talking about the "Download..." button that gives you access to more detailed (and possibly restricted) repositories, then go to the menu, then select the "Maps" submenu, then select the "Manage Repositories" menu item. The "Manage Repositories" dialog will pop up, and at the bottom of that dialog is a button labeled "Download..." When you click it (assuming you are connected to the internet), Maemo Mapper will download a set of repository definitions and add them to your list of repositories. You can then select those different repositories from the "Maps" menu.

Seriously, take a look at the Help file (accessible from the main menu). It's relatively complete, and it explains many of these concepts in detail.

iTab
2007-07-19, 14:05
I am confused. Should I or should I not download these new map repositories?

gnuite
2007-07-19, 19:45
I am confused. Should I or should I not download these new map repositories?
Legally, I cannot recommend that you use those map repositories. However, the odds of "getting caught" are likely to be miniscule, and the odds of getting punished are even smaller, so if you were to happen to try them out, I'm fairly certain that there would be no negative ramifications. (But, again, legally speaking, I cannot guarantee that there won't be consequences, and you shouldn't imply any such guarantee from this post.)

If you're afraid of the consequences, then either stick with the OpenStreetMap maps (which are definitely legal to use) or purchase commercial mapping (and/or hardware), such as Navicore's own N800 offering.

geneven
2007-07-19, 21:09
I don't see any threats that you will be struck by lightning if you click the Download button, so I think you should try it. Certainly I would never use MM without doing so.

iTab
2007-07-20, 00:36
I am new to this - so, where do I get these additional repositories and where do I load them to? Thanks.

sping
2007-07-20, 01:44
Please stop trying the patience of the helpful people here. They've told you exactly what to do more than once, in particular that you can read the help file for a good explanation.

General etiquette:

1. Read Help files and any other documentation available
2. Search online, forums etc.
3. then ask questions
4. Read the answers.

nokieeee
2007-07-27, 10:24
Can anyone please confirm if this is the latest repository for GoogleMaps:
http://mt.google.com/mt?n=404&v=w2.29&x=%d&y=%d&zoom=%d

? I have this but evertime I try downloading it says dowload error / check connection etc, even though normal internet works fine? Any ideas please? Please be gwente - my first post! Thanks.

gnuite
2007-07-27, 12:58
Can anyone please confirm if this is the latest repository for GoogleMaps:
http://mt.google.com/mt?n=404&v=w2.29&x=%d&y=%d&zoom=%d

? I have this but evertime I try downloading it says dowload error / check connection etc, even though normal internet works fine? Any ideas please? Please be gwente - my first post! Thanks.
Latest is v=w2.56, not w2.29 - the latter is deprecated. Do yourself a favor and use v=w2.99 (as suggested in the Repositories thread, and as provided via the "Download..." button in the "Manage Repositories" dialog of recent versions of Maemo Mapper), so that you're protected from future version deprecations.

Funkyfreddy
2007-07-27, 14:09
Latest is v=w2.56, not w2.29 - the latter is deprecated. Do yourself a favor and use v=w2.99 (as suggested in the Repositories thread, and as provided via the "Download..." button in the "Manage Repositories" dialog of recent versions of Maemo Mapper), so that you're protected from future version deprecations.

Hi G,

Could you please explain the significance of the n= and v= data strings ?

Many thanks

gnuite
2007-07-27, 17:18
Hi G,

Could you please explain the significance of the n= and v= data strings ?

Many thanks
I don't know what the n= string does - I've only ever seen n=404.

The v= string is a "version number." Basically, Google Maps works like this: Google runs a program on their Navteq map data, the output of which is a bunch of bitmaps (images). The version number changes when they change that program (which causes the images to potentially look a little different). It's possible that the number may also get a boost when the underlying map data changes (i.e. roads change or are added), but the version number change doesn't seem to be frequent enough for that to be the case.

To avoid sudden map version changes while browsing Google Maps, a given session will use a single version number, so that the maps are all generated by the same version of the program. That version number is passed with each HTTP request to Google Maps in order to declare which version to download. Since most people don't browse Google Maps for weeks at a time, Google occasionally "deprecates" older versions, presumably to save disk space.

The workaround for Maemo Mapper has been to specify a "unrealistically large" version number (like w2.99 or w2.999). This works because Google responds to these large numbers by returning the largest version that is currently available. The drawback to this is that Google might increment that version while you're downloading maps, or between download attempts. This could possibly cause some disconnect between adjacent maps that have different version numbers.

Actually, I just noticed this, but both n= and v= are now optional. I guess Google assumes the most-recent version as the default. I'll update the Repositories thread to remove those two variables.

EDIT: One other thing that may be of interest... Google Maps has a completely separate set of version numbers that start with "ap." (i.e. "ap.65"). The maps look slightly different than the "traditional" versions - some streets are drawn thinner, for example. I still don't really know how or where these maps are used in Google's products, but the version numbers have been steadily increasing for years, so the algorithm still seems to be getting occasional updates... There are also transparent versions of the maps, which are used in the overlays for the "Hybrid" maps. Those version numbers look like "w2t.57" and "apt.65", but aren't really useful for Maemo Mapper (v1.x, anyway...).

Funkyfreddy
2007-07-29, 23:11
I don't know what the n= string does - I've only ever seen n=404.
[snip]

Many thanks for the explanation and info :)

Cheers
FF