PDA

View Full Version : JAVA MIDP 2.1 on N9 ???

immi.shk
2011-10-06, 14:11
is it true that Nokia N9 supports Java midp-2.1 :confused: (some site says it supports java midp-2.1 & some says it supports java script):confused:
if true can anyone upload screenshots or screencasts of it... & does it supports 3d gaming:confused::confused:

also if true can it be ported to N900

P.s - i'l post a video of java on N9 as soon as i find it

Andy1210
2011-10-07, 10:11
nope, doesn't support java midp

fahadj2003
2011-10-07, 10:32
gsmarena says it does

sicelo
2011-10-07, 10:39
I don't know about N9, but I think it's just like N900 in this respect.

Although N900 doesn't support J2ME out of the box. there is MicroEmulator, which is available on the repositories. This can run a few J2ME applications

Note that ME will not necessarily run all types of midlets. I have successfully used a number of them, and have had only one or two fail.

I should assume that porting some jvm to the N9 will be possible, unless, of course, there is restriction from security features in the N9

immi.shk
2011-10-08, 08:01
N900 doesn't support J2ME out of the box. to make it work, you need to install MicroEmulator, which is available on the repositories.

Note that ME will not necessarily run all types of midlets. I have successfully used a number of them, and have had only one or two fail.

thanks for reply.. :)
what about 3d games?
does multitouch brings a better experience with new ME skin?

sophiophile
2011-12-31, 07:05
I dont really know much about this stuff, but I cam fully verify that Java SE 7 (for embedded) can be run on the N9. Attached are a few screenshots. I haven't given the ME edition a swing yet.

I don't think this can be distributed as per Sun's licensing, so maybe just a guide is the best way to go. I also dont know how to do the whole plugin for fennec yet (there isn't even a fennec plugin folder like in other versions' guide to Java-fication).

I'm sure someone who doesn't flail around violently in the terminal (hell I even managed to break aegis so badly a few times that I stopped getting the warning message on boot using the openkernel)

The key (no pun intented) limitation right now, is that I dont know how to provision/enable the virtual keyboard (for example, when running tightvnc's jar client)

----

PS - Big props to RZR, who's repo is the only reason I can do anything neat on this device. I noticed that your rdesktop said "todo fullscreen", but if you just run as rdesktop <hostname> -g 854x480 -c 16 -D -f, you get a very usable fullscreened experience. However, the lack of a keyboard for non-950ers like me mean using the OSK from Windows, which is obviously ballz.. and Windows8DeveloperPreview seems to rdp to a blackscreen. And there's something wrong with libssl-1.0.0.deb's postinst script (required by rdesktop), which I elegantly solved by deleting said file

sophiophile
2011-12-31, 07:31
Ooooh... so after passing credentials via commandline to the tightvnc.jar. Not only does JavaSE work, but it works fantastically. I had previously been using a HTML5 websockets proxy to get VNC client functionality with non-RDP/windows systems on the N9 (which obviously couldn't use java acceleration), and it was just horrible

In contrast, using tightvnc's java client is fantastically fast/responsive, ignoring the issue of no native virtual keybard support (perhaps someone here can turn me on to a solution).

Screenshot shows MS-paint (containing another screenshot), and the lil' menubar from TightVNC.

immi.shk
2011-12-31, 08:16
@sophiophile
first of all thanks for ur contribution..
i would like you to have a look at Kemulator (http://www.google.com/m/search?site=universal&client=ms-nokia-maemo&channel=unibox&q=kemulator+0.9.8)

its one of the best j2me emulator for Pc Win32/64... but what i noticed is a big kemulator.jar file in its installation folder, which i think is working with J2SE...
so is it possible to port Kemulator to N9/N900...

rcolistete
2012-01-04, 02:00
In contrast, using tightvnc's java client is fantastically fast/responsive, ignoring the issue of no native virtual keybard support (perhaps someone here can turn me on to a solution).

To N9 users (without physical keyboard), one solution is to pass parameters (host, etc) in command line :
$ java -jar tightvnc-jviewer.jar <IP-ADDRESS>::5900

Even without controls, this TightVNC Java solution is the 1st VNC client solution for MeeGo Harmattan (as far as I know).

Thanks for the how-to install of Java SE and use of TightVNC Java.

rcolistete
2012-01-04, 06:30
About running Java MIDP (midlets) on Nokia N9 :

- follow :
http://forum.meego.com/showpost.php?p=37644&postcount=20
to install Java SE;

- download MicroEmulator from :
http://snapshot.microemu.org/microemulator/download/
Unzip it and copy the directory to your Nokia N9, e.g., '/home/user/Java/microemulator-3.0.0', creating the '~/Java' directory before.

- run the MicroEmulator on Nokia N9 :
$ cd ~/Java/
$ java -jar microemulator-3.0.0/microemulator.jar
Follow :
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=789909
to download and install some MicroEmulator skins tailored for Nokia N900 (also useful for N9).

- to run a 'midlet.jar' :
$ java -jar microemulator-3.0.0/microemulator.jar midlet.jar

soleil
2012-01-07, 12:09
I dit it and got some errors but I fixed and it worrks :)
I hope an GUI version for all users :)

www.rzr.online.fr
2012-01-07, 14:26
1st we should focus on proper j2se integration (deb)

enki71
2012-01-07, 19:16
so there is a way to run an app like this one http://www.rdmplus.com/ ? i would love to use vnc or remote control via internet but not enough knowledge in meego

soleil
2012-01-08, 10:37
I need to retype all the steps each time I close the terminal !! Is there a way to save it ?

Mada22009
2012-01-08, 13:33
I dit it and got some errors but I fixed and it worrks :)
I hope an GUI version for all users :)

I have a ".jar" installation file for "whatsapp" that I downloaded from some Arab forum, it said it's for N9 but I couldn't run that file on n9 since it doesn't support java.

since you got it running does that mean you are able to install such files?

soleil
2012-01-08, 14:08
Yes , i'm able to run java MIDP on my N9

myname24
2012-01-08, 16:51
I have a ".jar" installation file for "whatsapp" that I downloaded from some Arab forum, it said it's for N9 but I couldn't run that file on n9 since it doesn't support java.

since you got it running does that mean you are able to install such files?

could you please link that jar file?

et3rnal
2012-01-08, 17:58
thx heaps guys u made my day :D

can anyone plz try to run whatsapp :)

Arthuro_Adam
2012-01-08, 23:00
Any easy way to install Opera Mini?

rcolistete
2012-01-08, 23:33
Any easy way to install Opera Mini?

Well, Opera Mobile for Harmattan is better : full screen, it has an icon to launch, etc.

Anyway, if you really want to run Opera Mini, follow :

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=1145452&postcount=10

download an opera-mini<some-version>.jar from :

http://www.opera.com/mobile/download/versions/

for example, 'opera-mini-6.5.26955-advanced-en-us.jar'. Put this file in '/home/user/Java' directory.

To run, open Terminal and go to the 'Java' directory (where there is 'microemulator') and type :

$ java -jar microemulator-3.0.0/microemulator.jar opera-mini-6.5.26955-advanced-en-us.jar

Mada22009
2012-01-09, 01:40
could you please link that jar file?

well here it is but please private msg me if you could run it so i could get the details how k :) thanks in advance
http://www.mediafire.com/?jz4ba4awbmn80me

Mada22009
2012-01-09, 01:46
Yes , i'm able to run java MIDP on my N9
then please do try to run this file, if it works it would be damn great
"I posted it but its awaiting some moderator approval since the post has a link in it"

put the http and www b4 this and hit enter you should be able to find the file and few more messengers in a zip file

mediafire.com/?jz4ba4awbmn80me

myname24
2012-01-09, 15:48
then please do try to run this file, if it works it would be damn great
"I posted it but its awaiting some moderator approval since the post has a link in it"

put the http and www b4 this and hit enter you should be able to find the file and few more messengers in a zip file

mediafire.com/?jz4ba4awbmn80me

None of those files worked under microemulator . ERROR for all . But the official opera mini worked but Nimbuzz didn't.

Mada22009
2012-01-09, 17:41
that is sad alright I am sorry that i might be asking allot ... but many people are trying to get whatsapp running on n9 and this seems to be a good way to do so

may you try and check if there is a whats app version made with java that might run on this emulater?
I would do it my self but my knowledge is bleak "a tbest" in these matters at.

thanks in advance :)

myname24
2012-01-09, 18:12
that is sad alright I am sorry that i might be asking allot ... but many people are trying to get whatsapp running on n9 and this seems to be a good way to do so

may you try and check if there is a whats app version made with java that might run on this emulater?
I would do it my self but my knowledge is bleak "a tbest" in these matters at.

thanks in advance :)

Already did but another fail . And if whatsapp worked on microemulator it could have been there for the N900 for ages.

aRTee
2012-02-03, 16:17
Could anyone give the one from this page a try:
http://www.vbl.ch/getdoc/02801f6e-933b-4ef1-9729-418208cb7896/Installationsanleitung.aspx

I'm getting some weird errors, for files I don't even see inside the jar, perhaps I'm not looking in the right place/way..?
BTW I took the touchscreen (3rd) version.

prophet412
2012-02-15, 08:04
For adding an icon on the home screen to directly run Microemulator, enter the following in a file "microemu.desktop" in /usr/share/applications

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Terminal=false
Name=Microemulator
Exec=/opt/ejre1.7.0_02/bin/java -jar /home/user/Java/microemulator-3.0.0/microemulator.jar
Icon=/opt/ejre1.7.0_02/java.png
X-Window-Icon=
X-HildonDesk-ShowInToolbar=true
X-Osso-Type=application/x-executable

You can use your own icon or use the attached icon. I stored it in /opt/ejre1.7.0_02.

www.rzr.online.fr
2012-05-20, 01:05
Hi until we got a proper jvm package you can use ubuntu one , check the demo j2se and j2me on n950 :

http://rzr.online.fr/q/ubuntu# #UbuntU running within #MeeGo/#HarmattaN for !n950club : support #NfS, #JavA , Download RootFs or Watch video

cagamut
2013-07-13, 14:00
I'm trying to install java se to my n9 but the link for installation guide on the forum.meego is broken and i cannot find any information how to install it can you help me please?

schokopudding
2013-07-19, 12:00
i would also be interested in running Java on the n9
so if any1 still has the installation guide, I would appreciate it!

cagamut
2013-07-21, 15:41
still no answer? does anyone has the installition guide?

schokopudding
2013-07-24, 00:53
so sad forum.meego.com is down *bump*

rcolistete
2013-08-19, 14:44
As some users demanded, here is the post #20 of MeeGo forum (which is down) about Java SE installation :

Default Re: OpenJDK / Iced Tea for Harmattan
I'll give a full write-up later, but this should get you up and running.

Downlaod the headful version of Java SE for Embedded by going to and filling out the annoying form on Sun's website. Do not, instead type in (assuming you've installed wget) to your shell:

# wget tinyurl.com/java-n9

as this would violate Sun's Licensing Agreemnt. Once finished downloading, you'll want to extract it to it's final resting place, (so if you were using /opt)

# tar -xzvf ejre-7u2-fcs-b13-linux-arm-vfp-client_headful-22_nov_2011.tar.gz -C /opt

now you need to define a couple environment variables to appease the Sun(TM) gods (note: add these to your .profile if you don't want to be annoyed all to hell redefining them every time you open a shell)

# export JAVA_HOME=/opt/ejre1.7.0_02
# export PLUGIN_HOME=/opt/ejre1.7.0_02/lib
# export PATH=$PATH:$JAVA_HOME/bin

oh, and of course... make sure that root owns $JAVA_HOME and everything in it, and everything in $JAVA_HOME/bin is executable

# chown root -R $JAVA_HOME
# chmod +x $JAVA_HOME/bin/*

From here, I went and ran (though I dunno why it's the only thing that wont just run as if it is in PATH)

# sh $JAVA_HOME/bin/jcontrol

which will open up the GUI control panel. I pretty much just went through and loosened every possible security feature (ie - possible barrier to it working), although some or none of that may have been necessary. I also pointed it to fennec for default browser though that was also likely inconsequential.

And that's it... to run a jar file which is made for Java SE, just type in:

# java -jar <genericjarfilethatyouhave>.jar

hopefully I'll be able to guide through adding support for JavaME tomorrow, from within the jcontrol GUI.
-------------------------

The usual caveat of "I have no bleeping idea what I am doing, and would likely be better off button-mashing while in terminal" applies, of course. And also, I don't know if anything this will piss of Aegis, and bring upon you the wrath of MALF... as I run openmode... but I dont see why it would, other than if you choose to edit .profile maybe.

The "tinyurl.com/java-n9" address is unvailable, so go the Sun website.

sid21177
2013-08-21, 06:33
any support for the keyboard when the jar is running ??