PDA

View Full Version : N900 USB port ripped...Nokia wont fix for free?

persianprez
2011-10-23, 05:24
I was told this is a manufacturer defect, but after talking to Nokia support, they said my warranty was expired and there's nothing they can do unless I pay. Anyone know a solution to this? If I do have to pay, how much would it cost?

jerryfreak
2011-10-23, 06:12
told by who? nokia has never admitted a defect to my knowledge

id find someone on this board to fix it for you for $100. nokia might not even support the n900 at this point

stickymick
2011-10-23, 07:32
As far as I'm aware it's being treated as a manufacturing defect, and some N900 owners are being offered replacement N8s and E7s.

Leave a message in this thread: http://discussions.nokia.co.uk/t5/Maemo-and-MeeGo-Devices/Nokia-responds-to-reports-about-the-N900-micro-usb-port-getting/td-p/629019 over on the Nokia Support Discussins Forum. Vandelay will get back to you soon to discuss the issue.

jalyst
2011-10-23, 11:13
Bit late to be expecting a N900 replacement...
But you should get some kinda replacement if it's a genuine fault.

sethstorm
2011-10-23, 12:09
As far as I'm aware it's being treated as a manufacturing defect, and some N900 owners are being offered replacement N8s and E7s.

Leave a message in this thread: http://discussions.nokia.co.uk/t5/Maemo-and-MeeGo-Devices/Nokia-responds-to-reports-about-the-N900-micro-usb-port-getting/td-p/629019 over on the Nokia Support Discussins Forum. Vandelay will get back to you soon to discuss the issue.

As a point of clarification:
Is it a manufacturing defect that will be addressed out of warranty, or one that will only be addressed by Nokia in warranty?

shadowjk
2011-10-23, 13:08
Since a warranty specifically covers manufacturer defects, and since a warranty is time limited, and since Nokia hasn't declared any warranty extension for any issues at all, I wouldn't expect Nokia to do free repairs once the warranty expires.

sethstorm
2011-10-23, 14:37
Since a warranty specifically covers manufacturer defects, and since a warranty is time limited, and since Nokia hasn't declared any warranty extension for any issues at all, I wouldn't expect Nokia to do free repairs once the warranty expires.

I didn't think there was an extension for this specific issue, but this thread seemed to be unclear (given the original poster's question) about it.

gerbick
2011-10-23, 14:44
You're out of luck. Welcome to the great world of Nokia customer support.

persianprez
2011-10-24, 05:40
Thank you for your replies, I have posted on the nokia discussions board and hope to hear back. Don't know if I want my phone replaced with another model, I have a lot of experiments in process with my N900, but I guess I have no choice.

Arie
2011-10-24, 05:43
Thank you for your replies, I have posted on the nokia discussions board and hope to hear back. Don't know if I want my phone replaced with another model, I have a lot of experiments in process with my N900, but I guess I have no choice.

PM me, if you are deadbent on keeping your N9, I have someone local to you that should be able to fix the USB port.

PS I read your username as The Perser, lmao

persianprez
2011-10-24, 06:11
PM me, if you are deadbent on keeping your N9, I have someone local to you that should be able to fix the USB port.

PS I read your username as The Perser, lmao

Well the thing is, I want Nokia to do their part. I paid for their product and defects should always be covered, warranty or otherwise.

The Perser is borderline creepy lol.

Arie
2011-10-24, 06:22
Well the thing is, I want Nokia to do their part. I paid for their product and defects should always be covered, warranty or otherwise.

The Perser is borderline creepy lol.

Yeah, but still hilarious, like an angry Persian dad... Nokia will not honor anything on their behalf if you've owned the N900 over a year, I went through them over this in April of this year.

persianprez
2011-10-24, 06:26
Yeah, but still hilarious, like an angry Persian dad... Nokia will not honor anything on their behalf if you've owned the N900 over a year, I went through them over this in April of this year.
So you never got a replacement from them?

Arie
2011-10-24, 06:26
So you never got a replacement from them?

Nope, so unless it's under a year, you are out of luck.

persianprez
2011-10-24, 06:52
Nope, so unless it's under a year, you are out of luck.

Were you able to sell yours? If so how much may I ask? I would do this under my last resort, but I'd hate to lose all my work in progress.